Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change

Options
  • 15-04-2018 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone has any advise for my friend. She is a stay at home mam also minds other children for income. She is married and her husband has an income but not earning enough to support her also. They have a mortgage. She wants to get back in to the work force but never went to collage and doesnt have any experience. But she is smart and I know there is so many different jobs she would be good at. Her passions are dance and acting. She is quite depressed I think it's more about getting out and interacting with adults everyday. I want to give her advise but don't know where to start.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Mandy86 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Wondering if anyone has any advise for my friend. She is a stay at home mam also minds other children for income. She is married and her husband has an income but not earning enough to support her also. They have a mortgage. She wants to get back in to the work force but never went to collage and doesnt have any experience. But she is smart and I know there is so many different jobs she would be good at. Her passions are dance and acting. She is quite depressed I think it's more about getting out and interacting with adults everyday. I want to give her advise but don't know where to start.
    Thanks

Looking after kids can be a nice earner. Acting and dancing would be classed as hobbies for most people, even if there are a lot more Extra roles now available they are piecemeal and not exactly careers.

My wife was in a similar position minding other kids, had been working in the bank took a good few years off raising kids and went back to college. The course she did she applied as a mature student (wouldn't have got it through her leaving cert results) and is now working in a related field.

Although, your friend will likely not be earning for a few years if she did that so may not be an option.

I do know companies are crying out for admin people, would that be an option for her. My wife similarly craved to get back meeting and engaging with adults again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mandy86

Thanks I will say it to her about going back to collage as a mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Try an exhaust an avenue of nepotism or maybe a career in insurance, most large insurance companies train you up on their systems and sponsor your education from APC onwards.

Or do the APC on her own back 900 euro.

https://www.iii.ie/

Advertisement