Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The video here for the Sextant Tower. My count comes in at 25 storeys. The whole thing looks unreal including the new bar. JCD are single handedly transforming the place.

https://vimeo.com/340183831

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Survey now, highlight dangers, current owners are liable for it

Good luck with that.

Good luck with that.

Yeah I know, only can only dream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

The video here for the Sextant Tower. My count comes in at 25 storeys. The whole thing looks unreal including the new bar. JCD are single handedly transforming the place.

https://vimeo.com/340183831

Video is gone but here's a screenshot.

483635.jpg

Personally I'd love to see that built there as would open the door for more tall building down in the docklands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Funny how they're repeating the same visual trick they use on Penrose Dock (and Penrose Quay?), of having the 'strong' horizontal lines every second / third floor, which makes it seem like a shorter building than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/video-25-storey-apartment-tower-proposed-for-corks-albert-quay-933087.html

Article in the examiner also suggests that the Port of Cork tower planning application is due to be submitted next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/video-25-storey-apartment-tower-proposed-for-corks-albert-quay-933087.html

Article in the examiner also suggests that the Port of Cork tower planning application is due to be submitted next month!

Saw that. A 30+ tower they say. Fingers crossed it's 39 storey. : )
    And hopefully it will be a serious headturner.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

John Cleary, CEO of JCD Group said they were “very excited to be progressing this proposed residential scheme given the constant feedback we are receiving from our multinational clients in relation to their concerns at the lack of suitable residential accommodation available for their employees in the city centre.

“It's been almost 12 years since the last new city centre apartment scheme of scale was completed in Cork city, and given the ongoing momentum we are witnessing in the office sector, should the residential schemes not be brought forward, the ongoing development of the city centre will be compromised.”

Bang. Hopefully the first of many.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Saw that. A 30+ tower they say. Fingers crossed it's 39 storey. : )
    And hopefully it will be a serious headturner.
    34 stories, twice the height of the Elysian according to the SBP last month.

• Advertisement

An Taisce incoming in 3...2...1...

This is ambitious and i would think they should also not build the 25 storey building in Jacobs island and build a second one in this location instead. Build the appropriate infrastructure, train lines, bus links etc.. Most people who will live in these apartments will be working in the city centre.
    These type builds and along with the student accom on south main street will majorly increase footfall in the city, boosting the local shops, restaurants, cafes and bars. it would create the evening buzz during the week that the city is lacking.

I am all for this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

And in a change from the big apartment developments, this one (3 maybe) is taking shape on Woods St next to PC Services (who I can totally recommend btw).

483645.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Had my ps2, ps3 (x2) repaired in there when I lived in Cork :)

This is ambitious and i would think they should also not build the 25 storey building in Jacobs island and build a second one in this location instead. Build the appropriate infrastructure, train lines, bus links etc.. Most people who will live in these apartments will be working in the city centre.
    These type builds and along with the student accom on south main street will majorly increase footfall in the city, boosting the local shops, restaurants, cafes and bars. it would create the evening buzz during the week that the city is lacking.

I am all for this

Build both. There is a chronic and growing shortage of apartments in Cork

An Taisce incoming in 3...2...1...

Given that this will be an SHD and won’t be blocked on height they won’t even manage to delay it based on a frivolous height objection unlike the Prism

marno21 wrote: »
    Given that this will be an SHD and won’t be blocked on height they won’t even manage to delay it based on a frivolous height objection unlike the Prism

You know that they will try though

They'll say it blocks the historic view of The Elysian or something :pac:

marno21 wrote: »
    Build both. There is a chronic and growing shortage of apartments in Cork

I am saying build both but to put both in the city centre. Jacobs island is not the place, the roads on and off the link there are already at capacity

I am saying build both but to put both in the city centre. Jacobs island is not the place, the roads on and off the link there are already at capacity

The insanity of putting Abtran, VoxPoro, CSO, Mahon Shopping, and a host of IT companies all on one junction serving a large population centre never ceases to baffle me.
    A junction already strained by proximity to the tunnel and Bloomfield.

Oh I’ve absolutely no doubt there will be similar towers to the JCD one coming in the city, especially down the Docklands

I think the Jacobs Island one would be useful for all the Mahon workers.. seems a clever use of limited land there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Massive political pressure to get a luas stop at Jacobs Island is needed then.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Massive political pressure to get a luas stop at Jacobs Island is needed then.

Nope, we need a Greenway more, obviously.

The area is already only an 18 minute cycle to the City Centre, so there's no need to drive really. The new apartments should have limited parking and lots of bike storage.

The area is already only an 18 minute cycle to the City Centre, so there's no need to drive really. The new apartments should have limited parking and lots of bike storage.

LUAS to Mahon (and should include Jacobs island, if that development does go ahead) should not have been long fingered.
    Putting a development like that there will be massively populated by families, do you honestly think that no parking for at least one car per family is suitable?

Putting a development, like that, outside the city centre means that they will need cars, not bicycles.

LUAS to Mahon (and should include Jacobs island, if that development does go ahead) should not have been long fingered.
    Putting a development like that there will be massively populated by families, do you honestly think that no parking for at least one car per family is suitable?

Putting a development, like that, outside the city centre means that they will need cars, not bicycles.

Lots of new resi developments in Dublin are now without a car space per apartment, some as low as 1 space per 2 apartments, mostly the smaller units (1 beds) are coming without parking. The shared living developments and student accom dont have any parking at all. Seems logical Cork would go the same way.

Lots of new resi developments in Dublin are now without a car space per apartment, some as low as 1 space per 2 apartments, mostly the smaller units (1 beds) are coming without parking. The shared living developments and student accom dont have any parking at all. Seems logical Cork would go the same way.

Yeah but they have a multi faceted bus network, cork has go to the city centre to go anywhere else.
    Dart
    LUAS

Their residential developments are also much better served by facilities than an abandoned development at Jacobs island would be. Even the horrid one at the red cow has the Luas junction in place.
    It's a great idea to put people out there but it will be a nightmare for families if you accept a car restriction on anything other than 1 bed units.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Yeah but they have a multi faceted bus network, cork has go to the city centre to go anywhere else.
    Dart
    LUAS

Their residential developments are also much better served by facilities than an abandoned development at Jacobs island would be. Even the horrid one at the red cow has the Luas junction in place.
    It's a great idea to put people out there but it will be a nightmare for families if you accept a car restriction on anything other than 1 bed units.

The development at Jacobs Island wouldn't be aimed at families. i was listening to Ronan Lyons on newstalk this morning and he was saying that the massive under supply in Ireland is for young professionals who either want to live in 1 bed apts or share an apt with one or two others in the same demographic. His main point was that we need to get out of the mindset that all accommodation should be built with a couple and three kids in mind. In Mahon you could walk to work and to Mahon Point, get the bus into town and access the greenway to Douglas on a bike.

snotboogie wrote: »
    The development at Jacobs Island wouldn't be aimed at families. i was listening to Ronan Lyons on newstalk this morning and he was saying that the massive under supply in Ireland is for young professionals who either want to live in 1 bed apts or share an apt with one or two others in the same demographic. His main point was that we need to get out of the mindset that all accommodation should be built with a couple and three kids in mind. In Mahon you could walk to work and to Mahon Point, get the bus into town and access the greenway to Douglas on a bike.

If they build it like that then fine but they need too be built to let and not owner occupied.
    That OO model of 1 bedroom apartments has crippled a generation by trapping people in apartments unsuitable for long term living.

snotboogie wrote: »

This times a million. Dublin's inner suburbs are entirely 3 bed semis with 3 young people sharing, each would much rather a studio or one bed in a more central location and leave the 3 bed semi to a family, but because we don't have the stock to supply that demographic, they have to share the family homes and families are displaced to Kildare.

• Advertisement

If they build it like that then fine but they need too be built to let and not owner occupied.
    That OO model of 1 bedroom apartments has crippled a generation by trapping people in apartments unsuitable for long term living.

Have you considered that not everyone has or wants kids?

Advertisement