Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Yeah but they have a multi faceted bus network, cork has go to the city centre to go anywhere else.
    Dart
    LUAS

PT in Dublin is only marginally better than Cork, I'd say Cork is actually better to cycle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

cgcsb wrote: »
    Yeah but they have a multi faceted bus network, cork has go to the city centre to go anywhere else.
    Dart
    LUAS

PT in Dublin is only marginally better than Cork, I'd say Cork is actually better to cycle in.

Marginally? Public transport is almost non existent in Cork. Dublin needs massive improvements for sure but they have Green, Red and Cross city Luas lines, extensive and frequent buses in many areas, the Dart and a much larger cycling network. Dublin is well behind comparable cities in Europe which just shows how ****e public transport is in Cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

SHD consultation filed this week with ABP for 115 houses and 112 apartments in Bishopstown

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304707.htm

Have you considered that not everyone has or wants kids?

You put three bedroom apartments in there and it's not professional singletons looking to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

You put three bedroom apartments in there and it's not professional singletons looking to buy.

Could be apartment shares, which work out cheaper to the renters than 1 bedroom apts

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    Could be apartment shares, which work out cheaper to the renters than 1 bedroom apts

True as long as theybare not marketed/sold as family units?
    I've live in commuter blocks and full of families

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

The development at Jacobs Island wouldn't be aimed at families. i was listening to Ronan Lyons on newstalk this morning and he was saying that the massive under supply in Ireland is for young professionals who either want to live in 1 bed apts or share an apt with one or two others in the same demographic. His main point was that we need to get out of the mindset that all accommodation should be built with a couple and three kids in mind. In Mahon you could walk to work and to Mahon Point, get the bus into town and access the greenway to Douglas on a bike.

I heard from someone in the know that it's gone back for planning, and changing most apartments to one and two beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

marno21 wrote: »
    SHD consultation filed this week with ABP for 115 houses and 112 apartments in Bishopstown

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304707.htm

You think the townland should read Garranedarragh? That would be the old farm/estate house behind dunnes. Interesting to see where access would be from if so, given the bottleneck eagle valley can be already

calnand wrote: »
    I heard from someone in the know that it's gone back for planning, and changing most apartments to one and two beds.

It would be good to see some (any!) movement on the Mahon Tower!

sheff_ wrote: »
    You think the townland should read Garranedarragh? That would be the old farm/estate house behind dunnes. Interesting to see where access would be from if so, given the bottleneck eagle valley can be already

Gurranedarragh which is actually Togher, more scamming people on address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

opus wrote: »
    Video is gone but here's a screenshot.

483635.jpg

Personally I'd love to see that built there as would open the door for more tall building down in the docklands.

I think it looks great. Wow Cork city will be looking very cool in a few years time. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Looks good but I'd like to see the planning authorities enforce them to incorporate facilities for proper pickup and drop off spaces for Taxis etc. Somewhere where you can take a few bags of shopping/suitcase out of a car without being on the actual road as that is key to living high rise and not owning a car. I lived in Singapore and some residences/shopping centers like this had a barrier to a drop off space where the system recognized the taxis (tag system similar to tolling) but would not allow Joe Soap in to park for 5 minutes when he went to the shop. This did require some joined up thinking and such so may be feasible in 20-30 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

just 6m shorter than the planned Tara St tower

just 6m shorter than the planned Tara St tower

Also 1 metre shorter than the Mahon Tower.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

And ~54 meters shorter than the rumoured height for the Docklands Tower.

Who gives a fvck, just get it built

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Who gives a fvck, just get it built

Agreed.

Hopefully An Taisce, Greens, and miscellaneous NIMBYs stay out of this one, for a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Meursault wrote: »
    Agreed.

Hopefully An Taisce, Greens, and miscellaneous NIMBYs stay out of this one, for a chance.

To be fair this is exactly the kind of development that the Green Party would be in favour of, promote and advocate for.

To be fair this is exactly the kind of development that the Green Party would be in favour of, promote and advocate for.

The green party are ferociously campaigning against the Port of Cork Tower

• Advertisement

That's not residential though and is pie in the sky stuff designed to grab headlines and raise awareness of that Irish American crowd's profile. It may get built but not anywhere near that scale. (I'm not a GP member or anything by the way - I just happen to agree with a lot of what they stand for. Urban, denser living being one of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

And my card-carrying Green Party sibling who lives in another city is a bit perplexed by this opposition. It would be interesting to know if this local opposition to high density development has the backing of Green Party leadership nationally, or if they are even aware of it.

That's not residential though and is pie in the sky stuff designed to grab headlines and raise awareness of that Irish American crowd's profile. It may get built but not anywhere near that scale. (I'm not a GP member or anything by the way - I just happen to agree with a lot of what they stand for. Urban, denser living being one of them)

To be fair there is little to no firm details on the project. The last update seemed to indicate that it would include significant residential. If it's pie in the sky, why bother with it at all. Oliver Moran was up in the Dail asking for details of the sale and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

cantalach wrote: »
    And my card-carrying Green Party sibling who lives in another city is a bit perplexed by this opposition. It would be interesting to know if this local opposition to high density development has the backing of Green Party leadership nationally, or if they are even aware of it.

I dismissed it as well when I heard it but having been down there for the Sea Festival thing I'm inclined to think that it's not the best use of the site.

If they put it on either side of that spot i would be 110% for it but I'm starting to think that there could be something better (museum/ civic amenity etc.) done on that site.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    I dismissed it as well when I heard it but having been down there for the Sea Festival thing I'm inclined to think that it's not the best use of the site.

If they put it on either side of that spot i would be 110% for it but I'm starting to think that there could be something better (museum/ civic amenity etc.) done on that site.

A big f*ck off bronze Mick Collins statue (35 stories - at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if Green politicians will generally be opposed to this development aswell.

They claim they are pro high density but then seem to oppose it when it’s to get built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

This is what makes Cork City council different then Dublin city council. They want high rise density apartments in the city.

https://twitter.com/corkcitycouncil/status/1144212526722363394?s=09

This is what makes Cork City council different then Dublin city council. They want high rise density apartments in the city.

https://twitter.com/corkcitycouncil/status/1144212526722363394?s=09

Dan Boyle straight in to complain that the council shouldn't be on favour of it before planning is submitted (even though they don't have a say!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Dan Boyle straight in to complain that the council shouldn't be on favour of it before planning is submitted (even though they don't have a say!)

Alarming.

• Advertisement

Alarming.

Care to elaborate?

Advertisement