Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which zoom lens?

Options
  • 15-04-2018 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I'm currently trying to decide what zoom lens to buy for my Canon 80D.

I've narrowed it down to 3 and I'm gonna buy from E infinity whom I've had good experiences with already. The 3 are:

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM - €129

Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS II USM - €329

Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 DI VC USD - €269

I'm not going to let cost be a factor because I hope to keep the one buy for a long time. What I'm looking for most of all is very good image quality.

All 3 lenses get very good reviews, especially the 55-250. Most suggest that the Tamron isn't great at 300mm. It's probably down to the 2 Canons for me but I'm open to having my mind changed or to be influenced by your experiences and opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I'm currently trying to decide what zoom lens to buy for my Canon 80D.

I've narrowed it down to 3 and I'm gonna buy from E infinity whom I've had good experiences with already. The 3 are:

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM - €129

Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS II USM - €329

Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 DI VC USD - €269

I'm not going to let cost be a factor because I hope to keep the one buy for a long time. What I'm looking for most of all is very good image quality.

All 3 lenses get very good reviews, especially the 55-250. Most suggest that the Tamron isn't great at 300mm. It's probably down to the 2 Canons for me but I'm open to having my mind changed or to be influenced by your experiences and opinions.

Thanks in advance.

I only have experience with the 55-250 on a 700D but I thought it was very good and for the price even better. I'm also looking at getting a new zoom but for a Sony A6500 to adapt. I've read a lot of great things about the new Canon 70-300 IS II. Seems to have one of the fastest autofocus motors of any lens regardless of price so if you are shooting fast moving stuff it could be a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Hi Chavways. Yes, the Canon 70-300 IS II USM auto focus is lightning fast.

It seems from the reviews that I've read and watched though, that the image quality isn't very different to the 55-250.

Could anyone here comment on image quality of the Canon IS II USM or the Tamron DI VC USD from 200-300?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Have a look for a used 70-200 F4 L

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Zascar wrote: »
    Have a look for a used 70-200 F4 L

Thanks, Zascar.

The reviews of that lens are great but I'm looking for a bit more reach that 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have the 55-250 and it is an excellent lens. Good image quality and nice and light. Also very compact. Cant fault mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

What would your main use for the lens ?
    I am looking for a 100-400 for airport photography, but unfortunately slightly out of my budget.
    Ill be interested to see the reply's to your query

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

What would your main use for the lens ?
    I am looking for a 100-400 for airport photography, but unfortunately slightly out of my budget.
    Ill be interested to see the reply's to your query

I recently got a Sigma 100-400 and find it very good. Its on eGlobal for €608 it is around €900 in Ireland. It has some good reviews. My budget couldnt stretch for the Canon version but I am happy with this lens.

There are some groups on Flickr where lads take sots of planes. https://www.flickr.com/groups/3329881@N25/

Advertisement