Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Traffic

• 16-04-2018 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Has anybody noticed the latest messup in pedestrian crossings in Limerick.

Travelling dowin Roches Street towards Catherine street , there are new pedestrian (Zebra) crossings on both sides of the junction.

The crazy setup is, there is a yellow box also at the junction joining the zebra crossing.
    If traffic crossing the junction is in the yellow box and, a pedestrian steps out onto the crossing, the driver has to break the law.

1 If you stop for the crossing you are stopped in a yellow box breaking one law .

2 If you do not stop in the box, you are likely to kill a pedestrian who has right off way, breaking another law.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed the latest messup in pedestrian crossings in Limerick.

Travelling dowin Roches Street towards Catherine street , there are new pedestrian (Zebra) crossings on both sides of the junction.

The crazy setup is, there is a yellow box also at the junction joining the zebra crossing.
    If traffic crossing the junction is in the yellow box and, a pedestrian steps out onto the crossing, the driver has to break the law.

1 If you stop for the crossing you are stopped in a yellow box breaking one law .

2 If you do not stop in the box, you are likely to kill a pedestrian who has right off way, breaking another law.

I see your point but I think you’ll be alright to stop for 20 seconds to let a pedestrian cross. It’s moreso to stop people blocking the intersection when the traffic lights are red by the Chicken Hut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Thats ok with one pedestrian but, you can sometimes have a "slow train " across.

It does seem as if Limk Corpo haven't a clue about traffic management .
    If this crossing was placed at least two car lenghts further down it would solve the problem.
    Another mosplaced crossing is at the shannon bridge.
    There is a natural tendency to speed up and get clear leaving a roundabout but, here you have another misplaced crossing.
    Choice, be rearended as happened numerous people or again hit a pedestrian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Students in UL painted their own up from groody, away from the roundabout. The council didn't like that so placed one on the roundabout instead.

Council's know best I guess. They also placed a speed ramp on the plassey road, is it the plassey road, at the crossing but didn't put any signs so the first day I hit it was a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Berty wrote: »
    Students in UL painted their own up from groody, away from the roundabout.

The council didn't like that so placed one on the roundabout instead.

Council's know best I guess.

Berty, “the County Council knew best” . . . get a grip of yourself man.:p

It’s hard to imagine that the then County Council first gave planning permission for thousands of student accommodations on the Ballysimon side of the Groody roundabout and around the same time they also constructed a link road that would connect up with the Tipperary road (M7 / M20 traffic) before realising that they needed a pedestrian crossing for the students when on their way to the University.
    448411.jpg

Council to remove false crossing (Irish Times)

Friday April 13th 2007

Limerick County Council has taken steps to remove an unofficial pedestrian crossing that was painted on to one of the country's busiest roads by a group of college students.

A senior local authority figure yesterday described the action taken by the University of Limerick (UL) students at the Groody roundabout in Limerick as "very immature and potentially quite dangerous". A team of 15 students were involved in painting the "zebra" crossing at the roundabout which is located on the outskirts of the city on the main Limerick to Dublin road, late last Wednesday night.

The roundabout in question has no pedestrian crossing despite several requests to the council, according to UL Student Union president St John Ó Donnabháin.

Thousands of students living beyond the Groody roundabout make the daily journey to and from the college across this road, he added.

• Advertisement

Thats ok with one pedestrian but, you can sometimes have a "slow train " across.

It does seem as if Limk Corpo haven't a clue about traffic management .
    If this crossing was placed at least two car lenghts further down it would solve the problem.
    Another mosplaced crossing is at the shannon bridge.
    There is a natural tendency to speed up and get clear leaving a roundabout but, here you have another misplaced crossing.
    Choice, be rearended as happened numerous people or again hit a pedestrian.

Cars should not be driving those roundabouts at speeds where they can't stop and shouldn't be accelerating off the roundabout at an unsafe speed, and especially where there's a pedestrian crossing. I have zero sympathy for anyone driving towards a pedestrian crossing so fast that they can't safely stop.

Also, if you moved the pedestrian crossing away from the roundabout you'd actually make it more dangerous for drivers and pedestrians as the cars would be going much faster. It's actually anti-driver to suggest putting them further down the road, causing a second place for the driver to have to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Cars should not be driving those roundabouts at speeds where they can't stop and shouldn't be accelerating off the roundabout at an unsafe speed, and especially where there's a pedestrian crossing. I have zero sympathy for anyone driving towards a pedestrian crossing so fast that they can't safely stop.

Also, if you moved the pedestrian crossing away from the roundabout you'd actually make it more dangerous for drivers and pedestrians as the cars would be going much faster. It's actually anti-driver to suggest putting them further down the road, causing a second place for the driver to have to stop.

I am not saying they travel at speed for speedings sake but, there is a natural tendency to get off a roundabout as quick as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I am not saying they travel at speed for speedings sake but, there is a natural tendency to get off a roundabout as quick as possible.

I use the bridge every day. I'm aware of the pedestrian crossings, therefore I watch the footpaths as I approach the crossing rather than speed up. It's not that difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

jacksie66 wrote: »
    And they need to do something about William Street. Pretty much only 1 lane now..

It should only be one lane, with a segregated cycle lanes and a bus lane according to the regulations. Unfortunately, the work was done before the regs were issued in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Oh and the traffic lights dont even get me started.

• Advertisement

Stab*City wrote: »
    Oh and the traffic lights dont even get me started.

There's not enough of them, and the ones that we have give far too much priority to vehicles over pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

zulutango wrote: »
    There's not enough of them, and the ones that we have give far too much priority to vehicles over pedestrians.

The ones on Upper William Street by all the closed down banks(can't think of what business are there now). If you're on Lower Gerald Griffin street waiting on a green in traffic you will notice that the pedestrian lights go red crossing between the PTSB and AIB(of previous) and the Gerald Griffin go Green for Traffic.

That pedestrian light should stay green and not go red as nobody can turn right and go down william street anyway.

Yet another Quirk in the traffic lights around town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I'd completely disagree with that and I drive through the city 3 times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I can't even think where else you would fit in another set of traffic lights :confused: they all over town and not co-ordinated.

I can't even think where else you would fit in another set of traffic lights :confused: they all over town and not co-ordinated.

You should look more closely. Most of the junctions in the city centre don't have traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Would it not make sense at the Groody to build some kind of walkover, like the ones you see in the UK a lot, and in parts of Dublin, so pedestrians could walk over the traffic. It would be a lot safer no?

A flyover would greatly inconvenience pedestrians, cyclists and people with disabilities. It would also cost a lot of money. The better solution would be to remove the roundabout and put in a controlled junction. This is actually planned I think but hasn't happened yet.

You should look more closely. Most of the junctions in the city centre don't have traffic lights.

but which junctions actually require a set of lights ? Possibly add one or maybe a pedestrian crossing at O'Connell St/Cecil street but as a motorist/cyclist and pedestrian in the city centre many times a week, I don't really see the need for any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

but which junctions actually require a set of lights ? Possibly add one or maybe a pedestrian crossing at O'Connell St/Cecil street but as a motorist/cyclist and pedestrian in the city centre many times a week, I don't really see the need for any more

Glentworth and Catherine St, Cecil St and Catherine St :)

A lot of people dont know the rules of the road on those two junctions

Because O'Connell Street and Mallow Street are currently key traffic routes that are also pedestrian heavy, then the following junctions merit traffic lights or pedestrian crossings.

Barrington Street and O'Connell Street
    Hartstonge Street and O'Connell Street
    Glentworth Street and O'Connell Street
    Cecil Street and O'Connell Street

Mallow Street and Pery Square
    Mallow Street and Catherine Street
    Mallow Street and Dock Road (remove roundabout)

• Advertisement

Your anti-car agenda is getting fairly tiresome zulutango

Can we discuss the issues instead of resorting to ad hominem comments. I have no anti-car agenda. I am a motorist myself and regularly drive in the city.

I'm discussing the issues at hand. You're suggesting that we put 4 more sets of traffic lights on the main road through the city, which some people have no choice but to use to get to and from work.

The traffic lights in Limerick aren't coordinated so you're essentially adding 15 minutes extra to get up the road and through town.

And for what? Pedestrians in Limerick don't even pay attention to traffic lights. They cross the road when they see a gap, and sometimes when they don't.

You absolutely do have an anti-car agenda as can be seen in most of your posts on here. That's absolutely relevant when considering your suggestion above.

Sorry, John, I don't have an anti-car agenda. I could say you have an anti-pedestrian agenda, but it's a stupid thing to say, so I won't.

The traffic lights in Limerick are co-ordinated by the way.

Sorry, John, I don't have an anti-car agenda. I could say you have an anti-pedestrian agenda, but it's a stupid thing to say, so I won't.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Limerick traffic lights are not coordinated as far as I know. If they are, they are deliberately coordinated to impede traffic and ensure it takes as long as possible to get through town.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Glentworth and Catherine St, Cecil St and Catherine St :)

A lot of people dont know the rules of the road on those two junctions

leaving those juctions aside, alot of people don't know the rules of the road. If they did, traffic flow in Limerick would be much more efficient - no double parking, no flashers parking, no running red lights, no intimidating other traffic users.

there is absolutely no need to put traffic lights at every single junction in the city centre. There is never so much traffic that you cannot easily negotiate any of the Mallow Street/O'Connell Street junctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

I had the poor misfortune of nearly getting knocked down while crossing these pedestrian crossings on Roches Street on Saturday. The car on the first lane stopped but car on the right lane literally drove on, don't think she even seen me as she was looking down , I perume at her phone. The tyre of the car touched the the front of my runners it was that close.
    Be careful crossing guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

John_Mc wrote: »
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Limerick traffic lights are not coordinated as far as I know. If they are, they are deliberately coordinated to impede traffic and ensure it takes as long as possible to get through town.

Thats to get people to use the tunnel and not use town as a rat run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Cordell

Which ones?
    Most of them are indeed traffic sensitive, but that does not mean coordinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

leaving those juctions aside, alot of people don't know the rules of the road. If they did, traffic flow in Limerick would be much more efficient - no double parking, no flashers parking, no running red lights, no intimidating other traffic users.

there is absolutely no need to put traffic lights at every single junction in the city centre. There is never so much traffic that you cannot easily negotiate any of the Mallow Street/O'Connell Street junctions.

On this, I always thought drivers were bad when I lived in Dublin and Cork but Limerick is on another level.

As d'Unbelievables would say the abandonment of cars around the place is mind-boggling. I feel I have yet to drive past a junction where someone without right of way hasn't driven 20 feet over the line without stopping. U-turns everywhere. People turning right into oncoming traffic wantonly pulling into and blocking the other lane while trying to force their way in. On O'Connell street on Saturday some prick in a black half-jeep thing (the mortification of it) came absolutely flying through the lights at the junction with Sarsfield Street long after not only the lights had gone red, but the green man had been up several seconds.

There's a lack of care on the roads here in Limerick you won't find anywhere else this side of Delhi. I don't think pedestrians here are any worse than they are anywhere else in Ireland.

Advertisement