Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Glendalough 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Yup. Looking forward to it despite complete lack of cycling training. Was great fun last year and weather was great too so hoping for more of the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

I've signed up the long distance, shall be fun especially as I'll be doing return to Derry for job on the Friday.

How does it compare to Gaelforce West? Have done that one a few times, 1st time for Glendalough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

How does it compare to Gaelforce West? Have done that one a few times, 1st time for Glendalough

Quest Glendalough is logistically much easier with the later start time and shamrock out and back course.
    Easier start time. Slightly shorter in race time (about 85% of GFW race time). Steeper cycles. Slightly less running and generally shorter runs. Similar kayak length.
    Both are in stunning parts of Ireland.

You can leave extra bottles at the bike transition in Quest Glendo so you should not run out of fluids, unless it really is a warm day (which it is forecast to be)

The run after the bike (the one out to the kayak) is harder then it looks on the map as you are already a bit tired and it climbs for what seems like ages. The kayak in the upper lake of Glendalough is probably the highlight although the descents from Shay Elliott and Sliabh Maan on the bike are also class.
    The sneaky third bike climb up to the second run is less fun.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Agree with all of the above. This will be my 3rd time doing the 41k and it's a class route, tough climbs, breath taking scenery and a great Kayak on the upper lake. The decent of the Shay Elliott is not for the faint hearted! Also the run from the bike to kayak is horrible!! Looks warm for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Great day for racing albeit extremely warm and doubt anyone in Ireland could have trained accordingly :D
    Thanks to Marshals etc enjoyed it and bettered last years result by a big margin..
    Now for some well deserved beers..
    Hope everyone got round safe..Nice crowd going round too.
    Results are up too..
    http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/QuestGlendalough2018.html

• Advertisement

Ya unbelievable day. Stunning view from the peak of the 2nd run on the expert. Had cream on but face is raw. Pricy but excellent event and organisation.

Savage day, really enjoyed the sport again. That run from the bike to kayak is a b**tard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Have some farmers tan with a mark from the watch and the dibber after yesterday!

Wasn't prepared for the severity of those climbs on the two runs! Great day out! I'll definitely be better prepared for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Photog shooting at Bookey Bridge as we (non competitors) passed - curious if anyone has seen shots posted to have a peak?

ED E wrote: »
    Photog shooting at Bookey Bridge as we (non competitors) passed - curious if anyone has seen shots posted to have a peak?

If you keep an eye on Quest Ireland's Facebook page over the next few days you'll see them.

• Advertisement

Newtown90 wrote: »
    If you keep an eye on Quest Ireland's Facebook page over the next few days you'll see them.

And action photographys website

Some fantastic photos here, also hundreds up on Quest facebook page

www.clearskiesahead.com/f173320171

ED E wrote: »

Sure you might even buy it....;)

Any one tell me if Quest have a lost and found department..
    Not the end of the world bottle cage, bottle and pump rattled off on our beautiful roads...say after run 2 on the long course.
    Reminds me the descent off Sleeve Mann pot holes filled with gravel...

Any one tell me if Quest have a lost and found department..
    Not the end of the world bottle cage, bottle and pump rattled off on our beautiful roads...say after run 2 on the long course.
    Reminds me the descent off Sleeve Mann pot holes filled with gravel...

Pretty sure I passed a pump on the first cycle and a Garmin 500! I wasn't prepared to stop on the climb to pick them up however!

Pretty sure I passed a pump on the first cycle and a Garmin 500! I wasn't prepared to stop on the climb to pick them up however!

Understandable... :D a Garmin 500 is a loss compared to a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SummerTime14

Hi all, resurrecting this thread in the hope of getting an entry to this years Quest in Glendalough. Want to do the 19k. Didn’t sign up as new to the fitness world and wanted to get some training under my belt and now they are sold out! Have my name on the wait list but since they don’t really have an official cancellation policy I don’t hold out too much hope! If anyone hears of anyone that can’t do please let me know! Thanks

Hi all, resurrecting this thread in the hope of getting an entry to this years Quest in Glendalough. Want to do the 19k. Didn’t sign up as new to the fitness world and wanted to get some training under my belt and now they are sold out! Have my name on the wait list but since they don’t really have an official cancellation policy I don’t hold out too much hope! If anyone hears of anyone that can’t do please let me know! Thanks

Keep an eye on the Facebook event page.. people generally try sell there before the race

Ah no!!!...ive missed it as well..
    Looking for a long course entry should anyone have a spare
    I’ll start a new thread i think..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SummerTime14

Keep an eye on the Facebook event page.. people generally try sell there before the race

Thanks will do!

• Advertisement
Advertisement