Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term tenant worries

Options
  • 15-04-2018 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Folks,

I purchased a buy to let property from a friend back in 2013. For various reasons i decided to retain the tenant, which so far has caused no issues. Hes a good tenant, looks after the place, and payment is from HAP.

The tenant was there for 8 years before i bought the property, so a total of 12-13 years now.

Due to the 7 year CBT rule, I want to sell the property in two years time, and im slightly worried i might have issues given how the long the tenant has lived here. He has 6 kids, all schooled etc in the immediate area.

Should i be worried? Could they make things difficult for me i.e. have longer term tenants any extra rights?

Thanks,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They can't make it any more difficult just because they've been there a long time, whether they're make it difficult is possibly more likely given they've been there a long time will be down to the person. Just give them bags of notice and if they find something quicker let them out of the remainder of the notice.

At the end of the day it's the risks renters take sans a long term rental framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My entire sympathy is with the tenant. That place holds so much of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Graces7 wrote: »

6 kids and reliant on handouts?

Yeah, deserves a lot of sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Really, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

A place which the tenant doesn’t own.

OP as another poster said you will need to provide the tenant with as much notice as possible to find somewhere else to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

amcalester wrote: »
    6 kids and reliant on handouts?

Yeah, deserves a lot of sympathy.

"Handouts"? You mean legitimate welfare payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

AKA handouts!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yes, just because it’s a legitimate welfare payment doesn’t mean it’s not a handout.

That’s the risk when one depends on handouts, a lack of certainty and control over ones own life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

House is under a HAP payment but how do we know they are on social and not working?

You can be in a HAP house and still be working paying taxes yourself. The rent amount would be decided on family income then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

It's great that people reliant on handouts can just go and have 6 kids no bother. Sure the rest of us can just pick up the cost. Nice job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Is it not the most realistic eventuality for every renter though? Like another poster said, at the end of the day the tenant does not own the property. This is one of the risks. I say that having gone through this exact situation myself - long term renter, house was sold. I had no hard feelings towards the landlord - it was his property ultimately.

OP, like others have said I would give as much notice as you possibly can to the tenant. Do everything as by the book as you can in relation to the eviction notice etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is it not the most realistic eventuality for every renter though? Like another poster said, at the end of the day the tenant does not own the property. This is one of the risks. I say that having gone through this exact situation myself - long term renter, house was sold. I had no hard feelings towards the landlord - it was his property ultimately.

OP, like others have said I would give as much notice as you possibly can to the tenant. Do everything as by the book as you can in relation to the eviction notice etc

This may be a bit off topic but is the tenant being evicted or getting a notice to vacate the house?

I thought eviction was when the courts got involved. Can anyone provide some information on this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Lot of unfounded assumptions being made here gotta love Boards. OP as already said give your tenant as much notice as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the required notice period for a tenant there that long is 16 weeks (112 days) , OP id give 180 days notice and engage a solicitor to make sure that it is all done above board and in writing (there are so many agencies determined to find flaws to allow tenants to remain in a landlords property against their will)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

the required notice period for a tenant there that long is 16 weeks (112 days) , OP id give 180 days notice and engage a solicitor to make sure that it is all done above board and in writing (there are so many agencies determined to find flaws to allow tenants to remain in a landlords property against their will)

The notice period is 32 weeks. Give 180 days notice and the tenant will challenge you and win and you will have to start again. You should instruct an experienced lawyer to act for you. You are likely to be led astray by some of the online advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

This may be a bit off topic but is the tenant being evicted or getting a notice to vacate the house?

I thought eviction was when the courts got involved. Can anyone provide some information on this please?

Apologies, I could be getting the terminology incorrect there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

OP you do know that you don’t have to wait 7 years? That rule was done away with in the last budget. Previously you had to wait 7 years to avail of the CGT exemption.

Unless there’s a benefit in keeping it another 2 years, significant increase in value I’d look to give notice now and sell when you can and then you will know whether tenant intends putting up a fight or not. If he does dig in it could take 2 years to get him out anyway.

OP you do know that you don’t have to wait 7 years? That rule was done away with in the last budget. Previously you had to wait 7 years to avail of the CGT exemption.

Unless there’s a benefit in keeping it another 2 years, significant increase in value I’d look to give notice now and sell when you can and then you will know whether tenant intends putting up a fight or not. If he does dig in it could take 2 years to get him out anyway.

It is not just the tenant putting up a fight. As a HAP tenant he won't be rehoused until he has actually been evicted. the council will tell him to stay put until the sherrif comes. No way is the tenant going quietly anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

superd1978 wrote: »
    Hes a good tenant, looks after the place, living there total of 12-13 years now.

Due to the 7 year CBT rule

Should i be worried?

Someone has been paying you and your friends mortgage for over a decade without issue.

You should give him the respect he deserves and talk to him.

Some psychos on here think you need to instruct a solicitor, if you start by threatening him over what has been his home for longer than you have been the landlord, you will get a hostile response.

The guidelines are minimums, not targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

househero wrote: »
    Someone has been paying you and your friends mortgage for over a decade without issue.

Some psychos on here think you need to instruct a solicitor, if you start by threatening him over what has been his homethe pile of bricks and wood that he has signed an agreement to exchange all our tax money for for longer than you have been the landlord, you will get a hostile response.

fyp

• Advertisement

Some psychos on here think you need to instruct a solicitor, if you start by threatening him over what has been his home for longer than you have been the landlord, you will get a hostile response.

Pscyho or not, my advice to the o/p is to instruct a solicitor to draw up the paper work. If he wants the tenant out he will have to have his paperwork perfectly in order. This is a HAP tenant. The tenant can't just up and move on learning the o/p is selling. There is no question of talking to the tenant. Hostility doesn't come into it. It is just business.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Depending on location, the tenant may find that they can't rent a large enough home as close to their current schools, and as such Threshold will advise them to overhold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Respecting a good tenant and making sure you do things by the books and cover yourself are not two mutually exclusive things.

It is a good idea for the OP both to talk to their tenant timely and respectfully and also to take legal advice and make sure they give notice according to the law in a way which can't be legally challanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I think you should go to the RTB And ask what the entitlements are from the tenants perspective and then live up to all your obligations. Have a solicitor check your notice, and if you are selling, you must issue a Statutory Declaration to that effect. If you have any errors in your notice or fail to issue the statutory declaration the tenant can challenge the notice and their notice period will start again. As far as I know it is 4 weeks for every year they've lived there although there could be a maximum limit on this.

You don't need to have the solicitor do your dealing with the tenant but do have them check the notice etc to make sure all is above board.

It's unfortunate for the tenant and I sympathise with any tenant in this situation but that is the nature of renting, and this person has every right to sell the property if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

At the end of the day it's the risks renters take sans a long term rental framework.

Because renting is clearly just a lifestyle choice; I mean, it's not like people are so desperate to buy a house they're queuing for days outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Creol1 wrote: »
    Because renting is clearly just a lifestyle choice; I mean, it's not like people are so desperate to buy a house they're queuing for days outside.

Renters get the same voting rights, sans immigration demographics, that owners do. Votes influence legislation. It's not the fault of LL's that there is no long term rental framework in place.

Also those people queuing for a house don't even want long term rentals. You're hardly going to commit to a twenty year lease if you're buying a house are you? What's good for the goose and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

househero wrote:

Are you suggesting that the op has no rights to get his property back?

And you are incorrect about them paying the mortgage. Tax will have been taken from the subsidized rate that is HAP, the same time that goes towards paying that same HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yeah OP. You should just give him the house, because sentimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yep. I have. And you have. And everybody else who pays tax has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Are you suggesting that the op has no rights to get his property back?

And you are incorrect about them paying the mortgage. Tax will have been taken from the subsidized rate that is HAP, the same time that goes towards paying that same HAP.

HAP actually isn't paid out of exchequer funding; it's paid by local councils, whose main income is commercial rates.

Advertisement