Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couriers (Fastway), eircode and street names

• 16-04-2018 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd relate this tale which happened in the last few days.

On Friday early morning a Fastway courier tried to do a drop at my home address, I was not expected anything and I was not in - so it went next door who dropped it round at which point I saw the package was addressed to someone with a quite different name at an address which shares the same first line - same number, same road name. Obviously this was no use to me so I got in touch their local office in New Ross who said it would be picked up Friday lunchtime-ish but it was not picked up at all (the courier may well just have had too much on to come back to me which happens). So I had someone elses stuff sat in the hall over the weekend. Was at work today so rather than leave it at home I thought I'd take it too work and leave it at reception for pickup.

I emailed the New Ross office contact to let her know but no acknowledgement came back. Anyway turned out a Fastway courier was doing a pickup at my workplace this afternoon and they took the package. When I got home there was another "sorry I missed you" note on the mat (!). I have just contacted that number and hopefully it's now all done and dusted.

The package had a eircode number on it which if used would have got it to the right address first time so why are they not used? Is this courier thing generally, a Fastway thing or a thing for that particular driver I wonder. What's the point if they are not used?

Also finally I have to wonder why a location only a few KMs from me shares the same first address line - I'm in Waterford City the other location is in South Kilkenny about 200 metres inside the Kilkenny border (Ferrybank area). So surely someone at the time the place was built must have realised there was scope for confusion! Many people in South Kilkenny still use Waterford or via Waterford as part of their address for some reason.

(Also just to say the address label on the package did not include the Ferrybank name so someone also goofed up be it the fella who ordered the item or the company who shipped it out to him).

Anyone else had this sort of experience esp sharing an address?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Can't say I've any experience with getting someone else's mail or vice versa, but I do agree that couriers either don't use Eircodes, or don't use them correctly

I live on a terraced street where most of the properties are businesses, not houses, so we have no house number. Before Eircodes, I'd always expect calls from couriers looking for the right house, a problem I assumed that Eircodes would eliminate. But it seems not, as I still get calls asking for the right house. Not once have they ever showed up without asking which house I live in

Just a few weeks ago I had something delivered by a courier (Nightline, I think, but not sure), who said that they'd looked up my Eircode, but it only pointed him to the right row of houses, not the specific house

But if you look it up on the Eircode website, it clearly points to the right house, and clearly distinguishes between the different properties on the row. So he either didn't check properly, or whatever database he was using wasn't very detailed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Many people in South Kilkenny still use Waterford or via Waterford as part of their address for some reason.

People often use the county of their local post office as part of their address, to make sure that their incoming mail goes to the right postman. Sometimes the local post office is in a different county but if you use your own county in your address, mail destined for you could go to a post office 20-30 miles away and get delayed by a day or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

I've had deliveries from DPD and they said their system doesn't accept Eircodes so I'm left wondering what is the point of them.
    They may since have had software updates that do include them.
    Has anyone had a delivery and known that the eircode was used?
    Our local chinese takeaway has eircodes for deliveries....but the delivery driver doesn't use them and drives for hours calling every 20 minutes looking for more directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

tringle wrote: »
    I've had deliveries from DPD and they said their system doesn't accept Eircodes so I'm left wondering what is the point of them.
    Our local chinese takeaway has eircodes for deliveries....but the delivery driver doesn't use them and drives for hours calling every 20 minutes looking for more directions.

I find this odd as recently a DPD driver, on arriving without the usual phone call for directions, told me he used the eircode. UPS are certainly using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I find this odd as recently a DPD driver, on arriving without the usual phone call for directions, told me he used the eircode.

I think most DPD drivers are freelancers so they're probably using their own navigation gear. Or none.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

coylemj wrote: »
    I think most DPD drivers are freelancers so they're probably using their own navigation gear. Or none.

Correct.

I live in a remote rural area and had a few problems with them some time ago, but then I registered for their Parcelwizard service, since when there have been no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Fastway are the worst courier on the planet. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd nominate Nightline ahead of them for this rural area. Most Fastway deliveries get here - eventually. Nightline just never deliver. So much so that we will no longer buy from suppliers that we know use Nightline.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 IrelandWest Hillwalking

I'd nominate Nightline ahead of them for this rural area. Most Fastway deliveries get here - eventually. Nightline just never deliver. So much so that we will no longer buy from suppliers that we know use Nightline.

Totally agree. Similarly, Parcel Motel, owned by Nightline, is an absolute disaster. I wouldnt either trust either of them to deliver a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

They delivered a Samsung S9+ to me on Wednesday and just threw it across the wall on the grass... Luckily I was at home as it rained later. On Thursday the same driver threw a parcel across the wall on the Tarmac and it was for my neighbour up the road! I was not home early and it lashed rain so the box was soggy when I found it.

What would happen if someone had taken either parcel before I got home? Would I be liable for the price or Fastway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Hear hear!! Ordered clothing from the UK and after a week I was wondering where it was. Happened to be out putting something in my bottle bin yesterday evening (Sunday) at the side of my house and spotted a white bag on the ground. It was my delivery!! Bag soaking wet but contents were perfect. No idea how long it was there as the courier (Fastway) obviously just chucked it over the side gate. No card, mail or text to say he was coming or had been...

I was going to complain but realised that with that shower it is completely pointless...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

tringle wrote: »

The big couriers told the Department that they couldn’t use the Eir codes, but he went ahead anyway. An Post doesn’t or didn’t use them either. Complete waste of €38M by the looks of it. Add this on to the bill for th e-voting machines......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To self quote
    ED E wrote: »
    Calling Fastway a courier company is akin to calling a toddler with a wagon a taxi firm :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

My recent Amazon deliveries have been with An Post again, I hope Amazon will stop using these absolute cowboys Fastway and stick to An Post or anyother courier from here on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hmm I quite deliberately didn't express my opinion on Fastway as a company as I didn't want to infest the thread with comments about them but yes they are pretty damned terrible, quite why my work place uses them beats me unless they are very cheap indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

Doltanian wrote: »
    My recent Amazon deliveries have been with An Post again, I hope Amazon will stop using these absolute cowboys Fastway and stick to An Post or anyother courier from here on.

Our small deliveries are definitely with an post as is anything bought direct from Amazon, bigger things bought through Amazon but shipped by the vendor still.seem to be courier..I think, I will keep an eye out this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Recently got a package from amazon that came from fastway. Had been informed by amazon that my package was coming via an post so I wasn't at home for delivery. Driver left a mumbled message on my voice mail and by the time I figured out what it said, he had dropped off somewhere else. I rang him back he informed me that he had left at my house , which he hadn't and told me he'd be back with it later on. He handed me a soaking wet box and drove off at top speed. Still clueless as to where he'd left it because it certainly wasn't at my house.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It seems these couriers reliability varies a lot depending where in the country you are, or what depot is in charge.

Nightline seem very efficient in S. Donegal (I think depot is Sligo). Fastway was good, but a bit hit/miss at the moment. It's only the other day I noticed that Nightline is now owned by UPS, who are not great at all here. Maybe once things are merged properly (assuming that is the plan), services might generally improve for both...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD: It is starting to look suspiciously like you have a vested interest in this, grattanoh. Every post seems to be about this. Any more and I'll delete all your posts on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I had a bad experience with Parcel Connect which is also operated by Fastway. They lost my parcel, which left me out of pocket. If that wasn't bad enough, I then had to deal with the most incredibly incompetent customer service people I've ever encountered. It took months to get my money back from them and it was hard fought. They appear to operate on the basis that if you don't keep contacting them, you'll never see your money again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement