Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap areas to consider for buying /commute to Booterstown

Options
  • 14-04-2018 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, please help to choose nice and safe area to buy with a reasonable price. Work near Booterstown, and commute is really important.
    Choosing between Bray, Shankill, cheaper parts of Dun Laoghaire (like Sallynoggin), Ringsend, Harold's Cross, Connolly station, Drumcondra, Phibsborough, Broadstone - would appreciate if anyone could areas to consider.
    Would prefer area where most people own properties not rent (these are usually more quiet) and really looking for something with gas.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

East Wall/North Strand? Walking distance to Clontarf and Connolly DART.
    Edenmore? Further out, but walking distance to Harmonstown and Raheny stations - really good location - as is anywhere adjoining Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Kilbarrack on the Briarfield Road side of the DART. It's very difficult to get anything at the moment as the area is seeing a bit of popularity because of price due to it's outdated reputation. As above Edenmore is in a similar situation. There is a house up for 300K but it's on the 'wrong side of the tracks' IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 p17s82

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anywhere on the Northside Dart line will be more affordable (No where in Dublin is cheap) then south side, and the commute will be easy.
    Thank you. This is clear in most cases (unless compare Seaside part of Killester with Bray, for example), however I've seen particular parts of Northside DART not to be nice at all (Howth Junction and Clongriffin, for example)
    spurious wrote: »
    East Wall/North Strand? Walking distance to Clontarf and Connolly DART.
    Edenmore? Further out, but walking distance to Harmonstown and Raheny stations - really good location - as is anywhere adjoining Raheny.
    Thank you. Heard very bad feedback on East Wall and the whole peninsula in general. Haven't been to Edenmore so far, hope it is different from Donaghmede Shopping Center area :)
    Kilbarrack on the Briarfield Road side of the DART. It's very difficult to get anything at the moment as the area is seeing a bit of popularity because of price due to it's outdated reputation. As above Edenmore is in a similar situation. There is a house up for 300K but it's on the 'wrong side of the tracks' IMHO.
    Thank you. Seaside part near Kilbarrack is really nice, walked there number of times, but I don't see anything there for an affordable price. Most of the properties there seem to be big and thus expensive.

I see pretty cheap properties in Irishtown, near Doddler. Is it really that bad, if it's so much cheaper than the area around Grand Canal Dock DART?
    Checking the commute options, buses 4, 7, 7A are also an option (that's why added Drumcondra, Phibsborough, Broadstone to the list, and there are some areas on Southside as well, e.g. Glenageary, Loughlinstown). I know that there is some buses to Sandyford as well, however these are not on the main but corridor and are not very reliable, and I don't really know anything about Sandyford except that there seem to be no pubs there :) ).

p17s82 wrote: »
    Thank you. Seaside part near Kilbarrack is really nice, walked there number of times, but I don't see anything there for an affordable price. Most of the properties there seem to be big and thus expensive.

You One needs to come into the ex-corporation estate rather than Foxfield which is accepted to be Raheny by the locals. Due to the name change and building type you can bag a bargain two-three streets over from an area where you need at least 500K to even get a look in.

You One needs to come into the ex-corporation estate rather than Foxfield which is accepted to be Raheny by the locals. Due to the name change and building type you can bag a bargain two-three streets over from an area where you need at least 500K to even get a look in.
    Thanks Samuel. I'm not local and live in a different part of Dublin, can you please point me out which areas do you mean?

• Advertisement

Thanks Samuel. I'm not local and live in a different part of Dublin, can you please point me out which areas do you mean?

Briarfield Road, Grove, Villas etc. It's an ex-corpo estate. Roseglen road also. Might not be your cup of tea - I like it though :)

Briarfield Road, Grove, Villas etc. It's an ex-corpo estate. Roseglen road also. Might not be your cup of tea - I like it though :)
    Thank you Samuel, will monitor - can't even evaluate if it does squeeze into the budget, as there are no offers on Daft currently, but I had an impression that it is expensive (i.e. starting around 350-400 for 2bed). Will check if anything appears there.

Thank you Samuel, will monitor - can't even evaluate if it does squeeze into the budget, as there are no offers on Daft currently, but I had an impression that it is expensive (i.e. starting around 350-400 for 2bed). Will check if anything appears there.

Last 3 bed went for 321K - keep an eye on the PPR. (Property Price Register).

You will get something cheaper (300K) on the other side of the tracks but I just get a different vibe over there. That said, never saw any trouble or anything.

Cards on the table littler is a big issue.

Last 3 bed went for 321K - keep an eye on the PPR. (Property Price Register).

You will get something cheaper (300K) on the other side of the tracks but I just get a different vibe over there. That said, never saw any trouble or anything.

Cards on the table littler is a big issue.

Wow, 321 for 3bed sounds. And thanks for PPR, really useful source!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank you. Heard very bad feedback on East Wall and the whole peninsula in general. Haven't been to Edenmore so far, hope it is different from Donaghmede Shopping Center area :)

Not sure what you mean about the area around Donaghmede SC.
    Likewise East Wall...full of old people, unless you go down to the new builds.
    Don't listen to feedback from twenty years ago.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean about the area around Donaghmede SC.
    Likewise East Wall...full of old people, unless you go down to the new builds.
    Don't listen to feedback from twenty years ago.
    Thank you. East Wall. May be I need to get there and sea, but looks a bit strange, don't know how to explain, I used to live in an area, isolated from the rest of the city by railroads and the see (in a different city), that wasn't something one would really enjoy, and it became very bad and criminal in several years. May be, it is different in Dublin.
    The Donaghmede impressed us in a way that most of the area looks completely empty and dead, but everything around the shopping centre (one of a very few there) is extremely packed with cars and people, most of which are smoking and drinking right on the street (including pregnant women). There is nice park to walk, but you wouldn't really like to walk on the streets there. May be, my mistake is that I compare it with Ballsbridge where I live for last 1.5 years, but actually Dun Laoghaire, Bray, Ranelagh, as well as seaside side of Killester, Raheny, Kilbarrack look much more interesting

Killbarrack and Donaghmede (and Raheny tbh) have their rough spots right enough. Most people are harmless to everyone but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

I see pretty cheap properties in Irishtown, near Doddler. Is it really that bad, if it's so much cheaper than the area around Grand Canal Dock DART?

Parts of it are prone to floods - see news for the past few years.

Would you consider apartment? Elm Park apartments may be within reach.

Sorry for not posting, was on vacation.
    I've had a walk to East Wall, then riverside to Drumcondra, and back via Montjoy sq and Summerhill. Actually, East Wall is OK (quite quiet, close to city center, has Lidl and Aldi) and North Strand towards Drumcondra is really nice. I've also heard really nice feedback about Drimhagh from my local pub manager, the only thing is commute.

Looking forward, found really affordable prices around Maryland and Warrenmount (2bed houses for about 200k) - anybody knows why?
    vrusinov wrote: »

Apartment/house - does not really matter, each has it's own advantages (apartments are generally in better condition, house offers a yard with bbq and less neighbors -> less noise from them and from me to them). Elm Park offers 1bed for 295k, which is too much, looking for 2bed around this price..

vrusinov wrote: »

Now seriously thinking about Elm Park. Does anyone know, what could be the reason apartments there are cheaper than in the area around (e.g. 44 sqm 2bed without any balcony in Merrion Village with starting price 399k VS 50+ sqm 1bed in Elm Park starting 295k)?

Advertisement