Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Sami23 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it depends what weeds are present would it not.
    I am going with Underclear as I have Chickweed and Redshank.
    What weeds are in yours ?

I have chick weed too and got 20 litres of underclear this evening. But noticed then it’s 14 days til you can graze.

Desperately tight on grass so another two weeks will hurt me. Any shorter alternatives out there,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Dunedin wrote: »
    I have chick weed too and got 20 litres of underclear this evening. But noticed then it’s 14 days til you can graze.

Desperately tight on grass so another two weeks will hurt me. Any shorter alternatives out there,

Tight grazing should sort out the chickweed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

cute geoge wrote: »
    I have a few fields to reseed old leys,this would be reasonable good land but after the last few wet years ,it tended to be heavy enough this spring and i just about able to graze it without poaching .I can imagine if i plough or power harrow, it will be impossible to graze if we get bad weather as it will be tender for a few years at least and i carry a high stocking rate.Would discing or grass harrow eg pallitine be the best option for me as i want to keep a tough skin ,i am also thinking of giving it a run of a sub soiler .The problem with the power harrow it leaves the top couple of inches very soft ,is this the same story with the discs

Tbh assuming drainage is ok I find the plough is the only job for ground like that. I went with a heavy disc and set with a one pass and it was the worst thing I could have done should have ploughed it. Ground we ploughed is streets ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Is it safe to do 6 week post emergence spray with the heatwave that’s promised?

As in spray in the next day or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Collecting a 3mtr one of these tomorrow for my small holding...mad or what
    New toy

https://www.donedeal.ie/harrows-for-sale/palatine-grass-harrows/18301239

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

wrangler wrote: »
    New toy

I'd go with mad.
    Definitely mad!

Happy harrowing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

New toy

Well wear! Straight harrow or are u going for electric seeder aswell?

Muckit wrote: »
    Well wear! Straight harrow or are u going for electric seeder aswell?

just the harrow. hopefully the quad spreader can be set low enough to sow grass seed,

New toy

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Wrangler, Will you be going into competition with reggie?!

• Advertisement

Wrangler, Will you be going into competition with reggie?!

Now now you......behave yourself

Reseed coming on well considering

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

Reseed 4 weeks ago. Some heavy rain straight after seeding but been bone dry since. Should i be worried this heat and lack of rain has damaged it?

Reseed 4 weeks ago. Some heavy rain straight after seeding but been bone dry since. Should i be worried this heat and lack of rain has damaged it?

Them pics above are the same only sown 2 or 3 weeks ago. Has the grass germinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

Reggie. wrote: »

Them pics above are the same only sown 2 or 3 weeks ago. Has the grass germinated?
    Nothing at all

Nothing at all

That might be good. It's more in danger after germinating. If no sign after the next bit of rain then you might be in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Done my first bit of over seeding today, I wonder will it work. Took bales off it yesterday two runs of the tine harrow. Mixed seed with 10.10.20Spread the seed with wag tail. Another run of tine harrow rolled it. I just wonder will it work

If you're not in my of the Gobi desert the seed will germinate anyway.
    Whatever the consistency of spread will be when you mixed it with the fert is a different story.
    I think some posters here may have done what you have done though.

You haven't got as big of risk when you're overseeding as compared to a total reseed anyway.
    Remmeber you were saying my seed would take if I wasn’t in the Gobi desert. I am away on holidays the last two weeks but I believe my reseeding job looks s bit like the gobi desert

Done my first bit of over seeding today, I wonder will it work. Took bales off it yesterday two runs of the tine harrow. Mixed seed with 10.10.20Spread the seed with wag tail. Another run of tine harrow rolled it. I just wonder will it work

If you're not in my of the Gobi desert the seed will germinate anyway.
    Whatever the consistency of spread will be when you mixed it with the fert is a different story.
    I think some posters here may have done what you have done though.

You haven't got as big of risk when you're overseeding as compared to a total reseed anyway.
    Remmeber you were saying my seed would take if I wasn’t in the Gobi desert. I am away on holidays the last two weeks but I believe my reseeding job looks s bit like the gobi desert

Feck it anyways.

You're in the northern half of the country I think?
    Just shows the damage this weather is causing.

If it's any consolation you've just sat down beside me in this piece of crap of a boat. :(

• Advertisement

Feck it anyways.

You're in the northern half of the country I think?
    Just shows the damage this weather is causing.

If it's any consolation you've just sat down beside me in this piece of crap of a boat. :(

I sitting by the pool in Croatia not too bad at all

I'm sweating tying a rope to a cows leg and milking cows.

I'm sweating tying a rope to a cows leg and milking cows.
    Mighty I love. That did give a good laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭joe35

Hi ive 7 acres taking till the end of the year (nov). Its full of tough grass thats no good for grazing. Cant post pics not sure how to on the phone. I might get long term from nov and i'm wondering what would be my options for reseeding. Its good free draining land and clean apart from this grass/weed thats in it.

Got the pics up. TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I'd spray off and plough tbh. Best way of getting rid of that old bent grass is to turn up a new sod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

joe35 wrote: »
    Hi ive 7 acres taking till the end of the year (nov). Its full of tough grass thats no good for grazing. Cant post pics not sure how to on the phone. I might get long term from nov and i'm wondering what would be my options for reseeding. Its good free draining land and clean apart from this grass/weed thats in it.

Unless u can get medium /long term don’t even think of going the cost of reseed .short term find out what weed it is spray and fertlise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Is there any grass in it at all. Just looks like a field of plantain going of the photos

Very little grass. Only 2 horses grazing it all year. A few bare patches that have plenty of clover in them but the horses licked them clean. It got nothing this past 6 or 7 years so needs lime and that. It would be well worth reseeding if i could get it for 5/10 years

Very little grass. Only 2 horses grazing it all year. A few bare patches that have plenty of clover in them but the horses licked them clean. It got nothing this past 6 or 7 years so needs lime and that. It would be well worth reseeding if i could get it for 5/10 years

One option is to graze as tight as ya can, spray off then. If still too much grass then top it then powerharrow once or twice. Sow and roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Get it First, don't consider reseeding till lease secured

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Get it First, don't consider reseeding till lease secured

This is true :D

Deffo. Its a lovely bit of ground, and the fact it hasn't been touched in a good while should make it respond well to any TLC it gets. Thanks for all the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

On a similar Note there is a field near me idle with two years. Belongs to a private house which was sold and nothing done with field. Problem with field now is that there is a lot of ragworth after flowering in it. Any spray which would clean this up? Without picking the stuff as I or the owner won't be doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

mengele wrote: »
    On a similar Note there is a field near me idle with two years. Belongs to a private house which was sold and nothing done with field. Problem with field now is that there is a lot of ragworth after flowering in it. Any spray which would clean this up? Without picking the stuff as I or the owner won't be doing that.

Coupd you report to the dept. Is there a tging about noxious weeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What would be the best course of action to get rid of red shank? Currently grazing reseeding and it’s done great but a lot of the rs in it. My idea is to graze, top, spray. I’d like to save the clover if I could. Specifically got a mix made to include clover. Any spray advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What’s the best course of action for red shank? Reseeding did great so grazing it now and it’s getting ahead if anything! I’m thinking graze, top, spray. Any spray that won’t kill the clover? Thanks

squinn2912 wrote: »
    What would be the best course of action to get rid of red shank? Currently grazing reseeding and it’s done great but a lot of the rs in it. My idea is to graze, top, spray. I’d like to save the clover if I could. Specifically got a mix made to include clover. Any spray advice?

I'd try grazing and topping first, redshank is a soft enough weed, doesn't usually stand up to topping and grazing.
    I used to do a lot of tillage here and redshank and chickweed would always come when I'd reseed but I'd never spray......but I'd always have sheep to go on it.
    I'm not an expert btw

I'd try grazing and topping first, redshank is a soft enough weed, doesn't usually stand up to topping and grazing.
    I used to do a lot of tillage here and redshank and chickweed would always come when I'd reseed but I'd never spray......but I'd always have sheep to go on it.
    I'm not an expert btw

Sounds about right

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Bit similar question to squinn.
    I’m currently grazing reseeds with calves. It has a serious amount of fat hen. I was planning on grazing, topping and then spraying as there are docks etc.
    Just a little worried now as fat hen is waist high in places. Would it smother the Grass when topped or what do people think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Coupd you report to the dept. Is there a tging about noxious weeds?

Don't think anyone has ever been prosecuted. Sure County councils are the worst offenders

• Advertisement

C4d78 wrote: »
    Bit similar question to squinn.
    I’m currently grazing reseeds with calves. It has a serious amount of fat hen. I was planning on grazing, topping and then spraying as there are docks etc.
    Just a little worried now as fat hen is waist high in places. Would it smother the Grass when topped or what do people think?
    Top and graze is the best plan there

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Top and graze is the best plan there

Will calves eat it after topping?

C4d78 wrote: »
    Will calves eat it after topping?

If they don't they will at least pull at it so they will spread it out I'd reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Don't think anyone has ever been prosecuted. Sure County councils are the worst offenders

The way it goes is an inspector either calls out or just makes contact with the owner, then written notice. If no action taken the Dept can get a contractor to clear it and go after the owner for the costs + fine.
    The fine is pityful but a dept contractors bill would be saucy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Sprayed Reseeds today. Paster trio. Serious amount of docks and thistles in it that weren't there before!
    Has taking a while to come right but I'm happy with 90% of it now. Graze the balls of it next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is it too late to spray for kale/rape

kevthegaff wrote: »

Spray now and sow in 2 weeks. 3 is better but needs must. You can sow rape up to the 21st but too late for kale I think

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

kevthegaff wrote: »

Would be late for kale, you can sow rape later

Bit of fodder rape going in today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Bit of fodder rape going in today

How was the ground tilled?

Advertisement