Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy an Ardumoto Shield

Options
  • 14-04-2018 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, not sure if it's ok to post this but I need to get my hands on an Ardumoto Shield in a hurry, like tomorrow if possible. It's for a college project. Would anyone have one they could sell me? I'm based in Dublin on the northside.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

str33t wrote: »
    Hi, not sure if it's ok to post this but I need to get my hands on an Ardumoto Shield in a hurry, like tomorrow if possible. It's for a college project. Would anyone have one they could sell me? I'm based in Dublin on the northside.

A few equivalents on adverts eg. I used to have one these - and it worked really well.

https://touch.adverts.ie/other-electronics/motor-shield-l293d-for-arduino/8038797

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6 str33t

ozmo wrote: »
    A few equivalents on adverts eg. I used to have one these - and it worked really well.

Thanks for the info ozmo, much appreciated. I'm wondering if that shield would be suitable for the motors I'm using: https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-geared-motors/2389670/ They have a current rating of 2.75A. I've measured no-load current of around 0.5A at 12V. They'll be under a load of around 1.5kg. Not sure what the stall current is, but would be over 2A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

str33t wrote: »
    Thanks for the info ozmo, much appreciated. I'm wondering if that shield would be suitable for the motors I'm using: https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-geared-motors/2389670/ They have a current rating of 2.75A. I've measured no-load current of around 0.5A at 12V. They'll be under a load of around 1.5kg. Not sure what the stall current is, but would be over 2A.

For the sake of a tenner you may as well try. Hard pressed to find a motor driver on such short notice. That adverts seller allows for collections which is quite handy if you're near santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 str33t

eeguy wrote: »
    For the sake of a tenner you may as well try. Hard pressed to find a motor driver on such short notice. That adverts seller allows for collections which is quite handy if you're near santry.

Yeah true eeguy :) I've actually contacted him as regards an Ardumoto he has on offer but no reply yet. Apparently he's a good seller though, hopefully will hear back from him soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Your stall current (2A) is higher than one channel can supply (1.2A) but if you pair the channels up (2.4A) you should be fine

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/23702/can-i-wire-the-two-sides-of-a-l293d-dual-h-bridge-together-if-i-only-need-one-h

The L293D has a thermal shutdown so if you drive it a little hot to test it will be fine but you can't keep doing that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

ShRT wrote: »
    Your stall current (2A) is higher than one channel can supply (1.2A) but if you pair the channels up (2.4A) you should be fine

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/23702/can-i-wire-the-two-sides-of-a-l293d-dual-h-bridge-together-if-i-only-need-one-h

The L293D has a thermal shutdown so if you drive it a little hot to test it will be fine but you can't keep doing that

Interesting, thanks a lot ShRT. Say each driver channel was 2A (e.g. Ardumoto Shield) and the motor stall current was 2.75A, if the motor stalled would this fry the driver chip/board?

Thanks again for the help guys, I got the Ardumoto today from EstMV on adverts :) Very nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

street wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks a lot ShRT. Say each driver channel was 2A (e.g. Ardumoto Shield) and the motor stall current was 2.75A, if the motor stalled would this fry the driver chip/board?

In theory it shouldn't as it should cause a thermal shutdown once the power was too much for the chip. If you catch it quite quickly it's going to be fine but if you leave it just sitting there, it is going to fry it as it will keep cycling in and out of thermal shutdown. It's not designed to do that.

There is a difference between the L293D and the L293 - the D version has half the current carrying capacity. The max draw for the D is 1.2A for less than 100micro seconds.

ShRT wrote: »
    In theory it shouldn't as it should cause a thermal shutdown once the power was too much for the chip. If you catch it quite quickly it's going to be fine but if you leave it just sitting there, it is going to fry it as it will keep cycling in and out of thermal shutdown. It's not designed to do that.

There is a difference between the L293D and the L293 - the D version has half the current carrying capacity. The max draw for the D is 1.2A for less than 100micro seconds.

Ok cool, thanks ShRT :)

Advertisement