Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭older by the day

DJ98 wrote: »
    What do you mean by feed it to its potential?

That's a point, easy for advisers to talk about 14 tonne of grass yield per year, but that's in a well stocked well managed farm, the good grasses won't be long overtaken by weeds and less productive grasses if you don't keep on top of it, ie. Grazing tight, proper lime and fertilizer, and spraying weeds. I've seen neighbours spend loads on reclaiming and reseeding and then understocking. They should have just stayed inside and watched Scooby doo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Needs fertiliser after every grazing damn near.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

cute geoge wrote:
    I have a few fields to reseed old leys,this would be reasonable good land but after the last few wet years ,it tended to be heavy enough this spring and i just about able to graze it without poaching .I can imagine if i plough or power harrow, it will be impossible to graze if we get bad weather as it will be tender for a few years at least and i carry a high stocking rate.Would discing or grass harrow eg pallitine be the best option for me as i want to keep a tough skin ,i am also thinking of giving it a run of a sub soiler .The problem with the power harrow it leaves the top couple of inches very soft ,is this the same story with the discs

Would you mole plough it, to improve the drainage and then chance your reseeding by power harrow or tine harrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

raypallas wrote: »
    Would you mole plough it, to improve the drainage and then chance your reseeding by power harrow or tine harrow?

Can be done. We did it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭squinn2912

And if not ate out then topper even if toppers don’t do an ideal job. I’ve got a group of 51 gnawing through fields and regrowth is good. Other ground not ate to the stump by forward cattle and doing little compared

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    raypallas wrote: »

Can be done. We did it this year

Runs into big money. We’d 2 fields in similar condition 2 years ago. Mole drilled one and if anything it’s doing less this year. Wouldn’t go for it again

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Runs into big money. We’d 2 fields in similar condition 2 years ago. Mole drilled one and if anything it’s doing less this year. Wouldn’t go for it again

How ya mean doing less? Less growth?

It's a better alternative than cattle poaching the he'll outta the ground every year. That's why we did it in these spots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

squinn2912 wrote: »

Maybe drains need to go deeper in that field

No it worked well enough the field is dry and doing well just it came at a big comparative cost

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

+1 You'd really want to be planning on building up your demand (in terms of stock/silage) and your indexes before your go reseeding. Waste of money unless your going to constantly push the grass with fertiliser and more importantly make use of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Sami23 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it depends what weeds are present would it not.
    I am going with Underclear as I have Chickweed and Redshank.
    What weeds are in yours ?

I have chick weed too and got 20 litres of underclear this evening. But noticed then it’s 14 days til you can graze.

Desperately tight on grass so another two weeks will hurt me. Any shorter alternatives out there,

Dunedin wrote: »
    I have chick weed too and got 20 litres of underclear this evening. But noticed then it’s 14 days til you can graze.

Desperately tight on grass so another two weeks will hurt me. Any shorter alternatives out there,

Tight grazing should sort out the chickweed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

cute geoge wrote: »
    I have a few fields to reseed old leys,this would be reasonable good land but after the last few wet years ,it tended to be heavy enough this spring and i just about able to graze it without poaching .I can imagine if i plough or power harrow, it will be impossible to graze if we get bad weather as it will be tender for a few years at least and i carry a high stocking rate.Would discing or grass harrow eg pallitine be the best option for me as i want to keep a tough skin ,i am also thinking of giving it a run of a sub soiler .The problem with the power harrow it leaves the top couple of inches very soft ,is this the same story with the discs

Tbh assuming drainage is ok I find the plough is the only job for ground like that. I went with a heavy disc and set with a one pass and it was the worst thing I could have done should have ploughed it. Ground we ploughed is streets ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Is it safe to do 6 week post emergence spray with the heatwave that’s promised?

As in spray in the next day or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Collecting a 3mtr one of these tomorrow for my small holding...mad or what
    New toy

https://www.donedeal.ie/harrows-for-sale/palatine-grass-harrows/18301239

• Registered Users Posts: 11,383 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

wrangler wrote: »
    New toy

I'd go with mad.
    Definitely mad!

Happy harrowing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

New toy

Well wear! Straight harrow or are u going for electric seeder aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Muckit wrote: »
    Well wear! Straight harrow or are u going for electric seeder aswell?

just the harrow. hopefully the quad spreader can be set low enough to sow grass seed,

New toy

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭White Clover

Wrangler, Will you be going into competition with reggie?!

• Advertisement

Wrangler, Will you be going into competition with reggie?!

Now now you......behave yourself

Reseed coming on well considering

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

Reseed 4 weeks ago. Some heavy rain straight after seeding but been bone dry since. Should i be worried this heat and lack of rain has damaged it?

Reseed 4 weeks ago. Some heavy rain straight after seeding but been bone dry since. Should i be worried this heat and lack of rain has damaged it?

Them pics above are the same only sown 2 or 3 weeks ago. Has the grass germinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

Reggie. wrote: »

Them pics above are the same only sown 2 or 3 weeks ago. Has the grass germinated?
    Nothing at all

Nothing at all

That might be good. It's more in danger after germinating. If no sign after the next bit of rain then you might be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Done my first bit of over seeding today, I wonder will it work. Took bales off it yesterday two runs of the tine harrow. Mixed seed with 10.10.20Spread the seed with wag tail. Another run of tine harrow rolled it. I just wonder will it work

If you're not in my of the Gobi desert the seed will germinate anyway.
    Whatever the consistency of spread will be when you mixed it with the fert is a different story.
    I think some posters here may have done what you have done though.

You haven't got as big of risk when you're overseeding as compared to a total reseed anyway.
    Remmeber you were saying my seed would take if I wasn’t in the Gobi desert. I am away on holidays the last two weeks but I believe my reseeding job looks s bit like the gobi desert

Done my first bit of over seeding today, I wonder will it work. Took bales off it yesterday two runs of the tine harrow. Mixed seed with 10.10.20Spread the seed with wag tail. Another run of tine harrow rolled it. I just wonder will it work

If you're not in my of the Gobi desert the seed will germinate anyway.
    Whatever the consistency of spread will be when you mixed it with the fert is a different story.
    I think some posters here may have done what you have done though.

You haven't got as big of risk when you're overseeding as compared to a total reseed anyway.
    Remmeber you were saying my seed would take if I wasn’t in the Gobi desert. I am away on holidays the last two weeks but I believe my reseeding job looks s bit like the gobi desert

• Registered Users Posts: 11,383 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Feck it anyways.

You're in the northern half of the country I think?
    Just shows the damage this weather is causing.

If it's any consolation you've just sat down beside me in this piece of crap of a boat. :(

• Advertisement

Feck it anyways.

You're in the northern half of the country I think?
    Just shows the damage this weather is causing.

If it's any consolation you've just sat down beside me in this piece of crap of a boat. :(

I sitting by the pool in Croatia not too bad at all

Advertisement