Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Holiday Boston -> NYC 2 weeks

Options
  • 15-04-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

We're planning a 2 week holiday in the North East, arriving into BOS and departing Newark 2 weeks later, end of July.

3 kids - 15 (girl) and 11 (boy and girl).

Both myself and my wife have been to the US many times on work trips, so we've done the major sites, but for the kids its their first time.

We've 4 nights arranged in NYC at the end, so I'm interested in anyone's recommendations for teenagers in NYC (other than the obvious - Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Macy's Times Squear, Central Park etc).

Also, we're not a family that does 8 hours on a beach, but will want to go to the seaside.

Sort of thinking:

2 nights Boston, see the city
    Get a car (5 people plus 5 suitcases -> we need a big car :D)
    Maybe a day north of Boston, Salem etc
    Then down towards Cape Cod.
    Last 4 nights in NYC

There's lots of places all along the BOS->NYC route, and we've no aversion to detouring for a night or 2 to see somewhere else. Even drive down to Washington DC for a night.

Anyone any recommendations for either seaside or inland in the north east?

(I've driven lots in the US so am comfortable with driving over there).

Wouldn't mind going to maybe a baseball game but have been told that if you've no particular affinity for the teams, then its damn boring!

And, I've already mapped out the Cheesecake Factory locations.........

Thanks
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

lobbylad wrote: »
    Hi,

We're planning a 2 week holiday in the North East, arriving into BOS and departing Newark 2 weeks later, end of July.

3 kids - 15 (girl) and 11 (boy and girl).

Both myself and my wife have been to the US many times on work trips, so we've done the major sites, but for the kids its their first time.

We've 4 nights arranged in NYC at the end, so I'm interested in anyone's recommendations for teenagers in NYC (other than the obvious - Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Macy's Times Squear, Central Park etc).

Also, we're not a family that does 8 hours on a beach, but will want to go to the seaside.

Sort of thinking:

2 nights Boston, see the city
    Get a car (5 people plus 5 suitcases -> we need a big car :D)
    Maybe a day north of Boston, Salem etc
    Then down towards Cape Cod.
    Last 4 nights in NYC

There's lots of places all along the BOS->NYC route, and we've no aversion to detouring for a night or 2 to see somewhere else. Even drive down to Washington DC for a night.

Anyone any recommendations for either seaside or inland in the north east?

(I've driven lots in the US so am comfortable with driving over there).

Wouldn't mind going to maybe a baseball game but have been told that if you've no particular affinity for the teams, then its damn boring!

And, I've already mapped out the Cheesecake Factory locations.........

Thanks
    Paddy

Hi

Newport RI would be a must see if you ask me.

Mystic CT is also supposed to be nice.

Also as regards baseball, unless you understand it it can be boring, given also that there is a game almost every night it does not have the "big game" appeal that an NFL or college football would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 udun

I'd recommend going to see a red sox game (Fenway Park) . I have an understanding of baseball but not a fan of any team in particular but the atmosphere there is incredible. It really is quite fun and especially for a family.

If you have the time, spend a day or two on Cape cod it really is a beautiful place, especially in the sun (it gets very hot there) . The whale/dolphin watching trips in provincetown(northern tip of Cape cod) are wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

https://www.tenement.org

The Tenement museum is very good, even for teenagers.
    Does not take too much time, but well worth it.

Advertisement