Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Free tolls' for electric vehicles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If in the next few years the option to buy batteries from gen 1 EVs for storage becomes viable, PV becomes a much more viable option.
    If you can install a system to generate 30kWh per day then you could charge the car, fill the storage, and run your house. All 100% renewable.

The question is, how much in 3 years will 20kWh say of storage cost. If you buy 2 gen 1 leafs with 6 bars left how easy would it be to remove the batteries and use them as storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

_ned_ wrote: »
    I'd agree. Cheaper access to Solar PV would be great. ElectricIreland offer an install for ~€4000-4500 generating 1500-1600 units, about €250 worth of daytime electricity. 6.25% ROI.

The install is only €3500 as you can get the VAT back under the incentive scheme. But as bp_me said, only a fraction of that is actually used, most goes back to the grid for free. Even in a very optimistic case that half is used, that's worth about 800kWh * 13c (last time I looked at the cheapest day rate) = €100

So ROI of 2.8% or pay back time of 35 years. With the slight problem that the inverter will have been replaced at least twice in those years and some of the panels themselves might not be the best either after all that time

So unfortunately, an offer like electric Ireland, will NEVER pay for itself :(

unkel wrote: »
    The install is only €3500 as you can get the VAT back under the incentive scheme. But as bp_me said, only a fraction of that is actually used, most goes back to the grid for free. Even in a very optimistic case that half is used, that's worth about 800kWh * 13c (last time I looked at the cheapest day rate) = €100

So ROI of 2.8% or pay back time of 35 years. With the slight problem that the inverter will have been replaced at least twice in those years and some of the panels themselves might not be the best either after all that time

So unfortunately, an offer like electric Ireland, will NEVER pay for itself :(

PV without storage will never pay for itself, in a realistic time period. IMHO.
    Storage is the next thing to happen. With the end of life for 1st gen EVs coming soon.... I wonder if this will increase the viability of domestic storage. Even without PV there's a case to be made for storage. Fill a 30kWh battery at night on night rate at 6 c/kWh and use it during the day. Saving of 7c per kWh.

ELM327 wrote: »
    PV without storage will never pay for itself

PV is getting a lot cheaper all the time, but I agree with your statement. I see 3 phases of storage

1. grid storage is already available for free, needs no investments from anyone but it needs a FIT

2. EV storage. As in V2H or V2G. Whereever an EV is plugged in, it should be fed with connected PV (via the grid, via your own solar PV, etc.)

3. Grid and home attached battery storage. This is still very expensive and not viable without subsidies. It is getting close in countries like Australia, where the electricity rates are sky high and where you can produce huge amounts of PV from your panels as it's a very sunny place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭_ned_

Anyone see that video of a Model X pulling a Boeing 737? Two or 3 of them might be able to pull Ireland a bit closer to Australia. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Does anybody know what the crack is with the half price tools. I just called eFlow and they say that they have not been given the official go ahead and that the tolls will still be full price come Friday.

It has not been introduced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

When is it due to be introduced? I thought it was supposed to be from 1st of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Maybe the government got busy with some other legislation they are working on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Govt is full of half prices tools

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    When is it due to be introduced? I thought it was supposed to be from 1st of June.

I never seen anything mentioned about 1st June

When it is released I am sure the government will be looking for plenty of press coverage

Seeing also as the abortion thing is getting fast tracked and the government are "delaying" holidays till that is put through I would guess this won't be out till after their holidays

Not a huge priority I would guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

UP: Just got an email from tolltag.ie saying that this is going ahead on 1st of July and whether I'd like to apply for it. Here is the information document:

Reduced tolls for BEVs and PHEVs

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Just got the eflow discount email

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Congratulations!![/font][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Your car has been recognised as being eligible for the Electric Vehicle Tolling Incentive scheme by the Department of Transport. [/font][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What does this mean? It means you are now entitled to even further discounted tolls. [/font][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]For example, if you travel through the M50 toll during Off Peak time, now you only pay €0.52 instead of €2.10. That's a 75% discount off your toll![/font][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]EVTIrefundexample.jpg[/font]

Dglflyer wrote: »
    Just got the eflow discount email

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Congratulations!![/font][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Your car has been recognised as being eligible for the Electric Vehicle Tolling Incentive scheme by the Department of Transport. [/font][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What does this mean? It means you are now entitled to even further discounted tolls. [/font][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]For example, if you travel through the M50 toll during Off Peak time, now you only pay €0.52 instead of €2.10. That's a 75% discount off your toll![/font][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]IzXimxgNbUN3kC3l5UPNvSpoJRQIrncqvFHn96ftEYbNMvXmXr_KmhAOuQ1gBD1mCTUuQUzvrIkaDDozCl9hQfOSxC0Mufvun1yvvLI=s0-d-e1-ft#http://f.chtah.com/s/0/2089528127/EVTIrefundexample.jpg[/font]
    What toll company?
    Im with eflow and havent received anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

What toll company?
    Im with eflow and havent received anything

Do you have a tag account?

Do you have a tag account?
    Yes, I have a tag account with eflow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yes, I have a tag account with eflow

Maybe they haven't got round to you yet.

I seldom use the toll roads, so a tag account would probably save me nothing, taking into account the fee to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

samih wrote: »
    UP: Just got an email from tolltag.ie saying that this is going ahead on 1st of July and whether I'd like to apply for it. Here is the information document:

Easytrip have said they've been notified of the start date of 1st July. They don't have a registration mechanism yet but promise refunds for any incorrect charges post the start date.

cros13 wrote: »
    Easytrip have said they've been notified of the start date of 1st July. They don't have a registration mechanism yet but promise refunds for any incorrect charges post the start date.

Interesting.....

I am going to contact them again. That is not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

samih wrote: »

Surprised it has come up so quick, I thought the government might have announced it another 5 times before actually introducing it.

• Advertisement

Surprised it has come up so quick, I thought the government might have announced it another 5 times before actually introducing it.

They forgot in between all the announcement for the upgrade of charger network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Shefwedfan wrote: »

That appears to be progressing slowly.

There was a recent RFT for a framework agreement to supply various AC and DC chargers (but only up to 50kW). Unfortunately because it was a framework we won't be able to see the details of the tenders that go into that framework without knowing they exist to place a FOI query.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Shefwedfan wrote: »

To be fair this is good news, and this is where the big effort should be. The current fast charger network which can have 3+ EVs queuing is pretty shocking considering there are only 4,500 EVs on the road. Imagine if there were 100,000.

It's nice that this toll lark has been put to one side, as the government got more mileage out of it than an Ioniq on the motorway, travelling at 135km/h (indicated).

Sarcasm is lost around these parts

Cheers lads for the heads up. All I had to do was mark my car as a full EV on the Park Magic website (tolltag.ie) and all refunds will be applied to my account from 01/07/2018.

No need for a new toll tag, which makes sense. Should have been completely free toll at all times for full EVs, but I'm not complaining with this result. Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Easytrip has sent an official notice out to members:

https://www.easytrip.ie/electric-vehicle-toll-incentive-scheme/

Existing members should call them on 1890 67 67 68 to register their EV.

Yeah I got email earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Same here. I just sent them an email to update my account as both cars are EV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

or Local Phone: 01-8613200 (IRL)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭micks_address

or Local Phone: 01-8613200 (IRL)

Would bmw 330e qualify for 70 percent reduction in tolls?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Advertisement