Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting Agent Wont Give me Landlord Details

Options
  • 15-04-2018 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Long story short I've been having issues getting essential maintenance done on the house (one room unusable due to mold which supposedly was fixed before I moved in) and other issues and want to make a complaint with the RTB. The only problem is I need the landlord contact details since they are on the contract but the letting agent I am dealing with refuses to give me their details. What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ainecaine

If the contract is between you and the agency, then surely they are the landlord. You do not have a legal agreement with any other party.

If it is the landlord you have a contract with, perhaps put care of the agency as the address details.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Register a complaint with the RTB

• Registered Users Posts: 5 newnoob

Register a complaint with the RTB

I am trying but that requires the landlords address which the letting agent is withholding

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phone the PSRA - they will find an agent refusing such info interesting to say the least.

Also - what is on the RTB register?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Why can’t you just give the letting agent as if they are acting on ll behalf. They would be the person you lodge the dispute with.normally if a ll gives management over to agency then agency is the target. Not the ll.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Our Estate agent refuses to hand out LL details too, and as part of their contract the LL is not allowed to contact us. You can find out who the LL is by looking up who owns the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fol20 wrote: »
    Why can’t you just give the letting agent as if they are acting on ll behalf. They would be the person you lodge the dispute with.normally if a ll gives management over to agency then agency is the target. Not the ll.

It's very important to get the liable party in any dispute. I'm not saying the agency can't be taken to the RTB, I simply don't know but it would be much safer to have the LL's details. IIRC there is a provision in the RTA that those details are required to be given to the tenant.

As above though checking the register is a very good idea for a number of reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

If the letting agent is acting for the landlord then I presume they are the landlords representative and therefore can be name as the party the complaint is against.

If the landlord has a management agreement with the letting agent it is reasonable that all correspondence go through the letting agent.

While I manage all properties directly as landlord and have had my address on leases, I had a case last year where the tenants were using the apartment for criminal activity. I was worried for my family that the tenants had my address. Even the guards said to me why I’m gods name would you put your personal adddress on the lease.

Advertisement