Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Build

Options
  • 15-04-2018 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to FINALLY get a new PC this summer. As brilliant as my current one has been for almost a decade, it just doesn't cut it anymore with the more modern titles. I've saved up money for a long time now, but at the same time I don't want to blow the entirety of the budget. I'm not a huge gamer but the games I enjoy are quite heavy, my current PC is struggling with some of them particurly the building games when it comes to late game.

I know the very very basics about PCs, but when it comes to things like which coolers/power cords/motherboards/etc to use, I'm stumped. At the end is a spec list of something I've put together. The majority of the components I've put in because I haven't a clue what the best choice would be for my needs. I know there's no way to 100% future proof any PC, but ideally I'm looking for something that will do me for at least 10 years if not more (if possible).

1. What is your budget? Up to €2,000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (ARK Survival Evolved, Factorio, Call of Duty, Far Cry 5, GTA 5, Jurassic World Evolution)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Unknown - my current monitor input is a Samsung HDTV and I'm very happy with it, but I'm not sure whether I need/should upgrade to a brand new monitor - advice welcome

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 24'

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1920x1080

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Speakers

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Card

9. When are you purchasing? Summer/Autumn

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Limerick

Specs (advice greatly appreciated):
    - CPU: Intel Core i7-8700
    - Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix Z370-E
    - RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz
    - Graphics card: nVidia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB
    - HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Sata-III 3.5" HDD
    - SSD: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2
    - Power supply: Corsair 850W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus

* The above spec list is something I just put together will-nilly. I haven't a clue whether it's good/bad/indifferent. Like I said, I know squat about PC building and chose those components on a PC building sales website. It's probably way over the top for what I actually need, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Many of the components I just randomly chose a medium/high version (e.g the power cable, motherboard, CPU) because I just didn't know which would be best. Thanks.

One more thing, are those special cooling components (e.g. hydro cooling, etc) actually worth it or is the standard cooling sufficent? Thanks again.

Advertisement