Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowdrops - not too late to divide up clumps (mid April).

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

A timely reminder. I just dug up and planted out some today that had seeded into the middle of the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

my3cents wrote: »
    Anyone with large clump of Snowdrops can divide them up if they want more in the garden, to improve flowering, or if they want to spread the love and give some away.

Don't ever bother with packets of Snowdrops bulbs they rarely do well after being dried out. Dividing them up "in the green" is the way to do it.

https://www.wikihow.com/Divide-Snowdrops

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-lift-and-divide-snowdrops/ .

Thanks. The link to the gardenersworld site also has a video about dividing primrose plants at this time of year and found one over the last few days that had got overgrown by a couple of shrubs so was no longer visible from anywhere other than just next to it. Took the advice of the video and divided it like they were saying so hoping I'll have a lot more primrose plants for next year. Good roots on most of the segments I broke off so hopeful it should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just a note on the Snowdrop division. If you really really want the maximum coverage and don't mind waiting a few years then what I do is divide two thirds of the clumps up into smaller clumps for flowing next year, then I take the last third and divide it up into individual plants/bulbs. I then plant the individual bulbs in a slit in the soil made with a trowel then place the trowel in the ground next to the slit and heave on it to close the slit up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A follow up here as dividing snowdrop clumps up has to be easiest propagation method going and from anytime from now on is a good time.

If you have clumps that are hidden by other plants then don't worry about them being in flower they will still split up and provide the bases for plenty of new clumps in better locations. However just for the sake of the display leave the ones that you can see that are looking good in flower till they have finished flowering.

No great skill is required, snowdrops are really tough.

All the clumps I split down and replanted as a few bulbs (3-4) last year are in flower this year and many of the single bulb spits are also flowering. I've spotted a couple of larger clumps I didn't split last year and they will get the same treatment this year.

If you don't have any snowdrops then one way to get a few is to find someone with a few in their garden and offer to split them up for them in return for a few bulbs :)

Advertisement