Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toddler opening car seat!

• 16-04-2018 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop a 2 and 5 month old from opening her car seat, she had been just taking her arms out but today she opened the bucke!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop a 2 and 5 month old from opening her car seat, she had been just taking her arms out but today she opened the bucke!!!!

If she can wriggle out of the straps when buckled in you should check if you can tighten the straps. You could also train her ( aka set her up) by going somewhere she really wants to go warn her if she unbuckles you go straight home, or she looses her toy etc. it's a bit hard as she is 2.5 and not yet fully understanding that no means no. If she has the physical strenght in her hands to unbuckle the strap you may need new car seat or cable ties and duck tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

People have recommended putting the spiky side of Velcro on the button in a Facebook group I’m in. She hopefully should find it sore to push so stop but you’d still be able to open it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Oh gosh, don’t use cable ties or duct tape. If there’s an accident, you want someone to be able to get her out in a hurry if they need to. The straps may need some adjustment.
    Some people find it useful to put some Velcro- the harder side on the buckle, so it makes pushing the button uncomfortable. You could also try a backwards coat over her arms. But she’ll probably be having none of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

jlm29 wrote: »
    Oh gosh, don’t use cable ties or duct tape. If there’s an accident, you want someone to be able to get her out in a hurry if they need to. The straps may need some adjustment.
    Some people find it useful to put some Velcro- the harder side on the buckle, so it makes pushing the button uncomfortable. You could also try a backwards coat over her arms. But she’ll probably be having none of that

Yes the cable tie and duck tape was a little facetious but if she has the physical strenght in her hands to open the buckle new car sear with a a different design of buckle is likely best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

My son used to do it but thankfully it was only a (very quick) passing phase.
    I know at the time people recommended the "Houdini strap" to me. It may be worth a look for your little one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'm sure I have seen a "guard' that you can buy to cover the buckle for sale online.If you do a bit of googling you will find it.We have a houdini strap but that's just for the arms.I don't love using it, but I find if you use it for a short time, they get the message quickly enough and give up on taking their arms out.It's the only one I could find that had undergone safety testing etc. but even at that I think it's an Australian product rather than European.Eventually I decided that on the balance of probabilities, it was safer to use it for a few weeks, than to have her with her arms out of the straps.

You can threaten to go home or whatever, but the problem is that you can't always go home, (if you are going to work or anything) and if you turn around and have a 30 min car journey home it kind of loses it's effectiveness for that age group.Same for removing toys etc....if it isn't instantaneous,it's kind of lost on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

What about mittens or something to make it harder?

5 months, that's impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

What about mittens or something to make it harder?

5 months, that's impressive!

I think she’s 2 years and 5 months :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I've used an ordinary bag clip .. the straight ones. In the event of an accident it just flips off. I'm not sure if it would stop opening the buckle but stopped my girl climbing out of her seat mid journey..

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

Thanks for all the advice, I've looked at belt lock, I've seen them at shows so I'll look into seeing if it works for a car seat. I'm going to invest in that houdini stop anyway as I think if she can't get her arms out then she can't lean forward enough to open it. Luckily we were parked up at home while I got out of the car for a minute, I came back and she was happily sitting between her seat and her baby brother!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

So not good, you do not need that happening while you are driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Look up the houdoni safety strap

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we had a houdini strap but that never stopped her.
    She is hypermobile so got out of all of them, I gave her a car seat with a bumper,it meant I had to change her to front facing but she stayed in it.
    We got a kiddy guardian fix isofix seat,it had come out top in a few safety tests etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Gee_G wrote: »
    My son used to do it but thankfully it was only a (very quick) passing phase.
    I know at the time people recommended the "Houdini strap" to me. It may be worth a look for your little one?

We found them effective until he learned to open it :) moving it higher worked!
    https://www.amazon.com/Houdini-Stop-Seat-Chest-Clip/dp/B0044VUXGW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭appledrop

Could you try borrowing another car seat from a friend or trying her in their car to see if any better? A different brand might be the answer. I don't understand how she manages to wriggle out of straps. They are meant to be really tight. Our little boy is nearly 2 + never moves in his. I can understand some kids might master the buckle but I barely have strength to open ours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've 3 different type car seats and this is the only one that gets around the wiggling out problem, https://int.recaro-cs.com/child-seats/9-36-kg/monza-nova-is.html
    Only reason I bought it, bit fiddly get everything off to wash but besides that have no real complaints.

Advertisement