Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Vs the world

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

L1011 wrote: »
    Because you are making ridiculous claims and don't even understand Dublin postcodes, it is quite reasonable to assume you don't know what you are talking about

You and I both know that's not the situation here. I'd have expected better from a mod frankly. As for ridiculous claims, the UK is full of Foxrocks, LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You and I both know that's not the situation here. I'd have expected better from a mod frankly.

Its rather critical when you are making arguments about Dublin property prices

You don't know what you're talking about, and should not be making arguments from a basis that you do. If you don't know what D15 refers to you don't know Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Than Dublin?

Oxfordshire, Home Counties, Edinburgh, Manchester, Cheshire...

The average house price in Manchester is £ 187538. Edinburgh is fairly expensive at £286000 per house but cheaper than Dublin.

Then there’s Bristol,Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle, Sheffield, all of Wales, the rest of Scotland, most coastal towns and entire areas that are forgotten when Dublin is compared to New York, or Singapore or London or Edinburgh or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

The three countries you mentioned are in a bubble.

And yes kind of, but is it a bubble if it has lasted 20 years. Or is it just the new normal, like Ireland before the euro when you could get a house for less than a BMW.

India & China account for 1/3 of the world. They are a good comparison of the global 'norm' by their populations alone.

Its rather critical when you are making arguments about Dublin property prices

You don't know what you're talking about, and should not be making arguments from a basis that you do. If you don't know what D15 refers to you don't know Dublin.

It's not critical at all - get a hold of yourself. The OP was borderline trolling.

How many times do I need to cover I was asking for you to define what you wanted from a comparison. You brought up D15 I suggested some comparisons.

Clearly you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

• Advertisement

The average house price in Manchester is £ 187538. Edinburgh is fairly expensive at £286000 per house but cheaper than Dublin.

Then there’s Bristol,Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle, Sheffield, all of Wales, the rest of Scotland, most coastal towns and entire areas that are forgotten when Dublin is compared to New York, or Singapore or whatever.

I think it's compared like that due to the scale of the city. There's some sort of financial index I'll see if I can dig it out. Dublin is Alpha Minus or Beta plus isn't it? Melbourne being a comparable rather than the like of Wales or Rural Scotland in fairness.

Edit: Does anyone have that index I can't remember what it's called it's been linked in the forum before.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not critical at all - get a hold of yourself. The OP was borderline trolling.

How many times do I need to cover I was asking for you to define what you wanted from a comparison. You brought up D15 I suggested some comparisons.

Clearly you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

You didn't know what D15 meant. Scrabbling for cover doesn't help.

I don't see any point in replying further when the UK* is all you want to talk about. You don't have the vaguest clue about Dublin prices and everyone can see that.

*and yet, when asked to give UK examples for something, you didn't

You didn't know what D15 meant. Scrabbling for cover doesn't help.

I don't see any point in replying further when the UK* is all you want to talk about. You don't have the vaguest clue about Dublin prices and everyone can see that.

*and yet, when asked to give UK examples for something, you didn't

Duck out, good idea.

Closest I could find this this - probably a good indicator is the comparable German cities?

No idea where this is but 1 bed in Munich there at 220K. You'd get a 1 bed 36sqm apartment in Dublin under that (just).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just be thankful the Chinese aren't interested in property in Dublin.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Just be thankful the Chinese aren't interested in property in Dublin.

Yes that IS my point. They WILL be.

They will perceive 'normal' prices for a nice apartment with European standards WAY higher than what we want to pay.

In a tier 2 city in India, you get a (tiny) 2/3 bed apartment for €250k+ its nowhere near town and advertised as having 'running water' as if it has a jacuzzi balcony overlooking at Stephens green. The building standards make Celtic tiger houses look space age. But what you get has a cost of about 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Then there’s Bristol,Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle, Sheffield, all of Wales, the rest of Scotland, most coastal towns and entire areas that are forgotten when Dublin is compared to New York, or Singapore or London or Edinburgh or whatever.

Sheffield should only be equated to say the bad parts of east wall / D1, saying most of wales is like saying most of cavan/donegal/monaghan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Sheffield should only be equated to say the bad parts of east wall / D1, saying most of wales is like saying most of cavan/donegal/monaghan

Except Cardiff is a city of ~500k and Cavan town isn’t.

Anyway I quoted more than 1 area or city.

I don’t buy this alpha city nonsense. Dublin is like Newcastle with Facebook and worse traffic. And Facebook isn’t hers for ever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

househero wrote: »
    Cool, how much are you looking at? And what do you get for your money?

Friends in the UK pay mad prices for terrible Victorian or post war box's, unless picking a house in a deprived or troubled area which is cheap. Although England prices are all a bit skewed with the drop in exchange.

A 4 bed house within half an hour of the city,they have 82% ownership and don't have large families so the rental market is a nightmare for me.
    It seems to be about 3k pm for a 4 bed on the train/T and 30-40 minutes out.

Except Cardiff is a city of ~500k and Cavan town isn’t.

Anyway I quoted more than 1 area or city.

I don’t buy this alpha city nonsense. Dublin is like Newcastle with Facebook and worse traffic. And Facebook isn’t hers for ever.

We're considered a Global Financial centre, I've no axe to grind here, if someone wants to show me how we're not then fair enough but I have to say I agree with the OP's premise we're not as expensive as everyone makes out we are. Now affordability is a different story and of course I'd love to see a city where everyone can afford to buy a home.

Swansea (metro) isn't tiny either in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The uk is a much bigger market, and while there can be good value you wont find somewhere in a good area of the major cities cheap.

in a city like Liverpool which is not an expensive city the posh/nice bits are not cheap. Its the same everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

I'm sorry but to be comparing Dublin to the likes of Singapore and London is ridiculous.

We're a regional capital within the EU and should be comparing ourselves to cities such as Cardiff, Edinburgh and Manchester. Compared to all of these we are bloody expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

DubJJ wrote: »
    I'm sorry but to be comparing Dublin to the likes of Singapore and London is ridiculous.

We're a regional capital within the EU and should be comparing ourselves to cities such as Cardiff, Edinburgh and Manchester. Compared to all of these we are bloody expensive.

Dublin salaries are significantly higher than in Cardiff. While the difference may not fully explain the expensiveness of Dublin, the possibility of lower population growth in Cardiff and fewer MNC might explain the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Ireland vs Rest of Europe

In 2016 only UK and France was more expensive. With our house price inflation running rampant since then, I suspect we are now ahead of France.

It also has the numbers for selected cities. Confirms that Dublin was more expensive than most European cities in 2016

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dublin is the capital city of a small EU country so would compare to cities like Copenhagen and Prague. It is NOT an Alpha world city. Anyone who believes so is really deluded.

It is also grossly overpriced in terms of housing for a city of its size and status because of a dysfunctional planning system that is restricting high density housing provision and a laissez faire right wing neoliberal government who don’t see the need for a proper social housing provision programme.

Plus public transport is generally poor.

• Advertisement

Ireland is a very expensive country in general. It would be useful to know the relative house construction costs for say France and Germany to compare against. If they were similar to here, then good old supply vs demand is the culprit.

Decentralise is probably the answer but people who think living in Dublin is the only option don't like hearing that going on previous threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Dublin is the capital city of a small EU country so would compare to cities like Copenhagen and Prague. It is NOT an Alpha world city. Anyone who believes so is really deluded.

It is also grossly overpriced in terms of housing for a city of its size and status because of a dysfunctional planning system that is restricting high density housing provision and a laissez faire right wing neoliberal government who don’t see the need for a proper social housing provision programme.

Comparisons with other juristictions can be notoriously wobbly.

One of the biggest issues in the UK,as an example,is proximity to "Good Schools" (particularly CATHOLIC ones :eek: ) which plays a major role in determining value and marketability.

The other significant issue,for working folks,is proximity to a railway Station/Service,and by this I mean medium to high frequency connections to an employment hub.

Our property market,such as it is,appears dominated by the creations of decidely suspect "Developers" rather than the considered requirements of the Customer ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Theres no walmart in downtown san fransisco, a pack of 2 chicken fillets is $10 in a downtown grocery store

San Francisco is not silicon valley... Palo Alto, Mountain View, Cupertino etc.. are silicon valley and they have Walmart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The fascinating thing is, while it's more on par with said cities, it has one thing that the others don't: They have a lot of multinationals like the big capitals and they do employ a high amount of people. While you'd have smaller offices in other countries, the ones in Dublin are huge and I believe this is part why this disproportion exists in the first place.

For example google employs almost 7000 people in Ireland while it's just a few hundred in Vienna.
    Lots of other multinationals have huge offices in proportion to cities/countries similar in size to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

I don't think you know what laissez faire means. Restrictive planning laws are the antithesis of a genuinely "laissez faire right wing neoliberal government"

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

I don't think you know what laissez faire means. Restrictive planning laws are the antithesis of a genuinely "laissez faire right wing neoliberal government"

DubJJ wrote: »
    What a load of tripe

Travel much?

Backwater cities in Asia, with wages 3 times lower than Ireland, are shifting property 3 times more expensive than Cork or Galway.

Stop obsessing over UK Prices, which is in a cyclical, Brexit blamed recession.

The rest of the working world has huge property values. Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

househero wrote: »
    The rest of the working world has huge property values.

We have the highest property prices of our European peers. But don't let facts get in your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

househero wrote:
    The rest of the working world has huge property values. Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Asia

Maybe one or two of these countries will experience the elusive 'soft landing'!

• Advertisement

Diarmuid wrote: »
    We have the highest property prices of our European peers. But don't let facts get in your way.

You sure?

House_to_income_OECD.jpg
    https://data.oecd.org/hha/housing.htm

As I said previously, if the Chinese were interested, Dublin wouldn't know what hit it.

Advertisement