Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhouse/Polytunnel Question

Options
  • 15-04-2018 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have built myself a small 6 x 4 foot greenhouse. Its very much a DIY job using clear plastic like what you'd get on a poly tunnel. I'm realy happy with how it turned out, very sturdy and a perfect size for my needs/spave available. I went in about a half hour after I had finished and it was very steamy and humid, and then I realized one wall of the greenhouse is the concrete shed wall, and on that is a window and as the tumble drier is in the shed the steam comes out the window and straight into the greenhouse. I'm just wondering is this a good thing for the plants that'd be in it? It's not chemicals or anything, just steam so I'm assuming it can only be a good thing. Just wanted to see what peoples opinions on this was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Humidity in general is not a good thing in a greenhouse in my experience as it will assist in the propagation of fungal disease. Did not ventilate my poly-tunnel properly and lost the full crop of tomatoes to blight due to poor humidity control in the first summer from putting the plastic on. Might be good if you wanted to grow some tropical plants but if you're going for standard vegetables I would think it would be more harm than good to have elevated humidity in your greenhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

macraignil wrote: »
    Humidity in general is not a good thing in a greenhouse in my experience as it will assist in the propagation of fungal disease. Did not ventilate my poly-tunnel properly and lost the full crop of tomatoes to blight due to poor humidity control in the first summer from putting the plastic on. Might be good if you wanted to grow some tropical plants but if you're going for standard vegetables I would think it would be more harm than good to have elevated humidity in your greenhouse.[/quote

Agreed!
    Plus you will have a perfect environment for the growth and propagation of all sorts of bacterial moulds and deseases

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GuitarTown

Thanks for the advice, I'm glad I asked now! It's not going to be a problem as its just a matter of directing the pipe with the steam away from that window to another way out of the shed. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

or...you could try to collect the steam, condense/cool it and use it to automatically water your plants :D

Advertisement