Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Youths

Options
  • 16-04-2018 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

It's been bugging me for a while that this forum is pretty much all about PDC, with the odd BDO thread thrown in when it's topical.

Hey, that's all well and good - I don't mean that as a criticism - but it irks me to see so little attention paid to the great things that our own players are doing outside of the PDC circuit, particularly the youths. Mea culpa, I have a keyboard too...

For sure some of you know already about the rich emerging talent we have on this island but others may not so I figured I'd start this thread. These kids deserve better than a single post in the General Chat thread and honestly, if you haven't been to any tournament in Ireland and watched the youths events I can tell you it's inspiring to see the dedication, enthusiasm, skill and sportsmanship these young guys and girls show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

So here's what happened on saturday ...

Katie Sheldon wins the German Masters Girls ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Pretty impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Not a current youth but not long since he was one - Steve Lennon looks like a player with the ability to establish himself in the top 32 at least. He is getting some great experience against the big name players and at 24 he can only get better. I thought he did very well the other day against Michael Smith coming from 4-1 down to 4-4 and just faded little at the end to lose 6-4.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Don't forget 16 year old Killian Heffernan who made the 2018 BDO World Youth Championships final. He averaged 83 in the final which was better than a lot in the senior championships. Hopefully he can kick on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Dean Finn too great little player made the last 4 on the development tour Saturday.

I don't see the point in posting much about it as there's only what about 10 of us who are active on this forum, I'd be surprised if any of us go to these events and they are not streamed so there's not much to say?

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Don't forget 16 year old Killian Heffernan who made the 2018 BDO World Youth Championships final. He averaged 83 in the final which was better than a lot in the senior championships.

Both Killian and Keane Barry played on the Meath Men's team that won the Inter-Counties Championship earlier this year. Young Cian Mc Cormack played on Dublin Men's team that won the Inter-County B Championship a couple of weeks back.

Aside from Killian reaching the BDO World Final Katie Sheldon reached the World Masters (Girls) final in Japan last year, with Keane Barry reaching the World Masters (Boys) final.

Here's the BDO final, where Killian came up against Justin Van Tergouw (a name I got no doubt you'll be hearing a lot in the future!) ... I'll try find the streams for the Masters finals later ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Evan Byrne from wicklow is another name that I have no doubt that you will hearing about in the not too distant future.

He's won a few INDO youth events and does well in the men's events also.
    If I'm not mistaken, he has represented wicklow at senior County level on a number of occasions aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Jordan Boyce from Donegal, didn't he get to the BDO World Youths final few years back.
    He is on the Donegal Senior men's team but don't think would be in the top four in Donegal, never mind making a break through at a higher level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

raiders11 wrote: »
    Jordan Boyce from Donegal, didn't he get to the BDO World Youths final few years back.
    He is on the Donegal Senior men's team but don't think would be in the top four in Donegal, never mind making a break through at a higher level.

Loads from the north. Nathan Rafferty won a development tour this year and knocked snakebite out of the UK open.

Super effort again by Killian Heffernan in reaching the BDO Welsh Open Boy's Final without dropping a leg all day!

The final is due to be played at 6.55pm today (sunday) and will be streamed live here

At the same venue on friday former European & World Masters Youths champion Robyn Byrne missed out by the smallest of margins, beaten 4-3 in the final round by Rhian O'Sullivan of Wales, on qualifying for the BDO Ladies World Trophy finals.
    Killian and Robyn are also both playing in the Welsh Open mens/ladies today (full draw is available on the stream link above)

• Advertisement
Advertisement