Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Has anyone any experience with an Astonenergy monoculture or Diamond High Digestibility? Residuals look very good and having problems with a fresh reseed of Abergain, Aberchoice and Drumbo atm. Cows hate it.

You could try Agritech No 4 or 4a if you dont want clover. Good results around this area with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Has anyone any experience with an Astonenergy monoculture or Diamond High Digestibility? Residuals look very good and having problems with a fresh reseed of Abergain, Aberchoice and Drumbo atm. Cows hate it.

Declare me bonkers.

But seawater sprayed on at 4 litres per acre diluted at 20:1 would solve those palatable issues.
    The only caveat being I think you're nearly better doing it in a wet time just in case it might slightly add to a faster drying up of soil. With the memories of last year still fresh.

But I've done it myself and it definitely would improve those palatable issues.
    I kind of think it wouldn't matter which varieties you use after. I've Tyrella in a field and kind of had problems before but went with the diluted seawater two years ago and no problems since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Declare me bonkers.

But seawater sprayed on at 4 litres per acre diluted at 20:1 would solve those palatable issues.
    The only caveat being I think you're nearly better doing it in a wet time just in case it might slightly add to a faster drying up of soil. With the memories of last year still fresh.

I kind of think it wouldn't matter which varieties you use after. I've Tyrella in a field and kind of had problems before but went with the diluted seawater two years ago and no problems since.
    Just before grazing.?
    Is it just that they like the salt?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Markcheese wrote: »
    Just before grazing.?

ya they do have sodium in that goudings sweetgraze a while back, thought it was a good job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Going to oversow cereal crop with grass/clover mix. Will a spinner do it evenly? Set before with a wagtail which did it fine.

Water John wrote: »
    Going to oversow cereal crop with grass/clover mix. Will a spinner do it evenly? Set before with a wagtail which did it fine.

Evenly...ish. hard to be accurate with wind and such

I'd get the contractor to do it with the pneumatic drill in a raised position but silage season has already kicked in. Looking to do it in 2/3 weeks time. Thanks Reggie.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Just before grazing.?

There's 90 minerals (so they say) in seawater.

Give it a weeks growth after grazing. And then go. It'll darken up the grass like you went out with a heavy round of nitrogen and you'll probably see a bounce in growth. But the stock will skin it to the ground.
    Going by here it'll last a few years anyway.

I'm not sure I'd go everywhere being that it might be a dry year. But for old ground and stock rejecting grass then it'll do no harm. I haven't had a bad effect with it anyway. But it's a maybe once in a 5 year or more job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

There's 90 minerals (so they say) in seawater.

Give it a weeks growth after grazing. And then go. It'll darken up the grass like you went out with a heavy round of nitrogen and you'll probably see a bounce in growth. But the stock will skin it to the ground.
    Going by here it'll last a few years anyway.

I'm not sure I'd go everywhere being that it might be a dry year. But for old ground and stock rejecting grass then it'll do no harm. I haven't had a bad effect with it anyway. But it's a maybe once in a 5 year or more job.

theres only 88 elements in the normal peroidic table of the elements, 10 of them are gasses at sea temp so that bit I'm calling bull carp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ganmo wrote: »
    theres only 88 elements in the normal peroidic table of the elements, 10 of them are gasses at sea temp so that bit I'm calling bull carp

Elements are the basic building blocks of compounds and minerals are composed of many elements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Elements are the basic building blocks of compounds and minerals are composed of many elements

the words are often confounded, eg mineral deficiencies are elemental deficiencies

Well I hope you have a big dinner plate for that bull carp. :D

Take it up with these sort of crowds.

https://seaagri.com/

the words are often confounded, eg mineral deficiencies are elemental deficiencies

That they are. If you have a magnesium deficiency, like in grass tetany in spring and autumn, you won't be treating with straight magnesium but some compound like calcined mangesite(cal mag or MgO) in the feed. In acute cases, you'll be injecting with something like Magnesium sulphate into the vein, a different compound.

So an elemental deficiency is treated with minerals containing Magnesium with different absorption rates, if that makes sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Declare me bonkers.

I've Tyrella in a field and kind of had problems before but went with the diluted seawater two years ago and no problems since.

Have you actually collected sea water from the shore, diluted 4 litres in 80 litres of tap water and spread it on grass land with a boom sprayer.. Or am I asking a silly question.

This would be a brilliant way of sweetening after grass on silage ground, following slurry application, or any patches of grass land made "sour" with animal urine and cow dung. I presume you're not spreading SweetGrass as well

Have you actually collected sea water from the shore, diluted 4 litres in 80 litres of tap water and spread it on grass land with a boom sprayer.. Or am I asking a silly question.

This would be a brilliant way of sweetening after grass on silage ground, following slurry application, or any patches of grass land made "sour" with animal urine and cow dung. I presume you're not spreading SweetGrass as well

Not a silly question at all.
    I have done all that and even went to 10 litres/acre on the garden. And it's still growing. I used non treated well water for dilution.

No I'm not spreading SweetGrass this year or last.

There's a hell of a lot of information being shared on the natural gardening/vegetable groups on Facebook that most farmers here would gawp at or dismiss because they didn't learn that in ag college.

• Advertisement

Seawater Spray.

I am definitely giving it a go. Thanks for mentioning the "non treated well water", I only wish we had some, the old wells and pond were filled in years ago.

Seawater Spray.

I am definitely giving it a go. Thanks for mentioning the "non treated well water", I only wish we had some, the old wells and pond were filled in years ago.

Try a small bit first.
    Even though I have done it myself. I still don't want to get the blame on this anonymous forum. :pac:
    Look it up elsewhere on the net too but at 4litres per acre there should be no damage. If it works properly in a few days you should see the grass turn darker.
    But as I say and it says elsewhere it's really only a once in a 5 year or more thing.

What I'm currently trying to do here now that I've that behind me is get carbon levels in soil built up anyway I can. Dung, slurry, woodchip, biological ways, anyway I can.

Try a small bit first.
    Even though I have done it myself. I still don't want to get the blame on this anonymous forum.

No worries, it will be with a watering can, on uneaten dark green patches of grass

No worries, it will be with a watering can, on uneaten dark green patches of grass

That's the shot. And that's how I tried it out first.
    Well in the back garden anyway. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

How many acre bags of grass seed would you use when reseeding eg. just a bag to the acre or a little extra?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    How many acre bags of grass seed would you use when reseeding eg. just a bag to the acre or a little extra?

15kg

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Depending on the time of year and your own preference. Spring usually 13kg min and autumn about 15kg min to account for losses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Reseeded 9 acres on 7 May. It was dry going in and had no rain for the first two weeks or so but has had a fair drop since but it’s fierce slow coming.

It was disked twice and one good cut of power harrow, sowed and rolled. Soil samples taken beforehand and limed and fert accordingly.

The only parts up are the tractor Tyres from rolling and even they are very bare still. The field is still mainly brown.

Neighbor says it should still come and suggested a light rolling again as it’s a little loose on top.

Any suggestions?

Will come. Sat oats in April, it has been very slow.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Reseeded 9 acres on 7 May. It was dry going in and had no rain for the first two weeks or so but has had a fair drop since but it’s fierce slow coming.

It was disked twice and one good cut of power harrow, sowed and rolled. Soil samples taken beforehand and limed and fert accordingly.

The only parts up are the tractor Tyres from rolling and even they are very bare still. The field is still mainly brown.

Neighbor says it should still come and suggested a light rolling again as it’s a little loose on top.

Any suggestions?
    It will come no bother. Reason the tyre tracks are up first is because it is more compacted there. The fact it got no rain for the first 2 weeks means it didn't germinate till it got rain which means it's about 2 weeks behind.

I bet you'll go out one morning and there will be shoots about 2 inches tall everywhere that will appear overnight.

That's the usual story with reseeds. Theres no way it didn't take. Absolutely lovely grass growing weather the last while

DO NOT roll it again because if its germinated you could kill the seedlings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Dunedin wrote:

Have one the exact same with seed put in around the same time. Seed came up well at the headlands first after a very slow start after the dry weather, the rest of the field is coming along fine now. Put it down to the extra rolling when overlapping turning at the headlands. Give it time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Reggie. wrote: »
    It will come no bother. Reason the tyre tracks are up first is because it is more compacted there. The fact it got no rain for the first 2 weeks means it didn't germinate till it got rain which means it's about 2 weeks behind.

I bet you'll go out one morning and there will be shoots about 2 inches tall everywhere that will appear overnight.

That's the usual story with reseeds. Theres no way it didn't take. Absolutely lovely grass growing weather the last while

DO NOT roll it again because if its germinated you could kill the seedlings

Spot on Reggie. Dud one here around the same time. The headlands came up great and the rest of the field not so much, in the last 10 days more seed has germinated in the bare parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Anyone ever have bother with leather jackets?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Omallep2

Hi,
    I have a few acres that I plan to reseed in autumn. Advice needed: there are docks in the field. Should i spray with dockstar when they come back post topping or just leave and kill with roundup application pre disc/stiching?

visatorro wrote: »

Mainly just tillage lads that deal with them but are a surge once they get into a field. Could kill everything

• Advertisement

Omallep2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a few acres that I plan to reseed in autumn. Advice needed: there are docks in the field. Should i spray with dockstar when they come back post topping or just leave and kill with roundup application pre disc/stiching?

I'd just kill with roundup at the tail end of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Shallow pass with disc and firm rolling.

Would rolling at night do anything or is that just for slugs

Ha Waffle, like any good chef, slice and squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Did a bit of reseeding in April unfortunately the weather didn't play ball and have a lot of weeds up. Sprayed with Legumex a week ago and have been advised to cut it rather than graze, a guy maintains grass will come back better after cutting .What do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Talking to a lad recently who had to reseed again after leather jacket and crows. Never had any bother myself thank fook

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I done a bit of reseeding early May and put 4 bags of 10-10-20 to the acre out at the time. Would it be an idea to apply some Nitrogen in the next few weeks or is there any need? I dont plan on cutting it, will graze with a few sheep.

There was a lad on here a couple of months ago, asking about dealing with them, he was plagued with them, and whatever spray he had used is now gone, (think he might have been in Clare)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Talking to a lad recently who had to reseed again after leather jacket and crows. Never had any bother myself thank fook

Would have though if there were enough leather jackets to ruin the grass, that the crows would have been after them, (more eating in a leather jacket than grass seed)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I done a bit of reseeding early May and put 4 bags of 10-10-20 to the acre out at the time. Would it be an idea to apply some Nitrogen in the next few weeks or is there any need? I dont plan on cutting it, will graze with a few sheep.

Yeah I would. A bag of can or half s bag of urea in this weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Couldn’t say, I’d be working it more so to make some tilt so it rolls together tighter.

High bike wrote: »
    Did a bit of reseeding in April unfortunately the weather didn't play ball and have a lot of weeds up. Sprayed with Legumex a week ago and have been advised to cut it rather than graze, a guy maintains grass will come back better after cutting .What do ye think?
    Any thoughts anyone who’s into reseeding??

Cutting would be last resort.
    What's the withdrawal on the spray?
    I would graze and spray again a week later

Grab a bit of the germinated grass and pull. If the roots are solid enough in the ground so that the animals will cut the grass and not pull out the roots, I'd go in and graze it straight away.

Fertilise again and graze again around the 2 leaf stage and fertilise again.

You need to feed the new grass to make it grow and graze it to promote tillering.

Grab a bit of the germinated grass and pull. If the roots are solid enough in the ground so that the animals will cut the grass and not pull out the roots, I'd go in and graze it straight away.

Fertilise again and graze again around the 2 leaf stage and fertilise again.

You need to feed the new grass to make it grow and graze it to promote tillering.
    jit got 3 bags to the acre at sowing was just slow to take off because of lack of rain.Its growing well for the last month but theirs lots of weeds also,

• Advertisement

Cutting would be last resort.
    What's the withdrawal on the spray?
    I would graze and spray again a week later
    2 weeks withdrawal for spray

jit got 3 bags to the acre at sowing was just slow to take off because of lack of rain.Its growing well for the last month but theirs lots of weeds also,

What kinds of weeds? Annual weeds, I wouldn't worry about as they will be gone after grazing or cutting. If there's a lot of docks or thistles, I'd spray alright. If not, I'd spot treat them after grazing.

Tbh, I've never done a post emergence spray here, just graze and cut or spot treat any weeds.

What kinds of weeds? Annual weeds, I wouldn't worry about as they will be gone after grazing or cutting. If there's a lot of docks or thistles, I'd spray alright. If not, I'd spot treat them after grazing.

Tbh, I've never done a post emergence spray here, just graze and cut or spot treat any weeds.
    good few docks in it and others I’m not sure what they are

good few docks in it and others I’m not sure what they are

Spray so, I'd say. This is the best time to tackle docks and a bit of spot spraying afterwards will sort the remainder.

Spray so, I'd say. This is the best time to tackle docks and a bit of spot spraying afterwards will sort the remainder.
    have it sprayed a week ago am wondering should I graze or cut it??

• Advertisement
Advertisement