Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 935 or Fenix 5: opinions sought

• 14-04-2018 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi all,

As the subject states, I’m looking for opinions for use of either of these. I’m an average triathlete training four to six times per week. Mostly running. Some double training days. I have a TomTom Spark but the GPS struggles to find my pacing live and my results don’t reflect the effort I’ve done (have a friend who has one and his results were different on several identical training sessions recently). I’m thinking of upgrading. I want the added swim and cycle benefits that these two watches offer. Anyone with any experience like to talk me into their version?!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I've the Garmin 935 and can't fault it. Gets GPS nice and quick, lots of nice colours and numbers to look at, wrist HR is easy to use (less accurate than chest but accurate enough). If you want all these toys buy it (over a casio). It's slimline and wears like a wristwatch so thats an advantage over the Fenix5 (otherwise identical).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

935 here as well, only thing I'd say about it if you're going to depend on the wrist based HR you obviously need to wear it against your skin. If I'm wearing long sleeves running I prefer to have whatever device I'm using visible, so it's worn outside the sleeve, making the HR useless. That said I have no issue wearing a strap, and the wrist based HR is interesting for tracking your HR during the day/night. I went for the 935 as I felt it would be more discreet than the Fenix 5, as mentioned above it wears like a watch. Fantastic battery life as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The Fenix 5 has well known and documented ANT+ connectivity issues.
    The 935 does not have these bugs.

935 if you want it to work

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

tunney wrote: »
    The Fenix 5 has well known and documented ANT+ connectivity issues.
    The 935 does not have these bugs.

935 if you want it to work

Thanks Dave - important to know for my Zwift connectivity.

And thanks to the others for their replies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Recently replaced my 920 with a 935 - definitely worth it if for no reason other than no need to fart around with dodgy chest straps anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    I've the Garmin 935 and can't fault it. Gets GPS nice and quick, lots of nice colours and numbers to look at, wrist HR is easy to use (less accurate than chest but accurate enough). If you want all these toys buy it (over a casio). It's slimline and wears like a wristwatch so thats an advantage over the Fenix5 (otherwise identical).

i got pretty much rid of the casio too much tech for me lol

EC1000 wrote: »
    Recently replaced my 920 with a 935 - definitely worth it if for no reason other than no need to fart around with dodgy chest straps anymore.

I would not agree with that completely, if i want to use hr i want it to be correct and there is way too many glitches which optical ones till now.

I’m thinking of getting the tri bundle with the chest strap. My TomTom wrist-based one was completely unreliable - showing me in the high 170s when I was only jogging at a very low perceived effort.

peter kern wrote: »
    I would not agree with that completely, if i want to use hr i want it to be correct and there is way too many glitches which optical ones till now.

Doesn't work in the pool
    Crap on the bike
    Accurate enough on the run.

Tunney - just for clarification, is that wrist-based on the 935?

• Advertisement

Tunney - just for clarification, is that wrist-based on the 935?

Yes.

For the record it is not meant to work in the water. I am happy with the quality of the data from the oHR sensor while running.

Bike less so but its still right(ish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    Yes.

For the record it is not meant to work in the water. I am happy with the quality of the data from the oHR sensor while running.

Bike less so but its still right(ish)

I recently picked up a 235 for OHR alone... I am pretty surprised at how well/accurately it works

Thanks.

Gonna go for the straps version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    I recently picked up a 235 for OHR alone... I am pretty surprised at how well/accurately it works

I take it back. HR sits at exactly 103 constantly while on a bike now.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I take it back. HR sits at exactly 103 constantly while on a bike now.[

https://www.polar.com/blog/optical-heart-rate-tracking-polar/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 snaffled

I have the slightly older Fenix 3 and have been really happy.  It looks slightly less like a sports watch than others (at work etc), ANT+ for heartrate to Zwift no problems, GPS quick and accurate and battery life excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I'm an average runner, I do a few 5K and 10K runs. I have no plans to run a half or a full marathon at the moment. I use my phone with an app to track my runs and progress. I really like watches and in particular, the look of Fenix 5 and 935. I am probably mad to even look at both as they seem to be more for triathletes than your average Joe. I had a Samsung Gear S3 before but sold soon after, the battery was terrible. The Garmin watches have a great battery life. Am I mad to even consider one of these watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

I recently upgraded from the 235 to the 935. The 935 is unreal. It's sleak enough to wear daily. The info output is incredible. It has every stat imaginable, be it for swimming, cycling or running. Would I get it if I wasnt doing half and full distance triathlons? Possibly would because I love gadgets but there might just be too much in it for a lot of people. Having said that, if you're not bothered by price, then go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hey, just digging this up again.
    Recently turned 40 and the family want to put money towards a new watch

Anyone any advice on which to go for the Fenix 5S plus €645, which seems to have gotten rid of the connectivity issues according to DC Rainmaker

or the Forerunner 935

I dont have the time these days to train as much as I once did, the music option definitely appeals to me, it also feels like more of a day-to-day watch than the forerunner

All opinions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Just to possibly confuse the issue, isn’t there a 945 now with a music option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

EDit wrote: »

I have the 945. It has music and also Garmin pay, which is really handy. Love the watch. Looks identical to the 935 but it is a major upgrade.

I have the 945. It has music and also Garmin pay, which is really handy. Love the watch. Looks identical to the 935 but it is a major upgrade.

I also have the 945

Its buggy, I'm already on my second one as the OHRs crack. it scratches easily and the battery life is sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

EDit wrote: »

Just to confuse it even more there's about to be a Fenix 6, apparently with a solar charged model. See above re the 945 though, I've had several Garmin devices on release and most have been buggy as hell and need at least a couple of software updates to sort issues.

https://the5krunner.com/2019/08/03/garmin-fenix-6-production/

Advertisement