Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening A UK Bank Account - Broke Student

• 15-04-2018 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi lads, i'm going opening a bank account in Scotland but don't know where to start. I will be going to study in Scotland, Edinburgh.

I need one to pay off my accommodation, and I don't know where I can transfer my money €5000 savings to pay off a large sum of money to a uk bank account!

I really need some advise as I will be moving there and I would really hate to be constantly charged for changing euro to GBP especially with all the hard earned money I have to pay off my day to day living costs without any financial assistance, I really have to make savings which would benefit me in the future.

I will be moving in September.
    Would appreciate if anyone has gone through this situation before, many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

call ulster bank in northern ireland they will open a sterling account for you, i opened an account in newry a few years ago over the phone with a southern irish address no hastles at all. just had to bring a few documents into my local ulster bank and they sent them onto to newry, had the account opened within a few days with internet banking also.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hi lads, i'm going opening a bank account in Scotland but don't know where to start. I will be going to study in Scotland, Edinburgh.

I need one to pay off my accommodation, and I don't know where I can transfer my money €5000 savings to pay off a large sum of money to a uk bank account!

I really need some advise as I will be moving there and I would really hate to be constantly charged for changing euro to GBP especially with all the hard earned money I have to pay off my day to day living costs without any financial assistance, I really have to make savings which would benefit me in the future.

I will be moving in September.
    Would appreciate if anyone has gone through this situation before, many thanks!

Open a Revolut account. You can transfer euro from your Irish Bank account to it and convert into sterling (up to €5,000 a month without fees).

You can then use Revolut in the UK as a sterling bank account until such time as you set up a current account in a bricks-and-mortar bank in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Quackster wrote: »
    Open a Revolut account. You can transfer euro from your Irish Bank account to it and convert into sterling (up to €5,000 a month without fees).

You can then use Revolut in the UK as a sterling bank account until such time as you set up a current account in a bricks-and-mortar bank in Scotland.
    Or, once you are situated in the UK, you can use the likes of Starling or Monzo and they will send you out a card like N26 does in the euro zone.

Advertisement