Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Belfast

Options
  • 15-04-2018 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hi i,v never been to northern Ireland and i,m heading up to the odyssey arena on Saturday night with my son to watch a boxing match and we're staying in a city center hotel, i'm just wondering what the atmosphere is like for southerners these days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Have never had an issue in the City Centre or the busier areas! Don't go to any of the rough areas and you'll be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

cbr9911 wrote: »
    hi i,v never been to northern Ireland and i,m heading up to the odyssey arena on Saturday night with my son to watch a boxing match and we're staying in a city center hotel, i'm just wondering what the atmosphere is like for southerners these days.

It’s fine during the day. I’ve always found it to have an edge after dark, even in the City Centre. Obviously keep out of loyalist areas and avoid discussing politics. Boxing has a big fan base on both sides of the divide so it’s possible that you’ll end up seated beside Billy and Alastair from Sandy Row

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

You’ll hear plenty of southern accents around the streets of Belfast. I wouldn’t worry at all. Just don’t go into any loyalist areas (although I’m not sure why you would anyway) - they’re clearly marked out with the union flags and painted street kerbs! And don’t talk politics, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Some slight over egging of the pudding going on in here...

Nobody will bat an eyelid about southerners being pretty much anywhere during the day. Perhaps except the roughest estates and loyalist bars/clubs (in which case it's as much about outsiders and anything else).

Be a bit more wary at night and I'd steer clear of the East and West unless you knew where you were going. Which is grand as most of the nightlife happens around the city centre and south (Stranmillis, Lisburn Rd and Ormeau Rd) anyway.

As for discussing politics, not sure why you'd want to at a boxing match anyway ;) That said everyone loves a good gurn about our useless politicians!

Generally speaking as a southerner you'll be welcomed in most places. Just dont do anything daft and be aware that not everyone in earshot may agree with your opinions or want to hear them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

You will have absolutely no bother and anyone telling you different is fragrantly exaggerating. Enjoy the boxing, that's a great wee card and there will be plenty of support for the locals, and this will be from all walks of life.

If you're not driving it might be a bit tricky getting a taxi from the Odyssey after, provided you are fit the walk into town isn't too bad and would take about 15 or 20 minutes. There will be your typical drunk crowds that you get after any event of this type in Ireland, but I wouldn't be one bit worried about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cbr9911

thanks for all the reply's, looking forward to Belfast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Pretend you are mute

Advertisement