Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

You should apply for a job with An Taisce. They called this excessive in height and scale.

I think there might have been some sarcasm in that post you are responding to, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

D'Agger wrote: »
    Nail on head stuff from Moore there - An Taisce are effectively asking new developments to genuflect to older, protected buildings.

By all means, protect buildings of architectural importance and preserve their grandeur, but to suggest that new buildings will impact on the views of these buildings is absurd.

I would tend to agree with this. In many instances, well designed contemporary buildings can add to an area's heritage and character, and the contrast between old and new can actually be very successful. This is a good decision; I don't particularly love the design, it's not especially courageous, but the decision is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Anyone know if the planned hotel in Garretstown is actually started?

http://www.olearyad.ie/project-garrettstown-arch.html

I was down there yesterday and saw that they have begun what looks like the groundworks...it will be fantastic if it is going ahead!

454450.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Here's an image of Clontarf Street from another angle. Wouldn 't be surprised if this goes to further information. A very narrow set of photomontages submitted.
    clontarf1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

You should apply for a job with An Taisce. They called this excessive in height and scale.

Don't worry, I suspect his tongue was firmly in his cheek :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

mire wrote: »
    I think there might have been some sarcasm in that post you are responding to, no?

There was. I was feeding the sarcasm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

snotboogie wrote: »

Great news! I lived behind it on Cove St for years & the back of the old tax office was a magnet for undesirables and killed the street stone dead in that area. Hopefully the new hotel will breath a bit of life into the street instead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0629/974075-glenveagh-properties/

Anyone know what site Glenveagh purchased today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

marno21 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0629/974075-glenveagh-properties/

Anyone know what site Glenveagh purchased today ?
    Almost certainly the Live at the Marquee/ Old Ford site. Same size, interesting that it sold for nearly double the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It would be a bit disappointing if it was just houses built there as the article seems to suggest, or does housing-units tend to mean apartments as well?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Almost certainly the Live at the Marquee/ Old Ford site. Same size, interesting that it sold for nearly double the asking price.
    Ah makes sense. Didn't realise one article was hectares and the other was acres

The previous planning had 564 residential units, 215 hotel rooms and 31,777m^2 of offices. This plan seems to propose 1,000 residential units instead.

TheChizler wrote: »
    It would be a bit disappointing if it was just houses built there as the article seems to suggest, or does housing-units tend to mean apartments as well?

No way you fit 1,000 houses on that site. It would need to be majority high density apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

opus wrote: »
    Great news! I lived behind it on Cove St for years & the back of the old tax office was a magnet for undesirables and killed the street stone dead in that area. Hopefully the new hotel will breath a bit of life into the street instead.

Hopefully, but I think it'll take more development on that street/area for that to happen. If the hotel has an entrance on Cove St it certainly could help, but if not it might not have much impact on the area behind the hotel. Look at the rear of the Clayton / Lapp's Quay; public drinking / fights / flashing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No way you fit 1,000 houses on that site. It would need to be majority high density apartments
    Kind of obvious now that I think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The tiger is roaring again

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

How so??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

You did not mention the development of the Tivoli docks. Apartments, a shopping center and a railway station are to be built there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

If it is, it`s Frankenstein`s tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I believe they are starting with this: https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Entrance-to-the-Cork-Docklands-set-for-a-6m-upgrade-4a3d4145-d5e9-4bed-9d56-fc63be55c194-ds but am open to correction.

The full amount of road work to be done in the Docklands is phenomenal and will likely require significant Governmental funding. The sooner it's released the better so we can get cracking on it.

Those two pics about the road network upgrade look really promising, particularly that awful roundabout being removed and the new area across the road from the Sexton where the crash barrier currently is where you have to step off the footpath onto the road. Amazing that area has survived as long as it has in it's current state. You get so many people walking along the road there.

If they change that road to a two-way system as the pics suggest that'd be better still. That road is needlessly wide, I'm not sure why it was ever a one-way street to begin with.

Are there any updates about Marina park or the are around Pairc Ui Coaimh? It's a bit grim looking at present all boarded up, still.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

who_me wrote: »
    Look at the rear of the Clayton / Lapp's Quay; public drinking / fights / flashing etc.

That won’t ever change while the Simon is there.

• Advertisement

July update

Under Construction

Navigation Square: Four building office development on the former Navigation House site on Albert Quay. 310,000 sq ft of office space for up to 3,000 employees. First phase to be completed Feb 19' Clearstream to be the anchor client

gallery-navigationsquare-night-thumb.jpg

85-86 South Mall: 50,000 sq ft office, 5 storey office building.To be completed in December 18' KPMG rumoured to be anchor client

JCDSouthMall_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-445918

Dalata Hotel South Mall: Six storey hotel, 165 beds. To be completed in November 18'

CorkCityRedevelopmentProjects190218a_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-467356

Student : Western Road/Muskerry Service Station (190 beds) has one crane and the Beamish site (413 beds) has two tower cranes erected. Copley Street (126 beds) should be finished by 2019 and Student Hub in UCC has one tower crane up.

Marina Park: Under construction with first phase to open in Q1 2019.

Industrial projects: Johnson & Johnson (biggest construction project in Cork), MSD, Eli Lilly (all above 100 million).

Container Terminal for the Port of Cork: €80 million container terminal for the Port of Cork in Ringaskiddy. will initially offer a 360m with 13m depth to allow larger ships to berth at Ringaskiddy. The development includes the construction of a 13.5-hectare terminal and associated buildings as well as two ship-to-shore gantry cranes and container handling equipment. It is anticipated that it will become operational by 2020.

Hospital: New wing at Bons Secour has one tower crane and CUH oncology centre has one crane
    Tramore Valley Park: Despite being mostly completed years ago the park remains in limbo with regard to an opening date. This month Ann Doherty, chief executive of Cork City Council, said that the plan was to have the amenity open in ‘August or September.’

There are currently 9 Tower Cranes in the city all listed above. 

Planning/Appealed

Horgan's Quay: Office Space for 5,000 employees, 200 apartments, 136 bed hotel and 3,000 sq metres of restaurants and retail. Got planning permission in March but it was appealed by Port of Cork. Appeal withdrawn in April. Construction on the Hotel will hopefully begin this summer with the office and apartments commencing in 2019.

HorgansQuayDevelopment060917_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-804981

Sullivan's Quay: 6 storey Office & 193 bed, 12 storey, 4 star Hotel. Planning granted and immediately appealed. Given that demolition is nearly complete I'd expect this to go into construction as soon as planning is granted. Potential hold up over the height of the hotel, at 47 metres, it is set to make the top 20 tallest buildings in the state if completed. Full planning granted on June 29th. No start date for construction.

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

The Prism: A 15 storey 70 metre office development on the triangle site on Clontarf Street. Planning lodged in the middle of May and a decision is due on the 10th of July. An Taisce objectedon the 22nd of June.

image.jpg

Penrose Dock: 7 and 9 floor office development in the area bounded by Penrose quay, Railway street, Alfred street and Brian Boru street. Submitted for planning at the end of May, decision due on 19th of July.

PenroseQuayCGI2_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-844749

Former Victoria Hotel: Knocking much of the Victoria and rebuilding to the back and refurbishing the original historic front/facade and to integrate the two sections into a new high order retail unit, of 25,000 sq ft, over four floors. Rumoured to be taken over by Zara. Planning granted in Feb, appealed with a decision due soon. (If somebody knows the date it would be great). No update on when the decision is due, again if somebody knows when this is due i'd love to hear.

Metropole Redevelopment: €50m redevelopment of the Metropole Hotel to include a new five-storey boutique hotel on Patrick's Quay. Planning granted with amendments in March. No appeals and got full permission in April. Construction on the M boutique hotel to start sometime in 2019 and the Metropole will start once the M is completed.

MetropoleRefurbishmentImpression2017_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-451976

MacCurtain Street/York Street Hotel: 8 floor 73 bed hotel. Planning granted in March, appealed soon after and withdrawn at the end of April. Construction to start before the end of the year.

Wilton Shopping Centre: €100 million revamp proposed. Mistake made in planning permission. In the process of resubmitting. No updates.

Wilton-SC-CGI-03-600x480.jpg

Student accommodation: Crows Nest (250 beds) has planning and should hopefully start at some stage this summer, UCC expect it open for Sept 2020. The Square Deal (228 beds) appeal was withdrawn and it now has full planning permission. O’Riordans Joinery (322 beds) was due for decision on the 24th of May but I've heard nothing? Farranlea Road (145 beds) had planning approved and decision due on June 11th. Kelleher Tyres site on Victoria Cross Rd (124 beds) and their 5 storey apartment block were asked for further information.

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange: This is currently at the tender stage now with some time, a tender award is expected in Q2 2018. The project is expected to fully start in Q1 2019 as a comprehensive traffic management plan will have to be put in place by the contractor. Some site clearance and early works are ongoing at present, and some preliminary work is expected to go ahead in Q4 2018.

N22 Macroom to Ballyvourney (bypasses Macroom and Ballyvourney): The tender process for this started last week, with candidates invited to apply to the prequalification stage until early June. After this, candidates will be invited to tender in July 2018 when the official tender process will begin. The project is currently programmed to begin in Q1 2020 but there is scope for acceleration of this

M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy: This project was submitted to An Bord Pleanala in May 2017 and a decision was expected to be published in December 2017, which was delayed to April 2018 and still hasn't been released. The project has been held up by a small but vocal group of local individuals objecting on a range of fronts primarily environmental and related to noise and pollution, in addition to a belief that TII & Cork County Council are trying to create congestion in Rochestown and Douglas. The decision is expected ASAP however an appeal is expected if it is approved. A big "watch this space"...

M20 Cork-Limerick: This tender process for the design and planning of this scheme went out last week with route selection expected to begin in September 2018. The project, if approved, will likely start around 2022 and open in 2025/2026.

In Limbo

Event Centre: 6,000 all seater multi purpose event centre with a tourist brewery experience. Arguably the most controversial construction project in the history of the city. After a bleak 6 months at the back end of 2017 there have been two instances of positive murmurs from the Government and BAM in January 2018 and April 2018. Construction allegedly to start in Q4 2018 but there are still conflicting and contradictory statements from all parties involved. Construction put back to Q1 2019 at the earliest pending new planning permission

CorkEventCentre_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-467028

Ikea: Announced as a certainty for Carrigtwohill by The Examiner late last year. Ikea themselves poured some water over it a few months later but confirmed they are looking for a site in Cork. Nothing since bar this interesting tweet last month:

https://twitter.com/IKEAUKSupport/status/1002178248602734597

Anderson Quay/Camden Quay/Trinity Quarter: All have had planning for years with no work on site. Camden Quay allegedly had some work going on a few months ago but nothing materialized in terms of actual construction. I can't see any of these sites being developed as per their current proposals. Nothing again this month.

Student Accommodation: Coca-Cola site (484 beds) on the Carrigrohane Road has had planning for over a year but nothing has happened? Model Farm Road/Melbourne Road (344 beds) has had planning for two years.

Penny's Patrick Street: Last month Lawrence Owens of the CBA said “This planning process has been going on for a long time,” “When it happens it will transform the area, and bring vibrancy in terms of the size and scale of the project. We are just hoping that this development, which has been mooted for two to three years, can happen sooner rather than later.” Don't hold your breath!

Merchants Quay: Has had planning permission since July 2015.The last article I found on it was from 2017 and said: It is understood that work won't begin until early next year to minimise disruption to shoppers over the coming Christmas shopping period, though sources close to the development are confident that the work will be finished by late 2018.

image.jpg

N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton: This project is included in the National Development Plan having been suspended in 2011. The project will be sent for appraisal in 2018 and if it merits will be prioritised for delivery. The scheme was at route selection stage when suspended.

The remainder of schemes planned for Cork (N22 Macroom-Ovens, N25 Midleton-Youghal, N40 North Ring West, N71 dualling) all remain suspended.

Concept/Pre Planning

Docklands Tower: 40 storey mixed use tower with the redevelopment of the existing customs house warehouses into cultural, tourist and retail space. By a mile the most ambitious development in Ireland. Announced over one year ago and no sign of a planning permission application yet, allegedly waiting for the Docklands development plan this summer to rezone heights for the site. If we don't see a planning application by the end of the year I'd be worried.  

portOfCorkProposedTower_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-786458

Ford Distribution Depot: Put on sale in May. Former site of the extremely ambitious Atlantic Quarter. Major development opportunity. Rumored to be a residential development with over 1,000 apartments. Sold to Glenveagh in June for over 15 million.

Transportation: A Cork light rail and/or BRT system got vague mentions in Ireland 2040 but its rumoured something more concrete will be announced at the end of the summer. Bus connects was allocated 200 million in funding in the 2040 plan. The Eastern Gateway Bridge remains a concept
    M40 Cork North Ring Road: This project was included in the National Development Plan and will be reactivated if there is a requirement to connect the M20 to the motorway network around Cork. The road remains a priority for people on the Northside (including Apple). Simon Coveney announced in June that the North Ring Eastern section would be built in conjunction with the M20 to zero media fanfare. 

Nothing on the docklands development plan in June. July will hopefully see it released. The Prism and Penrose Dock both have planning decisions due, I'd expect the Prism to be locked up in appeals all summer even if it does get initial approval. Hopefully we might see a final decision on the Victoria Hotel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Snot boogie

I believe that is an old rendering of Navigation House. That old warehouse in between both buildings is now to be demolished I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Thanks Snotboogie for a comprehensive update.
    Regarding The Prism, as far as I'm aware An Taisce have lodged an objection. They have not 'appealed' any decision since a decision has not yet been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

You did not mention the development of the Tivoli docks. Apartments, a shopping center and a railway station are to be built there.

Any info on this? I hadn't heard anything about it.

who_me wrote: »
    Any info on this? I hadn't heard anything about it.

Haven't seen anything besides this article in de paper last week
    Port of Cork getting the ball rolling on the redevelopment of Tivoli when the container operation moves to Ringaskiddy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/thousands-of-homes-set-to-be-built-on-cork-dock-site-472383.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

That Metropole development is awful. Its not the prettiest building as it stands but the redevelopment planned in that image looks nasty imo.

tototoe wrote: »
    That Metropole development is awful. Its not the prettiest building as it stands but the redevelopment planned in that image looks nasty imo.
    That didn't pass planning, it's been changed with heights revised down and the bridge between the M and the Metropole removed but I haven't been able to find a picture of the new plan

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

calnand wrote: »

What's the M48 it talks about?

"The scheme also includes provision for the M28 to M48 Link Road and the removal of the existing merger at Maryborough Hill."

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What's the M48 it talks about?

"The scheme also includes provision for the M28 to M48 Link Road and the removal of the existing merger at Maryborough Hill."

I'm not sure but I believe it could be a reservation for a link road from the future M28 to the future M71 in the LONG term

Or a typo.

Advertisement