Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union - Explain to me as if I was a 5 year old

• 16-04-2018 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,
    I'm not familiar with the "Credit Union" concept. I understand they provide small loans and they operate somehow like a club...
    But can you open a savings account as you do with any bank?
    I need to move my kids' savings from RaboDirect and I'm considering the available options but unsure what return I get from Credit Union...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I got 0.5% on my savings last year. And then paid 39% DIRT on that.

But if you have a loan, my CU gave back 10% of the interest you paid.

All CUs are different but I wouldn't imagine there'd be a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PresidentMike

Wheety wrote: »
    I got 0.5% on my savings last year.
    Will this be the same in all CUs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Will this be the same in all CUs?

No. You should be able to find your local one or one through your job and on their website they have probably published their annual report for 2017. You'll find the details there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Yes, you can open a savings account like with a bank. You must be part of the 'common bond', ie live or work in a particular area. Most have online banking, and some have ATM cards.

The interest on savings tends to be low, but there are advantages such as easier availability of loans (subject to keeping some money on deposit), loan and savings insurance, no penalty for paying off loans early etc.

I save with them as I like the idea of co-operative banking.

Advertisement