Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New scope info

• 15-04-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

Looking to pick myself up a new scope for my 243 i will be using both on range and hunting looking for any information possible personal knowledge ect would like something that has ballistic turrets windage elevation and fairly accurate.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

It might help if you let us know how much you want to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Keith2828

zeissman wrote: »
    It might help if you let us know how much you want to spend

Id have possibility about €1000 to spend whick im guessing i would need about this mich to get a decent reliable scope i was looking at the vortex viper pst gen 2 5-25×50 but as you could understand im been very cautious as to pick the right one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Keith2828 wrote: »
    Id have possibility about €1000 to spend whick im guessing i would need about this mich to get a decent reliable scope i was looking at the vortex viper pst gen 2 5-25×50 but as you could understand im been very cautious as to pick the right one

Go Second hand, you'll find a much better scope for your budget if you do.

garv123 wrote: »
    Go Second hand, you'll find a much better scope for your budget if you do.

Any suggestions on a scope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Keith2828 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on a scope?

I had a look at a Zeiss v4 6-24×50 last week. It's a nice scope, it has a target turret for elevation and a standard hunting type turret for Windage. I seen them advertised for around 1050 euro.
    I bought a Zeiss hd5 5-25×50 last year and it works well for hunting and targets. It cost 700 sterling but they have been replaced now with the v4 and v6 series.

• Advertisement

Iv been looking at a scope its vortex viper pst gen 2 5-25×50 just wondering dose anyone know anything about this one an also the vortex pmr rings only fit to a pikitinny rail and my 243 has a dovetail rail?any suggestions cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Don't buy the Vortex rings, just buy a reliable make that is compatible with the dove tail.
    If it's a CZ, sportmatch does a selection of rings for them.

Don't buy the Vortex rings, just buy a reliable make that is compatible with the dove tail.
    If it's a CZ, sportmatch does a selection of rings for them.

So jist stick with the dovetail you recommend someone was saying to me to change the rail on the rifle to pikatinny rail which obviously would rise the cost

What rifle are you shooting?

If your going for big objective lense scopes (50/56 mm) and all the whistle and bells, the overall length of the scope can also be an issue as well as the final height of the ocular / eye piece.
    If the scope is long and the rifle has iron sights then you may need to mount the scope higher to avoid the fixed sights. If using a wide objective you may also have to mount higher to clear the barrel. Either way this may effect check weld which in turn will effect consistent accuracy.

So a smaller / shorter scope may mount very neatly to your rifle resulting in an overall better fit for you and you gun.
    If your gun has iron sights then the odds or it was designed to be shot with them and the stock will be set up to allow for a good cheek weld looking over the action. Usually this rifle will tolerate medium sized scopes sitting low to the action. Otherwise you'll need to build up the comb to bring you in line with the eye piece. Similarly if you are adding more hard ware between the scope and the action you may be unnecessarily add height.

I have one rifle with picatinny rail to receiver mounted with rings while two others are rings straight to dove tails. Remington AFAIK have ring to reciever mounting systems as do others. Me, I would prefer to eliminate any unnecessary hard ware and if I was to go again and with hind sight of drop the rail and go to direct mounted rings, my reciever is pre drilled and came with rail attached.

Sorry re- read your post, is your rifle reciever milled for a dovetail or has it a rail mounted on it?

• Advertisement

Sorry re- read your post, is your rifle reciever milled for a dovetail or has it a rail mounted on it?

It jas a rail mounted on it its a tikka t3 hunter 243 the scope i have on it is 15.4" in length burris four x 3-12×56 and tge vortex viper pst gen 2 is 16" in length 5-25×50 so it should fit okay as size is fairly simular

Yep there shouldn't be an issue with scope size.
    Are both scopes the same diameter in the tube? If so and your happy with the mounts then use them. If there's a difference in tube size than I would suggest purchasing the same rings again (if identifiable) just with the different sizing.

From a quick desk top check both scopes are 30mm tubes, so unless there's something I'm missing slap the new one into the existing rings and if your happy with your cheek weld etc then your sorted.

From a quick desk top check both scopes are 30mm tubes, so unless there's something I'm missing slap the new one into the existing rings and if your happy with your cheek weld etc then your sorted.

Yea i think their both the same wasn't sure if it would matter about using same mounts thank you pleasure as always cookie

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hollowpoint123

Steiner 4-16x56 or secondhand like someone mentioned is your best bet! I wouldn't rate the vortex for hunting at low light ! but the warranty is fantastic, pros and cons to everything.

Advertisement