Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Cycle April 21/22

Options
  • 15-04-2018 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hope to be in Carlow next w/e visiting my wife's family...intending to bring my bike and go for a 60-100k cycle on Saturday or Sunday morning...any nice route suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

As easy or difficult as you would like?
    If you wish to test yourselves, try Mount Leinster via Borris or Bunclody. Avoid Myshall-Nine stones unless you are real masochists.
    Most potential routes will include quite a bit of climbing. Carlow Castlecomer (coffee in Discovery Park, home by Kilkenny 90km.
    Whatever route you choose check wind direction first!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhetoricman

Thanks for getting back to me so soon...I like the sound of it, coming from the Kerry hills and have a project in the Alpe in July!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Thanks for getting back to me so soon...I like the sound of it, coming from the Kerry hills and have a project in the Alpe in July!

If you're in training for the climbfest I think, then you could do Mount Leinster three ways, but it would be a challenge possibly longer than 100k.
    The climb from Bunclody (down at river level) is one of the longer climbs in Ireland in term as of altitude gained (or so I have been told). The Myshal route has the brutal Corrabut gap section. Could also do it from Borris/Ballymurphy
    side. If you check out http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/mount-leinster-challenge-2017/
    you may get some ideas.
    (Don't be tempted to try the climb to the mast - private road to RTE transmitter - it will just sicken you of climbing for good).
    Having said that, as Exiled1 suggests, there are plenty of hills slightly closer at hand by heading west Bilboa/Coolcullen direction towards Castlecomer where I can confirm the Jarrow Cafe in the Castlecomer Discovery Park is a grand coffee / lunch stop. You might get some idea from the route of the Des Hanlon memorial race. Plenty of climbing there just pootling around that area on fairly quiet roads. There used to be a 'Humpy Hundred' thereabouts - never did it myself but a search might throw up something.
    Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement