Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabling door contact

Options
  • 16-04-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I am knocking down my shed which has an alarm contact on the door which is connected back to the house alarm.

I'm struggling to find where the cable leaves the house to the shed, is there a way I can disable the sensor by joining wires together so the alarm thinks its closed? I dont have the engineering code for my alarm so can't disable the zone.

Link to type of sensor on door:
    https://www.alarmgrid.com/products/honeywell-958

It appears to be wired to a little box with two holes in it where the alarm cable goes into.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trickybicky

Here is a picture of the box I am talking about that the contact runs into.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

The second pic is an internal sounder. Since you cant find any cables going out of the shed.....Is there a chance that your shed is not hooked up to your house alarm at all?... have you ever triggered your house alarm by opening the shed door when the alarm is set.
    It could be that the shed door is set up to set that internal sounder (the box in your pic) off if the door is open... and that is it?

Edit: to answer your question though, As you're dismantling everything, if you simply keep the 2 sides of the contact in close proximity (as you would when the door is closed) it shouldn't trigger anything. There's only a wire giong in to one side of it. No need to go playing with wires then. ps: apologies in advance to mods if this constitutes giving advice on compromising/disabling a system.

Thanks for replying.

Definitely connected to main alarm, when the shed door is open the main alarm wont set.

Is the best option to get the engineer code, disable the zone and then I can just cut the cable?

Otherwise I might have to get someone in to take a look at it, as the shed won't exist I can't leave the two contacts buried in the ground

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The internal siren can be disconnected just ensure to cut back the cable cores one at a time to prevent blowing a fuse.
    That mental contact must be going to a junction box. Can you open that & post a picture.

Thanks for responding

See picture attached, lot more wires than I expected!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not as bad as it looks.
    When you disconnect the contact & the internal you are just left with a 6 core.
    Red & black look like the internal. Cut them separately & keep them separated.
    They try one of those resistors across the green & white & join the blue & yellow together & see what shows on the alarm..

Thanks, will try that later today and let you know how I get on.

Got it to work with the resistor thanks.

The cable went back to another junction box which had an 8 core cable. I wired the resistor up to this and the alarm still sets so thank you for your help.

Good stuff. Glad you got it sorted.

I think I’ve found the cable inside the house now. I would prefer if I could do the job from inside the house.

Is there a way to trace the cable to make sure I’ve the right one??

The alarm cable out in the shed is a black cable which looks like it’s heavy duty for external use.

I’ve found the same type of cable inside at the same point the electricity for the shed is connected to the house so I am assuming it’s the alarm cable as it enters the shed at the same point.

• Advertisement

Probably is.
    Disconnect he pair that the resistor is on & see if the zone opens.
    If so move the resistor into that point.

Thanks, there was another connector block behind the wall inside the house where the external alarm cable was connected to a white normal alarm cable.

I was able to put the resistor there and all worked.

Thanks again for help!

Advertisement