Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ordinary - recommendations

Options
  • 16-04-2018 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I'd heard a bit about the ordinary so had a look on cloud 10 the other day - the prices look great. Just wondering though has anyone tried the products and if so what would you recommend or not recommend? My main concern would be dehydration (and lines caused by it due to being outdoors a lot) . I have good products for most things and use hydraluron which is very good but also quite pricey so I am wondering would any of these products do a similar job for a better price. From doing a bit of online reasearch i was looking at the niacinamide and the hylauronic acid products but reviews / feedback from anyone who has actually used the products would be a big help thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

I use 3 products from the Ordinary and really like all 3 - the glycolic solution, the rosehip oil and the natural moisturising factors one. Absolutely love the glycolic toner, would recommend that the most out of all 3. Like you said the prices are so good that it's not too much of an impact if you try something and end up not liking it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

thank you. Thats what I am thinking - if something doesnt suit its not a big loss financially

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

thank you. Thats what I am thinking - if something doesnt suit its not a big loss financially

Exactly :) I think their website is one of the most informative I've ever been on too - goes really in depth into the ingredients and where products fit into the routine. Good tool for figuring out what to buy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm currently using these three and like all of them:
    The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane
    The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone
    The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2%

I also like niacinamide. I used hyluronic acid once and found it pretty terrible, I like this one instead:

https://www.beautyexpert.com/la-roche-posay-hydraphase-intense-rich-50ml/11091830.html

Buffet is rubbish too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I love the retinoid 2% and the Lactic acid 5%. I've a sample of the AHA /BHA acid treatment that I'm enjoying too.

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    I love the retinoid 2% and the Lactic acid 5%. I've a sample of the AHA /BHA acid treatment that I'm enjoying too.
    How did you get the sample

bluewolf wrote: »
    GingerLily wrote: »
    How did you get the sample

In Arnotts, they put a small amount in one of those foundation sample things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

The peel is brilliant.

I didn't like the hylaronic acid, it took forever to soak in and any products I used after pilled.

The glycolic toner is fab. A fraction of the cost of the pixi glow tonic and better imo

I didnt cop they were in arnotts, i must wander down and pick some up.
    Between red and sensitive skin, i think the niamicide and glycolic would be a good plan

I didnt cop they were in arnotts, i must wander down and pick some up.
    Between red and sensitive skin, i think the niamicide and glycolic would be a good plan

They have testers there so you can get idea of the scent/texture! The prices are about the same as most of the reselling companies (the deciem site is obviously the cheapest).

• Advertisement

This niaciamide stuff seems to be sold out everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I love their products - was in the Covent Garden store in London a few weeks ago and was like a child in a sweet shop.

I have been using their products for about 6 months now and my skin is the best its ever been despite been in my forties.

I use their Salicylic Acid, Lactic acid 10%, Vit C 23% with HA, Niacanimide +Zinc, Hyaluronic acid, Buffet 2% Retinol in emulsion, Roship oil (way better than triolgy version IMO.

Obviously these are very strong products so you need SPF 50 all year around and don't use everything at once and you can ask DECIEM themselves for a AM/PM regime if you give them your main skin concerns.

The only product I wasn't mad about was the Salicylic acid as i found it a bit sticky and much prefer the Paula's Choice lotion version.

I have also being using products from DECIEM's slightly pricier NIOD range including their cleanser Sankrits Saponins and CAIS - cooper amino isolate serum and I really feel it has given my skin a real lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Is there a primer (if you'll excuse the pun) on what one should prioritise? I keep reading about The Ordinary, and it is double dutch to me. I'm in my 40s and the routine I have at the moment seems to suit me - but I can't help feeling I'm missing out. I'm definitely allergic to facials. Not physically, I just mean I can't bear lying down for so long & making conversation. Do they do consults in Arnotts?

Is there a primer (if you'll excuse the pun) on what one should prioritise? I keep reading about The Ordinary, and it is double dutch to me. I'm in my 40s and the routine I have at the moment seems to suit me - but I can't help feeling I'm missing out. I'm definitely allergic to facials. Not physically, I just mean I can't bear lying down for so long & making conversation. Do they do consults in Arnotts?

Its just on the shelf, they don't have a counter so I wouldn't expect much help from staff. Have you gone to their site and looked for their recommendations?

I ended up ordering on the deciem site (and hoping I dont get stung by customs? didnt realise it was a us sute until after). 
    I tried cloud ten as its irish but it seemed to be out of stock of most things I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

It's shipped from the UK so there shouldn't be any customs issues :)

From the uk really?? That's good to know. I ordered too but it was less than 22 quid so under the threshold

oh thats good news I didnt realise it was from the UK

The best route would be to contact the DECIEM consultants through the DECIEM site and give them your skin type and main skin concerns and they will outline a day and night regime focusing on them concerns recommending products from the range. They really don’t do the hard sell on customers and are happy to incorporate them into your existing products if you name them.

A problem some people have is because it so reasonably priced, they go mad and buy everything and start applying it at same time which is too much for the skin and breaks the skin moisture barrier. These are active products and many are very strong so really only one at a time every few days with plenty of moisturizer so at least if you do breakout, you can identify what product is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I was going to order online but hadn't a clue what to purchase. I called into Arnotts today and the shelves were practically bare. Spoke to a really nice assistant who said they cannot keep the shelves filled. I was hoping to get the heads up from her but no luck there.
    I need hydration/cleansing/serum/something deep cleansing or exfoliating once a week or so. Any suggestions ?

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    I was going to order online but hadn't a clue what to purchase. I called into Arnotts today and the shelves were practically bare. Spoke to a really nice assistant who said they cannot keep the shelves filled. I was hoping to get the heads up from her but no luck there.
    I need hydration/cleansing/serum/something deep cleansing or exfoliating once a week or so. Any suggestions ?
    What's your skin type and any concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

What's your skin type and any concerns

I've combination skin with an oily t zone and need hydration elsewhere. Slight redness over my nose that I normally use concealer on. Usual middle aged 'melting face' problems

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

lubie76 wrote: »
    I love their products - was in the Covent Garden store in London a few weeks ago and was like a child in a sweet shop.

I have been using their products for about 6 months now and my skin is the best its ever been despite been in my forties.

I use their Salicylic Acid, Lactic acid 10%, Vit C 23% with HA, Niacanimide +Zinc, Hyaluronic acid, Buffet 2% Retinol in emulsion, Roship oil (way better than triolgy version IMO.

Obviously these are very strong products so you need SPF 50 all year around and don't use everything at once and you can ask DECIEM themselves for a AM/PM regime if you give them your main skin concerns.

The only product I wasn't mad about was the Salicylic acid as i found it a bit sticky and much prefer the Paula's Choice lotion version.

I have also being using products from DECIEM's slightly pricier NIOD range including their cleanser Sankrits Saponins and CAIS - cooper amino isolate serum and I really feel it has given my skin a real lift.

@lubie76 - I'd be really interested in what way you use these products (your daily routine AM & PM )?

Also - I have blackheads, and large pores, that is primarily what I would love to focus on reducing ! If anyone knows the best item for this? -- Is it the niacinamide?

@lubie76 - I'd be really interested in what way you use these products (your daily routine AM & PM )?

Also - I have blackheads, and large pores, that is primarily what I would love to focus on reducing ! If anyone knows the best item for this? -- Is it the niacinamide?

No problem, my skin type isn’t unlike yours so can show you example if my regime but as I said previously, I would add the active products (acids and retinols) very gradually as it can be very harsh and make sure you are using spf50 every day or you will really damage skin.

AM.
    1.Cleanser (I use saponins Sanskrit but not too important for AM cleanse)
    2. CAIS 2 (serum)
    3.BHA Salycylic acid ( I prefer paula’s choice lotion than the ordinary as it can be used like toner all over but some people use ordinary one just as a spot treatment)
    4. nicanimide + zinc
    5. hyaluronic acid on damp skin
    6. Natural moisturizing factor
    7. SPF 50

PM
    1. Double cleanse (need it to remove makeup and spf)
    2. BHA
    3. Buffet (serum)
    4. Alternate every night between lactic acid 10%/ Vit C 23%/ 2% Retinol emulsion
    5. Rosehip oil and natural moisture factor

I also use bha/aha peel mask once a week for 10 mins- scary looking red mask that stings like hell but face is smooth as a baby bottom afterwards. No other actives after mask just oil and moisturiser

I know above seems like a lot of steps but I introduced products slowly and it really does work for my skin. Takes me 5-6 mins am and pm as I leave a minute between layers so I potter about doing other things.

The most expensive ordinary product is buffet serum at 12 euro, everything else 5-7 euro and all last forever. While TO products worked really well, I do find the paula’s choice bha better and have also upgraded to DECIEMS slightly pricier range for certain things (NIOD CAIS) just because I’m slightly addicted now that my skin looks so much better so want to try every single thing :-)

My skin is now normal or I suppose balanced is a better description whereas it used to be oily combination with hormonal acne. Don’t get acne at all and It has also faded old acne marks and lightened pigmentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bosupe

Does anyone know where to get The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% PEELING SOLUTION? It seems to be out of stock everywhere I look. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Bosupe wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to get The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% PEELING SOLUTION? It seems to be out of stock everywhere I look. Thanks.

You can order it direct from Deciem with 23 percent off for the month of November (excluding Black Friday when they shut down the website for a day).

https://theordinary.deciem.com/product/rdn-aha-30pct-bha-2pct-peeling-solution-30ml?redir=1

Advertisement