Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previous employer refusing to give reference

Options
  • 16-04-2018 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have found myself a new job, after going through 4 stages of interviews but now a previous employer is blanking my calls, texts, Facebook messages and emails from the company which offered me the role.

Basically the company do a very thorough background check and without this reference I will not get the job.

It would have been myself and the boss on the old job which I left 2 years ago due to the company not making money. I had a great relationship with her and done very well in the role which baffles me. Its just pure laziness.

I may lose a job because of this. Is there anything I can do to get the reference by the deadline. I have thought of going to a solicitor over this as it will directly cause me to lose out on financial security.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ring her?

is it a character reference you're after or just confirmation that you worked there as X between dates Y & Z?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Have you tried phoning rather than texting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

I have called and got the usual "I'm in the middle of something and will call you back", about 10 times over the past week.

Its just I have worked there reference. It would take about 2 minutes to do but her procrastination is one of the main reasons the business failed but it seeps into all aspects if her life.

How's about you get off your social media and be an adult about it, i.e. call in to the office and speak to her like an adult in person? Remember that old-fashioned way when people weren't zombies looking at a screen?
    Also be very clear, they have no obligation to give you a reference. They do have the requirement to say "Person A worked here from Date 1 to Date 2" and that is where their responsibility ends.

If you bothered to read all of the OP you would noticed that the business is now closed so there is no office. I have called, emailed, text and Facebook messaged, so have the company which gave me the offer tried to contact her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

piplip87 wrote: »
    If you bothered to read all of the OP you would noticed that the business is now closed so there is no office. I have called, emailed, text and Facebook messaged, so have the company which gave me the offer tried to contact her.

Oh yeah sorry missed that, apologies! Did you ask the person before you left if you could put them down as a reference? Otherwise, could you tell new employer that all attempts to contact the previous owner has failed and there is nothing you can do? Surely it can be easily explained away.

Is there anybody else who could give you a reference? I.e. anybody else who you worked with while you were there, etc? Bear in mind, their only obligation is to tell them Date 1 to Date 2 you were employed there.

If a company is so anal about references, it might just be a slight insight into what working there could be like.....I have first hand experience of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

How's about you get off your social media and be an adult about it, i.e. call in to the office and speak to her like an adult in person? Remember that old-fashioned way when people weren't zombies looking at a screen? Also be very clear, they have no obligation to give you a reference. They do have the requirement to say "Person A worked here from Date 1 to Date 2" and that is where their responsibility ends.

Good job re the condescending tone. Your cheque is on the way to your ivory tower as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Do you know where shes working that maybe you could call on her?

Oh yeah sorry missed that, apologies! Did you ask the person before you left if you could put them down as a reference? Otherwise, could you tell new employer that all attempts to contact the previous owner has failed and there is nothing you can do? Surely it can be easily explained away.

Is there anybody else who could give you a reference? I.e. anybody else who you worked with while you were there, etc? Bear in mind, their only obligation is to tell them Date 1 to Date 2 you were employed there.

If a company is so anal about references, it might just be a slight insight into what working there could be like.....I have first hand experience of this.

Yes the company is fecking mental about references. Anti Terrorism screening, Garda Clearance, Credit Check, 3 work place references and 2 character references.

After been unemployed for a period of time I don't really care what its like tbh.

I have got sorted eventually. She had a death in the family and sent it over there now.

Kinda feel ****ty having a moan now.

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

To be fair the ok didn't say anything about calls until you edited it.

All you can do really is keep calling her or explain to the new employer that the business has ceased trading. Do you have payslips to show the length of time you were there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I may lose a job because of this. Is there anything I can do to get the reference by the deadline. I have thought of going to a solicitor over this as it will directly cause me to lose out on financial security.

While it is bad form on the part of your previous employer, employers are under no legal obligation to provide a reference. Many employers limit references to confirmation of starting and end date of employment and make no reference as to the ability/personality of the employee. So a solicitor will not be able to do anything nor will your previous employer be in any way responsible for you not getting the job/loss of earnings.

See "Entitlement to a Reference" section:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/starting_work_and_changing_job/changing_job/giving_notice.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yes the company is fecking mental about references. Anti Terrorism screening, Garda Clearance, Credit Check, 3 work place references and 2 character references.

After been unemployed for a period of time I don't really care what its like tbh.

I have got sorted eventually. She had a death in the family and sent it over there now.

Kinda feel ****ty having a moan now.

Thanks lads.

Is that in financial services? I had a company check all my references going into financial services controlled function it was a nightmare.

Had an old boss agree to be a reference for me as she knew I was looking at new jobs. By the time I made the move she had also moved and I couldn't get hold of her. No social media, no anything. And I couldn't get her mobile anywhere. Just an office number and a defunct email address.
    Got my sister to pretend to be her in the end as I then said I've tracked this references mobile number down......wasnt getting the job without it. Close call it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Is that in financial services? I had a company check all my references going into financial services controlled function it was a nightmare.

Had an old boss agree to be a reference for me as she knew I was looking at new jobs. By the time I made the move she had also moved and I couldn't get hold of her. No social media, no anything. And I couldn't get her mobile anywhere. Just an office number and a defunct email address.
    Got my sister to pretend to be her in the end as I then said I've tracked this references mobile number down......wasnt getting the job without it. Close call it was.

Faking a reference to get a job is probably not the sort of thing you should make public?

It's not a job i am in now and I'm using a username not my own name. Don't think I'll be caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's quite common for companies not to give out personal references other than reference statements so it shouldn't cause you to lose out. I've had trouble in the past getting them, but a reference statement always sufficed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If all they're looking for is confirmation that you worked there during the period you say you did, ask them if copies of your P60 from those years would suffice, as that would have the employer name on it.

Still nothing from here even though she stated she would send it.

Have provided other referees but because my background was labouring, bar work etc they will not accept them as they have to come from a company email address.

As for verifying employment with payslips etc it was a job bridge placement for the 9 months and I left after the nine months as the company wasn't making enough to keep me on.

Its looking like the offer of employment will be withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

It's pretty ****ty of your new employer to let you slip by, you gave a genuine reference and it's not your fault the old boss is being flakey. I'd understand if she formally declined to provide one, but if she's not contactable what are you supposed to do? I've no idea if any of my previous references have changed jobs or numbers at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Have provided other referees but because my background was labouring, bar work etc they will not accept them as they have to come from a company email address.

As for verifying employment with payslips etc it was a job bridge placement for the 9 months and I left after the nine months as the company wasn't making enough to keep me on.

If they are just looking for a i was here letter. You could try calling revenue or droping into a public office and see if they can provide you with a confirmation of your employments with the various companies.
    Would who ever arranged the job bridge do either?

Plus if the other employers are still trading I would suggest that you see if they would provide a written letter on company letterhead ( see https://www.cro.ie/Registration/Company/Incidental-Obligations/Letterheads) just confirming the dates and/or do a character reference (to make it easy you can write a version on a blank sheet of paper). Get these PDF'ed and explain they are small organisations but can be reached by phone.

That's why I had to resort to a bit of creativity. No way was I missing out on a job for a referee being flaky.
    Sure they can kick you out of a job in the morning if you aren't working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

That's why I had to resort to a bit of creativity. No way was I missing out on a job for a referee being flaky.
    Sure they can kick you out of a job in the morning if you aren't working out.

If they are that strict on references it would be gross misconduct (guilty and dont let the door....) even if discovered years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Appledreams15

Tell her you will lose the job unless reference is provided by x day. If she is flaky keep at her

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I bit the bullet and got in touch with the recruiter from the new job.

During the 3 stage interview process the lady who called me and set everything up was never present. I did however ask at reception the first day and went to personally thank her for all her help after each stage.

I explained to her what happened and that I have other referees but that they are small self employed builders s no official email addresses.
    Basically she said not to worry, it happens quite often.

Found out today as well that the reference checking is been carried out by their Indian offices. They can be fairly strict but the final decision will rest with the Irish team. So hopefully they will accept references from other employers.

Advertisement