Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

1111213141517»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Have some neglected land that I'm planning on reseeding in the next few years. ph is currently 5.7 so it'll need 2 splits of lime to get the ph to 6.3. Should I get the land to 6.3 before I think about reseeding it, or should I put the second split of lime out during the reseeding? It's getting 2ton/ ac this week.

Is it a mineral soil or a peaty type soil?

Mineral soils can be brought up to 6.3, assuming there's no molybdenum problems in the area. Around 6 to 6.1 if there is.

Peaty soils should only be taken up to 5.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Is it a mineral soil or a peaty type soil?

Mineral soils can be brought up to 6.3, assuming there's no molybdenum problems in the area. Around 6 to 6.1 if there is.

Peaty soils should only be taken up to 5.9.

Most of it would be a good sandy soil apart from an acre down the end which would be peaty type soil. I was just thinking I'd be better off get to the correct ph before reseeding to ensure that the growth of the new sward wouldnt be stunted in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Most of it would be a good sandy soil apart from an acre down the end which would be peaty type soil. I was just thinking I'd be better off get to the correct ph before reseeding to ensure that the growth of the new sward wouldnt be stunted in any way.

You'll probably need two different grass mixtures in the two different soil types, I learned that the hard way.

You should be OK with everything as regards lime but the peaty acre should be kept lower than the rest of the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭joe35

Have a bit of rough mountain ground here. An old bank that was covered in bushes. With a lot of elbow grease got rid of all the bushes. Spread a good bit of time on this ground. Can't drive a tractor on it so any spreading, seed, lime, feet, has to be spread with hand.

Anyway, lots of bushes coming on the hill again and wondering what is best to keep them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

joe35 wrote: »
    Have a bit of rough mountain ground here. An old bank that was covered in bushes. With a lot of elbow grease got rid of all the bushes. Spread a good bit of time on this ground. Can't drive a tractor on it so any spreading, seed, lime, feet, has to be spread with hand.

Anyway, lots of bushes coming on the hill again and wondering what is best to keep them down.

I used Brushwood Killer years ago, It worked well, killed blackthorn and furze. Don't know if it's still on the market,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭joe35

Just googled it now. Still available, thanks wrangler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Just wondering does anyone know if you can stitch kale in without power harrowing or would it be a waste of time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Whats the procedure u use Reggie?

• Advertisement

Sprayed last Sunday. Mow next Sunday or Monday. Bale day after and then stitch in with guttler ASAP after.

Do you still go with 3 bags to the acre after sowing Reggie,does it need to be rolled?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Are you able to get P&K down the spout when you are sowing? It's a crop that loves potash. there is a photo somewhere that shows 6ft high kale on a patch where some was spilled filling the spreader.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Its red start version I'm sowing

No harm to give it a roll to be safe. Yeah give it plenty of fert. Getting a little late in the year to be holding back on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement