Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nurofen VS Solpadeine VS Paracetamol

• 15-04-2018 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi there,

Apologies if i'm posting this in the wrong sub forum, but I thought the community in 'Nutrition & Diet' might know the answer to my question.

I've noticed a lot of people (including myself) taking more and more of Nurofen, Solpadeine and Paracetamol for various colds and flus, etc... over the last 12 months.

Can anyone outline what each one is for as I find a lot of people taking these without knowing what each one is, and more importantly what it is primarily for.

I also understand there might be a common mixture across some of these... so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nurofen is an anti-inflammatory. Or rather it contains ibuprofen which is an anti inflammatory.

Solpadeine contains paracetamol and usually caffeine.

Variations of both also include codeine which is an opiate and for pain relief.

Paracetamol is for pain relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Cool, thanks for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Neurofen plus and solpadeine are highly addictive due to codeine content which is basically a legal version of heroin.paracetamol is not proven to be addictive but has a tight therapeutic range which means you should only take the recommended dose as an overdose can occur easily.
    For colds and flu paracetamol is perfect with 2 tablets every 4 hours for the average adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Paracetamol is an analgesic, helps reduce temp
    Nurofen is anti-inflammatory
    Codeine is a stronger pain relief then.
    So for flu and the likes paracetamol is prob fine, joint pain Nurofen would be better. A decongestant is prob better for a cold rather than any painkillers as such

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thanks for the help all, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I did not think that Neurofen contained opiate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

Goat2. It doesn't unless you buy Nurofen plus. Nurofen (ibprofen) is also not addictive as mentioned above unless you are regularly taking ibuprofen tablets that have caffine as an extra.

As for the OP. Paracetamol is for pain but also takes a temp down as does ibuprofen so with a flu it is helpful. Also recommended daily doses are no more than 4g paracetamol in 24 hours and 1200mg ibuprofen in 24 hours although some illnesses may require more than the recommended daily doses but only on doctors advice.

Goat2. It doesn't unless you buy Nurofen plus. Nurofen (ibprofen) is also not addictive as mentioned above unless you are regularly taking ibuprofen tablets that have caffine as an extra.

As for the OP. Paracetamol is for pain but also takes a temp down as does ibuprofen so with a flu it is helpful. Also recommended daily doses are no more than 4g paracetamol in 24 hours and 1200mg ibuprofen in 24 hours although some illnesses may require more than the recommended daily doses but only on doctors advice.

Nurofen plus has Codeine, not caffeine.

I am aware of that thanks Basil3 but there are also Nurofen/ibuprofen tablets sold with caffine.... like faster acting or even the tablets marketed at period cramp relief. My point anyway is the caffine in these makes them addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You need to tiny careful of paracetamol - if you are taking it for say a hurty elbow and then get a flu and take something containing it, it's easy enough to kill yourself or wreck some of your internal organs

Worst part for all involved : when (if ) you make it to hospital, there won't be enough floating around in your blood to alert them in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

https://www.nhs.uk/CHQ/Pages/857.aspx

You can take ibuprofen and paracetamol together also

I am aware of that thanks Basil3 but there are also Nurofen/ibuprofen tablets sold with caffine.... like faster acting or even the tablets marketed at period cramp relief. My point anyway is the caffine in these makes them addictive.

It's the codeine in Nurofen plus that is addictive.

Basil3. I'm not denying codine is addictive as it is but it's actually the caffine in some medications that make them addictive is what I'm getting at. As in solpadine is more addictive than solpadol despite the fact that solpadol has more codine and that is due to the caffine in solpadine. This was something I found both shocking and surprising when studying and researching pain medicine. I would have always thought it was the codine myself. Also some people become addicted to taking paracetamol or ibuprofen which don't include codine but do include caffine. It's something I took note of after finding this out though and I tend to avoid any medications with caffine added.... I am addicted enough to drinking coffee as it is 😂

Advertisement