Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amstel Gold 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Weepsie wrote: »
    Might have to expect Eddie Dunbar to be told to go with the breaks whenever there's a chance by the team. Given their lack of tour invites, they need as much air time as possible.

At this stage of his career he is not going to be in contention for a result in these kinds of races so going in the break makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Very impressive from Valgren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Yeah he's shown before he can win against the big guns. Seems amazing how big name riders like Valverde & Alaphilippe can look strong, ride 260 kms & then just sit back & watch the obvious winning move disappear up the road. A bit different perhaps for Sagan who seems to be keen to let everyone know he's perfectly prepared to lose rather than be everyone's donkey - though looking back on Flanders - an obviously much bigger race for him - I was surprised by his non-reaction to Terpstra's attack.

A more enjoyable circuit for me than previous editions I've seen where it was all about charging up the final climb which was kind of one-dimensional.

I liked that Eddie saw Sagan pass him and tucked in the back of that group and stayed there for as long as he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

pelevin wrote: »
    Yeah he's shown before he can win against the big guns. Seems amazing how big name riders like Valverde & Alaphilippe can look strong, ride 260 kms & then just sit back & watch the obvious winning move disappear up the road. A bit different perhaps for Sagan who seems to be keen to let everyone know he's perfectly prepared to lose rather than be everyone's donkey.

Yes in order to win some, Sagan has to show he is quite happy to lose too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i watched the last 30km and followed on Twitter. Dunbar looked bolloxed when passed by the Sagan group. He did a good days work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Eddie Dunbar came home at 3.26 down which was amasign for a neo pro in the break all day

Finished ahead of alot of seasoned pros

I dotn think people should big him up so much though
    Putting too much pressure on him too soon

At 21 there is time for him to develop at a slower pace

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

What happened to dan is down as DNF

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Good on the lad, he finished that in likely half the time it would take most of us morals !!!!!

Noting finish list cycling news have up so many DNF's and they have Dunbar at 81st, then everyone at 4:50 down has a DNF?????

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/amstel-gold-race-2018/results/

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    i watched the last 30km and followed on Twitter. Dunbar looked bolloxed when passed by the Sagan group. He did a good days work!

I was watching it from long before the last 30km. Up until the point he cracked Dunbar looked strong and comfortable and was often leading the group up the climbs. Great coverage for him and Aquablue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was watching it from long before the last 30km. Up until the point he cracked Dunbar looked strong and comfortable and was often leading the group up the climbs. Great coverage for him and Aquablue.
    Watched the last 55ish, and he was responsible for shelling a few out of the break from what I saw. Hugely impressive performance - he wasn't just hanging on to the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Good on the lad, he finished that in likely half the time it would take most of us morals !!!!!

Noting finish list cycling news have up so many DNF's and they have Dunbar at 81st, then everyone at 4:50 down has a DNF?????

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/amstel-gold-race-2018/results/

Would imagine that they were pulled from the course. You couldn't have back markers and cavalcade running through the finish area while the lead bunch was coming through for places.

Plastik wrote: »
    Would imagine that they were pulled from the course. You couldn't have back markers and cavalcade running through the finish area while the lead bunch was coming through for places.

Ah of course, I forgot they were on a circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

What's the story with Dan Martin. He has been very anonymous so far this year. It's going to be a big ask to come good in time for LBL.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    What's the story with Dan Martin. He has been very anonymous so far this year. It's going to be a big ask to come good in time for LBL.

He often has a slow start to the year.
    And is usually a DNF in Amstel Gold.

La Fleche Wallonne on Wednesday will be a good indicator of the condition that he's in.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Watched the last 55ish, and he was responsible for shelling a few out of the break from what I saw. Hugely impressive performance - he wasn't just hanging on to the break.

One thing I missed though (between ad breaks and getting another tea) was was he shelled after Gasparotto and Kreuzinger came across or did it happen just before this ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It was after they got across. They were drilling it on the Cauberg and he couldn't stay with them.

One thing I missed though (between ad breaks and getting another tea) was was he shelled after Gasparotto and Kreuzinger came across or did it happen just before this ?

Gasparotto and Kreuziger had caught/joined the breakaway and then Dunbar was dropped IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

He often has a slow start to the year.
    And is usually a DNF in Amstel Gold.

La Fleche Wallonne on Wednesday will be a good indicator of the condition that he's in.

I know he's been injured but this is a very poor year so far for him. He usually makes some shape at Catalunya at least. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him in contention for the Ardennes at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

I know he's been injured but this is a very poor year so far for him. He usually makes some shape at Catalunya at least. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him in contention for the Ardennes at all.

He was talking up his chances last week. He said he is in good form but he just hasn't had good luck yet this season.

He is the best judge of how his form is so I'd say he will still be in contention this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

I think Sagan was strong enough to bridge to the front lads in Amstel. He waited for a sprint for the win that never happened, but also sent an message to his rivals that he is willing to throw away races if he is being marked out of it. This will important for future races--ones arguably more important to Sagan--when rivals realise they also have to do some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

nialljf wrote: »
    This will important for future races--ones arguably more important to Sagan--when rivals realise they also have to do some work.
    He's done this a lot already, including in Flanders this year. They're not getting the message. Being prepared to lose to win is one thing, but at the moment this tactic is playing out for Sagan as being prepared to lose, to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

nialljf wrote: »
    I think Sagan was strong enough to bridge to the front lads in Amstel. He waited for a sprint for the win that never happened, but also sent an message to his rivals that he is willing to throw away races if he is being marked out of it. This will important for future races--ones arguably more important to Sagan--when rivals realise they also have to do some work.

Think you're right that long term it may help Sagan for rivals to know he is willing to play chicken and not give in. Can see why Valverde and Alaphilippe didn't want to help him bridge across as he would be stronger than them in the end but next time they may think twice about just sitting on and hoping he'll crack and chase down a lead

coco0981 wrote: »
    Think you're right that long term it may help Sagan for rivals to know he is willing to play chicken and not give in. Can see why Valverde and Alaphilippe didn't want to help him bridge across as he would be stronger than them in the end but next time they may think twice about just sitting on and hoping he'll crack and chase down a lead

Yes and remember Sagan won just the week before in a much bigger race and would be happy with his lot. If I were Alaphilippe I'd be quite happy to work with Sagan and go for podium.

Advertisement