Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Vs the world

Options
  • 15-04-2018 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

I travel. Why is property in Ireland really really cheap.

Crappy towns in China, Thailand, Malaysia India all shifting tiny apartments in next decades social slums for over €200k. If you want a normal house in an international city in these places you had better have a mill. Canada, new Zealand, Australia, multi million city houses are the norm.

Where else do you know of that has cheap houses like Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

What a load of tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Hey, it's all relative. There are MD's in Financial Services in New York who struggle on 2-4mil a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

myshirt wrote: »
    Hey, it's all relative. There are MD's in Financial Services in New York who struggle on 2-4mil a year.

+1

The Silicon Valley wages arms race is hilarious, sounds like complete madness to pay a software developer $150k a year , but suddenly the $4000 rent for a 1 bed apartment, $300 for your weekly shopping for 1 and $8 coffee's leave you living the same standard of life and the same level of brokeness as a 35k job in Ireland living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

househero wrote: »
    Crappy towns in China, Thailand, Malaysia India all shifting tiny apartments in next decades social slums for over €200k.

Probably a troll post but I’ll reply anyway on the specific point I know about:

Define crappy town?

I have knowledge of the property market in a Chinese provincial capital with a population of 7 millions where you can get a two beds not too far from the downtown area for 50-100k (in the north east, not the area doing the best economically but definitely not a “crappy town” or a “slum”)

Of course there are Chinese cities where it is way more than that (Beijing or Shanghai are mandness). But unless you call crappy anything but the top 20ish cities your statement sounds incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

+1

The Silicon Valley wages arms race is hilarious, sounds like complete madness to pay a software developer $150k a year , but suddenly the $4000 rent for a 1 bed apartment, $300 for your weekly shopping for 1 and $8 coffee's leave you living the same standard of life and the same level of brokeness as a 35k job in Ireland living in Dublin.

Why would there shopping be $300 a week for a single person?
    Walmart in Silicone Valley isn't going to be dramatically more than Walmart elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

DubJJ wrote: »
    Why would there showing be $300 a week for a single person?
    Walmart in Silicone Valley isn't going to be dramatically more than Walmart elsewhere?

Theres no walmart in downtown san fransisco, a pack of 2 chicken fillets is $10 in a downtown grocery store

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't think it is.
    Look at the UK and US if you are going to generalise then property is way cheaper in both.
    Property in NI is way cheaper then Ireland too.

I am currently house hunting in Oslo,it is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

+1

This is fact , areas such as West Oakland miles out from San Fran city are seeing 1bed apartments reaching well above 2.5k a month. West Oakland wouldn't have been considered a safe place but it's changing as professionals look to rent there because of the madness in San Fran.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

People have convinced themselves Ireland is expensive, just like they've convinced themselves the Irish education system is brilliant. It's the typical thing of say it enough times and it must be true. You only need to have Location, Location, Location on to see the UK tends to be way more expensive than all but the most desirable or huge properties in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Crappy towns in China, Thailand, Malaysia India all shifting tiny apartments in next decades social slums for over €200k. If you want a normal house in an international city in these places you had better have a mill. Canada, new Zealand, Australia, multi million city houses are the norm.

I have been to districts of Mumbai that make Dublin feel cheap but I think they are rather rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

People have convinced themselves Ireland is expensive, just like they've convinced themselves the Irish education system is brilliant. It's the typical thing of say it enough times and it must be true. You only need to have Location, Location, Location on to see the UK tends to be way more expensive than all but the most desirable or huge properties in Dublin.

The areas of regional UK that are dearer than Dublin are all similar to Foxrock really. There are just more of them, which you'd expect in a larger country

Property in Dublin is dearer than it should be based on earnings; not being as much dearer than London or other cities is not something to boast about.

Central premium apartments are going to be dear anywhere; and international comparisons to other central premium apartments are basically irrelevant. Its the inner suburbs where people want to live that are comically priced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/bidding-on-cairn-homes-apartments-hits-96m-36807398.html

120 apartments at €750,000 and €800,000 per unit sold. Biggest bidder? REITs. These guys see a bright future in the rental market in Dublin anyway!

L1011 wrote: »
    The areas of regional UK that are dearer than Dublin are all similar to Foxrock really. There are just more of them, which you'd expect in a larger country

They're really, really not.
    Property in Dublin is dearer than it should be based on earnings; not being as much dearer than London or other cities is not something to boast about.

Maybe so based on earnings but that doesn't make it expensive in comparison to vast swathes of the UK and other comparable European cities.
    Central premium apartments are going to be dear anywhere; and international comparisons to other central premium apartments are basically irrelevant. Its the inner suburbs where people want to live that are comically priced here.

Again not only are they not in comparison to similar cities it's only South Co. Dublin, which is driven by property snobbery that's frankly much more rife in Ireland than the UK.

jon1981 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/bidding-on-cairn-homes-apartments-hits-96m-36807398.html

120 apartments at €750,000 and €800,000 per unit sold. Biggest bidder? REITs. These guys see a bright future in the rental market in Dublin anyway!

Thanks for the link I was wondering about this.

What's unreasonable for the country (not for the developers of for REITs) is that none of the new builds in the docklands seem to be sold on the open market. With all the residential units in Capital Dock are already to be retained as rental units for employees of the companies who occupy the the commercial units and now this, it seems like some who wants one of the many new build apartments in the area as an individual won't have much to look at. I know it is not your regular area, but still leaving all new residential units in the hand of developers and REITs sound wrong to me.

They're really, really not.

Show me the ones that *aren't*
    T
    Maybe so based on earnings but that doesn't make it expensive in comparison to vast swathes of the UK and other comparable European cities.

Based on earnings is all that is relevant. What surreal equivalent metric have you invented?
    T
    Again not only are they not in comparison to similar cities it's only South Co. Dublin, which is driven by property snobbery that's frankly much more rife in Ireland than the UK.

D15 equivalents in most European cities are more affordable than D15 actually is. Its not just Ross O'Carroll Kelly land.

Show me the ones that *aren't*

You made, that rather ridiculous, claim. You back it up.
    Based on earnings is all that is relevant. What surreal equivalent metric have you invented?

The premise of the thread.
    D15 equivalents in most European cities are more affordable than D15 actually is. Its not just Ross O'Carroll Kelly land.

Can you define that or give examples? Genuine question. We're talking a suburb 15km from cc with good services?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Bob24 wrote: »

Define crappy town?

Birmingham? Big enough to be good, but ugly and depressing to be stuck in.

It's a serious question, I hear my friends regurgitate Irish newspaper opinion on the high prices here when I know if I compared a dub semi with a garden for 600k to a house in an Asian city worth living in, I'd need 1mill+

Im not even comparing us to London or New York, but Asian cities where a comparable wage is 4 times less for an identical position.

You made, that rather ridiculous, claim. You back it up.

The premise of the thread.

Can you define that or give examples? Genuine question. We're talking a suburb 15km from cc with good services?

No proof, no basis. Thanks.

The requirement of proof here is on you and you reject it thrice. Because you haven't got a shred.

No proof, no basis. Thanks.

The requirement of proof here is on you and you reject it thrice. Because you haven't got a shred.

You made a claim that the UK's suburbs that are more expensive than Dublin suburbs are all like Foxrock. I asked for you to proof, you rejected it. So your point is defeated there.

You got the premise of the thread wrong, in trying to frame it for earnings, which while the accepted metric is not what the OP asked for, they simply said in comparison to their travels Ireland is not expensive. It patently isn't in comparison. You're simply not answering the question there.

I asked you to simply define what you mean by D15 I was perfectly willing to engage with you there, your only relevant and non-hyperbolic (is that even a word?) point. But you refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Moonbeam wrote: »

I am currently house hunting in Oslo,it is painful.

Cool, how much are you looking at? And what do you get for your money?

Friends in the UK pay mad prices for terrible Victorian or post war box's, unless picking a house in a deprived or troubled area which is cheap. Although England prices are all a bit skewed with the drop in exchange.

• Advertisement

You made a claim that the UK's suburbs that are more expensive than Dublin suburbs are all like Foxrock. I asked for you to proof, you rejected it. So your point is defeated there.

You got the premise of the thread wrong, in trying to frame it for earnings, which while the accepted metric is not what the OP asked for, they simply said in comparison to their travels Ireland is not expensive. It patently isn't in comparison. You're simply not answering the question there.

I asked you to simply define what you mean by D15 I was perfectly willing to engage with you there, your only relevant and non-hyperbolic (is that even a word?) point. But you refuse.

You are the one defending ideas that Dublin is cheaper, not me.

What basis for dearer is there beyond earnings? You seem to like this one so you have to have one. Have you any other metric for affordability?

If you need a definition of D15, I despair for the education system

You are the one defending ideas that Dublin is cheaper, not me.

What basis for dearer is there beyond earnings? You seem to like this one so you have to have one. Have you any other metric for affordability?

If you need a definition of D15, I despair for the education system

Points one and two have been covered. I asked for your definition of D15. I'd draw a comparison of somewhere like Bicester, Banbury or Banbridge as I'm familiar with those areas. You'll no doubt tell me that's wrong for X,Y reasons, so I'm simply asking for you to put some meat on the bones of your argument at which point I'll happily take a look.

Sorry that asking you to back up your assertions is proving so difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Most of Europe is cheaper. Most of the US. Most of the U.K. for that matter.

The three countries you mentioned are in a bubble.

Points one and two have been covered. I asked for your definition of D15. I'd draw a comparison of somewhere like Bicester, Banbury or Banbridge as I'm familiar with those areas. You'll no doubt tell me that's wrong for X,Y reasons, so I'm simply asking for you to put some meat on the bones of your argument at which point I'll happily take a look.

Sorry that asking you to back up your assertions is proving so difficult.

D15 is a postcode. It is clearly defined.

You still haven't given the most basic morsel of evidence for your claims I see. That legal career may become challenging.

+1

They rarely cook in fact. But that’s accurate enough.

Birmingham? Big enough to be good, but ugly and depressing to be stuck in.

It's a serious question, I hear my friends regurgitate Irish newspaper opinion on the high prices here when I know if I compared a dub semi with a garden for 600k to a house in an Asian city worth living in, I'd need 1mill+

Im not even comparing us to London or New York, but Asian cities where a comparable wage is 4 times less for an identical position.

You were only quoting developing Asian countries in your original post related to that statement. Can you mention an exemple of what you would call "crappy towns in China [...] shifting tiny apartments in next decades social slums for over €200k".

I'm picking China as I know the place and it honestly sounds like a strange statement to me. These prices (or higher) do exist in some cities of 5 to 20 millions which are all massive economic hubs, especially in eastern cities between Beijing and Hong Kong. But I wouldn't call any of these "crappy town".

D15 is a postcode. It is clearly defined.

You still haven't given the most basic morsel of evidence for your claims I see. That legal career may become challenging.

Ah the ad hominem pettiness starts, nice.

Nonsense. Only london is more expensive.

Nonsense. Only london is more expensive.

Than Dublin?

Oxfordshire, Home Counties, Edinburgh, Manchester, Cheshire...

Edit: Genuinely willing to be convinced here Franz - my experience is Dublin is not as expensive as most of the UK major cities.

• Advertisement

Ah the ad hominem pettiness starts, nice.

Because you are making ridiculous claims and don't even understand Dublin postcodes, it is quite reasonable to assume you don't know what you are talking about

Advertisement