Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

morphy87 wrote: »
    You would probably know as you do a lot of that work, you have probably sown after good plough men and bad men,if it was rushed would it make much of a difference? That’s the one thing that would worry them, a contractor sending on a lad and just rushing in and out

Depends on the land too. Some ploughed land, you could sow straight after it and others you could be tilling for a week getting it sort of level again. No 2 jobs are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

So what is it, you plough first then roll and then give it two runs with the land leveler and then power harrow and then sow and roll again?

Also would it make much of a difference to the job on who is driving the plough and tractor?

Leaving aside quality of the man/woman on the plough, that is the sequence. Only other thing to consider is when to shake the fert/lime. Personally, I shake just before I sow and roll all after and out the gate then.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Leaving aside quality of the man/woman on the plough, that is the sequence. Only other thing to consider is when to shake the fert/lime. Personally, I shake just before I sow and roll all after and out the gate then.

Yeah I'd agree with ya there. I do the same as the fert and lime is mixed into the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Hi All

Im not a farmer but I have a question about overseeding my Garden,

Would around this time be the best time to overseed my lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Level before you lime otherwise you could have lime missing is spots and overloaded elsewhere

Robson99 wrote: »
    Level before you lime otherwise you could have lime missing is spots and overloaded elsewhere

Agree but some folk shake and then power Harrow in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hi All

Im not a farmer but I have a question about overseeding my Garden,

Would around this time be the best time to overseed my lawn?

It would be fine. If you are just improving the lawn you might need to scratch up a bit of earth with a rake, scatter seed, rake again to cover and then roll. If a small area instead of rolling just tamp it down firm with the back of a shovel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭morphy87

Robson99 wrote: »

So spread lime and fertilizer just before you sow?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Depends on the land too. Some ploughed land, you could sow straight after it and others you could be tilling for a week getting it sort of level again. No 2 jobs are the same

Would most people power harrow it though? I presume it’s done in the process as I listed in my first post?

Would most people power harrow it though? I presume it’s done in the process as I listed in my first post?

Yeah cos most contractors have the seed box on powerharrows so we sow like a one pass

• Advertisement

Yeah cos most contractors have the seed box on powerharrows so we sow like a one pass

The last bit I done, we disced it then gave it two runs of the power harrow and then we sowed, he had the grass seed box on the harrow

The last bit I done, we disced it then gave it two runs of the power harrow and then we sowed, he had the grass seed box on the harrow

Most lads here would disc then powerharrow and sow with the powerharrow

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Dunedin wrote: »

We always got the lime put out before its powerharrowed

Most lads here would disc then powerharrow and sow with the powerharrow

When you are sowing grass seed at what rate do you sow? How many kgs an acre? One man told me he always goes 1.2 bags to the acre,20kgs bags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭DJ98

Is it gone too late to sow typhon?

When you are sowing grass seed at what rate do you sow? How many kgs an acre? One man told me he always goes 1.2 bags to the acre,20kgs bags

That's abit heavy but each to thier own. Roughly 15kg an acre is the norm

DJ98 wrote: »

I'd say so. Abit to close to frost appearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

DJ98 wrote: »

Sowed it 1st Sept 2 years ago, and it did ok. But we had a very kind autumn, and I think we’d be farther south than you...

I found the sheep didn’t like it, was hard enough to get them to eat it at the start...

We always got the lime put out before its powerharrowed

Sorry should have said that was when using granlime. If using quarry lime, get it out as early as you can before tilling as it’ll help break down the trash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sowed it 1st Sept 2 years ago, and it did ok. But we had a very kind autumn, and I think we’d be farther south than you...

I found the sheep didn’t like it, was hard enough to get them to eat it at the start...

Yea, my neighbour says they lose weight in the first week but they put on 3 -4 kg/week then and kill out great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

That's abit heavy but each to thier own. Roughly 15kg an acre is the norm

I never go more than 13.5kg- if index’s are correct there’s no need- I find with ploughing that you get a serious germination compared to the likes of a gutler- with ploughing and correct management the sward will last 50 years - I’ve seen gutler jobs being needed to be re done after 4 as the rye grass has died and been replaced by wild meadow grass
    If not ploughing I’d direct drill- clover seems to establish far better when it’s direct drilled
    These are only my experiences with my land type so mightn’t be the same for everyone

stanflt wrote: »
    I never go more than 13.5kg- if index’s are correct there’s no need- I find with ploughing that you get a serious germination compared to the likes of a gutler- with ploughing and correct management the sward will last 50 years - I’ve seen gutler jobs being needed to be re done after 4 as the rye grass has died and been replaced by wild meadow grass
    If not ploughing I’d direct drill- clover seems to establish far better when it’s direct drilled
    These are only my experiences with my land type so mightn’t be the same for everyone

This can be true but if the rye-grass dies out its usually due to bad grassland management. That will happen with any method of reseeding really

I never go more than 13.5kg- if index’s are correct there’s no need- I find with ploughing that you get a serious germination compared to the likes of a gutler- with ploughing and correct management the sward will last 5a0 years - I’ve seen gutler jobs being needed to be re done after 4 as the rye grass has died and been replaced by wild meadow grass

So if indexes were low you would sow a bit heavier? Would you have many stones with the ploughing? Was hoping to do some reseeding in the spring and was thinking of ploughing

So if indexes were low you would sow a bit heavier? Would you have many stones with the ploughing? Was hoping to do some reseeding in the spring and was thinking of ploughing

If course you’ll have stones if it’s a stoney field but I wouldn’t let a few stone get in the way of progress

If course you’ll have stones if it’s a stoney field but I wouldn’t let a few stone get in the way of progress

So when you plough, what do you do till your ready to sow? Do you roll,harrow etc

• Advertisement

So when you plough, what do you do till your ready to sow? Do you roll,harrow etc

Plough 2 till with second run sowing- flat roll and jobs done

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

The last few fields I've done here:
    - Spray
    - +2 weeks - Dung (FYM with side spreader)
    - +1 week Disc x2 if not x3 runs
    - Lime (either granlime or quarry limestone)
    - Powerharrow and sow grass seed in one pass (air seeder on PH)
    - Fertilizer
    - Roll

I'm in lightish soil and high going. Fields are smooth enough so don't need much in the line of levelling. I find I have very little in the line of stones to pick as the disc does a better job of leaving them in the ground than the plough would.

If field is very rough I'd plough and probably only give one run with the disc and then land leveller before sowing with the PH.

I find that by going handy enough (~3kph) with the power harrow when sowing, you'll do a nice tidy job after just discing

Plough 2 till with second run sowing- flat roll and jobs done

I know one man done a lot of reseeding this year with a plough and after ploughing it he rolled it straight away and then rolled it again after sowing, and I know another always gives it two runs of a land leveler after ploughing, would there be any need to do this after ploughing if a contractor was coming in after the plough with a big power harrow and then with a harrow in the grass seed box?

I know one man done a lot of reseeding this year with a plough and after ploughing it he rolled it straight away and then rolled it again after sowing, and I know another always gives it two runs of a land leveler after ploughing, would there be any need to do this after ploughing if a contractor was coming in after the plough with a big power harrow and then with a harrow in the grass seed box?

Absolute waste of time- my man has a 6 metre outfit and it’s brilliant for levelling the field- biggest damage is done when spreading fert afterwards as it can leave headlands rough

Absolute waste of time- my man has a 6 metre outfit and it’s brilliant for levelling the field- biggest damage is done when spreading fert afterwards as it can leave headlands rough

Was thinking that, my man that does my reseeding also has a 6 meter power harrow, usually we disc and then harrow,then sow but he now has a roller behind the sower and a harrow in front of the grass seed box, if you had a 6 meter harrow going in after the plough would it make much of a difference if the man wasn’t great on the plough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Whats the idea of rolling after the plough?

I don’t know but I know some people that do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You break down the bigger clumps into smaller ones and are supposed to get a more level seedbed when harrowing or levelling afterwards.

I doubt it's really needed now with powerharrows.

You break down the bigger clumps into smaller ones and are supposed to get a more level seedbed when harrowing or levelling afterwards.

I doubt it's really needed now with powerharrows.

It does help in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It does help in fairness

We used do it when we were using just the spring tine harrows but we would just leave it to the powerharrow now.

Would there be heights and hollows across the field without rolling? Or would you need 2 runs to get it right?

We used do it when we were using just the spring tine harrows but we would just leave it to the powerharrow now.

Would there be heights and hollows across the field without rolling? Or would you need 2 runs to get it right?

You see you have to be careful because a field can look fine and level after seeding but in 2 years time ya might not be able to drive across it it's that uneven when it settles.

That's why you can never till land enough before the final powerharrow and seeding. Let that be a disc or landlevellor or both.

You see you have to be careful because a field can look fine and level after seeding but in 2 years time ya might not be able to drive across it it's that uneven when it settles.

That's why you can never till land enough before the final powerharrow and seeding. Let that be a disc or landlevellor or both.

So after the plough would you recommend roll or a land leveler?

So after the plough would you recommend roll or a land leveler?

Whichever you wish. If you have the tools why not use then. Time spent tilling is never wasted. Once its sowed that's it. Get the field to the point that your happy with then sow.

Most lads will go a certain way cos they dont want to pay for runs of a landlevellor or disc.

The work you put in at the start dictates the finish. There is no one perfect way to do it as every field is unique with contours and soil type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Whichever you wish. If you have the tools why not use then. Time spent tilling is never wasted. Once its sowed that's it. Get the field to the point that your happy with then sow.

Most lads will go a certain way cos they dont want to pay for runs of a landlevellor or disc.

The work you put in at the start dictates the finish. There is no one perfect way to do it as every field is unique with contours and soil type.

Have a field that would throw u about driving across.disc and one pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Did anyone every try go alfalfa or lucerne in Ireland or is the climate too cold?

• Advertisement

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Did anyone every try go alfalfa or lucerne in Ireland or is the climate too cold?

Talk to dawg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Yes and yes.
    You'd struggle to grow it in most of England not to mind here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yes and yes.
    You'd struggle to grow it in most of England not to mind here.

I was in Gurteen in 1969 and lucerne was grown there at that time, cut with a ford 5000 and double chop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's grown or it was these past few years near Ferns.
    Don't know anymore about it after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Hoping to reseed 20 AC next week. Am I mad? Should I wait to plough in spring? I'd like to get it sprayed and grazed before mid November.

Hoping to reseed 20 AC next week. Am I mad? Should I wait to plough in spring? I'd like to get it sprayed and grazed before mid November.

Can be done, I'm still reseeding atm. No sign of anyone stopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Not at all, once your not banking on big clover establishment. I've seen grass sown successfully in October many times. Not so sure about the spraying and grazing though but you'd get over that.

Not at all, once your not banking on big clover establishment. I've seen grass sown successfully in October many times. Not so sure about the spraying and grazing though but you'd get over that.

Spraying can be done in the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Farm365

What are the do’s and don’t of stitching? Is it more suitable for any particular land type? What’s the difference in cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Mixedbag

I've a 3 acre field sown at the end of April. Got 1 cut so far and due a cut again now. I didn't know if the lucerne would grow so I put a half rate of grass seed mix in with it. So far so good with growth and a great nitrogen fixer. We'll see in another month or so what the feed value is like.

Advertisement