Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domain Registration

• 16-04-2018 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭

While researching useful website names, I find that a large company does not have an ie domain registered for one of their upcoming products. They would own the trademark.
    Is it against the law to buy up such a domain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

mickdw wrote: »
    While researching useful website names, I find that a large company does not have an ie domain registered for one of their upcoming products. They would own the trademark.
    Is it against the law to buy up such a domain?

Short version: yes - don't do it.

Longer version: it's essentially called cybersquatting - assuming that the name is original and unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 markpower

Hi,

I have a .ie domain and looking to purchase the .co.uk version - I noticed a couple of months ago that the domain was already bought but not in use. I was not in a hurry for it so only getting back to it now. I knew it was up for renewal around now, hence my return. I've checked today and it has that the domain has been "suspended" and the renewal date for it was 7/1/2019. For some reason, all the domain sites still say that the domain is owned. How do I go about getting this domain?

I'm an Irish company that may set up operations in the UK.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

markpower wrote: »
    I've checked today and it has that the domain has been "suspended" and the renewal date for it was 7/1/2019. For some reason, all the domain sites still say that the domain is owned. How do I go about getting this domain?

The domain life cycle means that the previous registrant (owner or holder) has the ability to get the domain name back.

There are a few companies that off a "drop catch" service, though the pricing will vary from around 75 Sterling upwards.

If the name is very "specific" it might just expire completely and become available for registration

As it hasn't fully expired and been deleted you currently can't register it

Hope that makes sense

Michele

Advertisement