Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public IP with MBB accounts

Options
  • 16-04-2018 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I've had an MBB contract for some time and have recently installed IP cameras for home security.

However, I believe that I will not be able to connect to them from the Internet as it stands with my MBB router because I think that the network uses private IP addresses even for MBB devices. For info I use a Huawei 315 router but that makes no difference to this issue.

@eir what can I do? Is inbound traffic possible with eir MBB?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

E39MSport wrote: »
    Hello,
    I've had an MBB contract for some time and have recently installed IP cameras for home security.

However, I believe that I will not be able to connect to them from the Internet as it stands with my MBB router because I think that the network uses private IP addresses even for MBB devices. For info I use a Huawei 315 router but that makes no difference to this issue.

@eir what can I do? Is inbound traffic possible with eir MBB?

Thank you.
    Hi E39MSport ,

Thanks for getting in contact with us here.

We only supply Dynamic IP addresses, and as far as I am aware for CCTV you need a static IP address.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Thanks

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Hi,

Thanks for getting back.

I understand that the IP address is dynamic.

What I specifically want to know is whether the IP address assigned to the device is public (can a remote connection get to my router using that address)
    OR
    Is it a private address within the eir network and not contactable outside the eir network??

I am pretty sure that its the latter. Google tells me that my public facing IP address is different to that assigned to me.

I want to know whether there are any solutions to this dilemma provided by yourselves.

Could you please contact a technical expert to verify.

Thank you.
    Hi E39MSport ,

We only supply Dynamic IP addresses, and as far as I am aware for CCTV you need a static IP address.

Thanks

Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

E39MSport wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back.

I understand that the IP address is dynamic.

What I specifically want to know is whether the IP address assigned to the device is public (can a remote connection get to my router using that address)
    OR
    Is it a private address within the eir network and not contactable outside the eir network??

I am pretty sure that its the latter. Google tells me that my public facing IP address is different to that assigned to me.

I want to know whether there are any solutions to this dilemma provided by yourselves.

Could you please contact a technical expert to verify.

Thank you.
    Hi E39MSport ,

Thanks

Thomas
    I've queried this with our technical team, as soon as I hear back I'll come back to you.

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement