Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dan Boyle straight in to complain that the council shouldn't be on favour of it before planning is submitted (even though they don't have a say!)
    https://twitter.com/sendboyle/status/1144235052919922688

Ah lets build 150 semi Ds in Carrigaline and add a few hundred more cars to the roads around Cork.

Unfortunately I have to restrain myself with regards to his policies after some issues we had on the Roads forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Care to elaborate?

I have no doubt that various Green Party members will object to this development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sendboyle/status/1144235052919922688

Ah lets build 150 semi Ds in Carrigaline and add a few hundred more cars to the roads around Cork.

Unfortunately I have to restrain myself with regards to his policies after some issues we had on the Roads forum.

Ok sorry now which landmark building is he moaning about? (there's always one :rolleyes:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ok sorry now which landmark building is he moaning about? (there's always one :rolleyes:)

The Sextant I’m assuming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

marno21 wrote: »
    The Sextant I’m assuming

Ak ok so he's literally just moaning for no other reason than perhaps to get an approving nod from the other green party goons. Useless bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The absolute state of it

2i1ffvp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

Ak ok so he's literally just moaning for no other reason than perhaps to get an approving nod from the other green party goons. Useless bunch.

So while there is a housing shortage in the country and employers concerned about this very issue, the likes of this public repersentative feel it appropriate to object to 1 single building which will help this current shortage.

This gent would be better off getting himself a real job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

The absolute state of it

2i1ffvp.jpg

So Dan wants to save some nondescript three story house while in Shandon a real landmark building is being let rot by the council. I'd almost come round to supporting the GP after they blighted the country with diesel cars when they had a taste of power but guess time to think again.

Craft_Centre.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

If anyone fancies a giggle head over to the article about the tower on the evening echo facebook page. The comments section makes for great reading LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

At least every reply to Mr.Boyle's Tweet is calling him out on his nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In fairness to Dan he's been consistent on this. Back in February he was talking about the architectural merit of the Sextant building, and was opposed to demolishing it. He's against removing the building, not against the type of building it's being replaced with. Whether that argument has merit or not is a different matter, but I see no reason to believe he's against high-rise per se.

https://twitter.com/cllrkmac/status/1093883045483028481
    https://twitter.com/sendboyle/status/1093953808097599490

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If anyone fancies a giggle head over to the article about the tower on the evening echo facebook page. The comments section makes for great reading LOL.

Facebook comments sections are the home for the bewildered. You'll see the odd sensible post among a whole host of "it's de gubbermints fault" type responses.

TheChizler wrote: »
    In fairness to Dan he's been consistent on this. Back in February he was talking about the architectural merit of the Sextant building, and was opposed to demolishing it. He's against removing the building, not against the type of building it's being replaced with. Whether that argument has merit or not is a different matter, but I see no reason to believe he's against high-rise per se.

https://twitter.com/cllrkmac/status/1093883045483028481
    https://twitter.com/sendboyle/status/1093953808097599490

There is fvck all special about that building.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There is fvck all special about that building.

Even less special about a glass box.

Yes, that glass box will house hundreds of people.
    The Sextant building will do what exactly? What merit is in it? Is it a great architectural example or a massive historically significant building?

Might as well not bother having any developments in that case if existing buildings must be maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Boyle showing exactly what’s wrong about the Greens. People struggling to find accommodation, yet he’s more concerned about a nothing building. Totally out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Put them down the largely redundant docklands and keep them there.

What wrong with this location? It’s in the docks and is perfect brownfield for redevelopment.

Better taking a graduated approach from the city down than a scattergun approach further down.

I see this argument of only building these types of building further down in the docks. I don’t see what this location isn’t suitable for midrise.

The same people who say only build high further down will be the same people who will eventually object to them further down again.

Boyle showing exactly what’s wrong about the Greens. People struggling to find accommodation, yet he’s more concerned about a nothing building. Totally out of touch with reality.

The greens tends to say one thing and then act in a completely different manner. They seem totally opposed to midrise developments all around the docklands so far. They’re whipping up hysteria about that port of cork building.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find the Docklands are actually far from "largely redundant".

Also pointless building random apartment blocks in isolated spots down along the river without the supporting infrastructure. This location is perfect. A few mins walk from the bus and train station and right next to large employment bases in One Albert Quay, Navigation Square and Indeed Horgan's Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The greens also oppose public transport projects in Dublin. Ultimately everything, including beliefs are for sale.

The Greens in Cork are a strange bunch. They are against high-rise and densification which would inevitably lead to provision for sustainable transport options. They have the opposite of what you'd expect a Green philosophy to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yes, that glass box will house hundreds of people.
    The Sextant building will do what exactly? What merit is in it? Is it a great architectural example or a massive historically significant building?
    It's architecturally interesting according to the NIAH. Built around the same time as the Albert Road train station, the funny shape of its yard is due to various train lines that ran through the area so it has a deep connection to the railway heritage in the area.

It's important not to belittle any concerns for the sake of progress, or the novelty of having a new tall building around, arguably there are a load of unimportant sites in that area that would do just fine. At the same time you can't assume that because someone is against a particular development that they are against all developments of that type.

Now I can't see the Sextant building having a future, or that they would be able to integrate it in a meaningful way into a high-rise building, so by al means go ahead with the tower, but I still think these people have a point and are worth listening to.

Same with the custom house tower and the prism, It's nice to have a new cool tall building in the pipeline, but that prospect shouldn't overshadow all the arguments against that particular project.

It's architecturally interesting according to the NIAH. Built around the same time as the Albert Road train station, the funny shape of its yard is due to various train lines that ran through the area so it has a deep connection to the railway heritage in the area.

It's important not to belittle any concerns for the sake of progress, or the novelty of having a new tall building around, arguably there are a load of unimportant sites in that area that would do just fine. At the same time you can't assume that because someone is against a particular development that they are against all developments of that type.

Now I can't see the Sextant building having a future, or that they would be able to integrate it in a meaningful way into a high-rise building, so by al means go ahead with the tower, but I still think these people have a point and are worth listening to.

Same with the custom house tower and the prism, It's nice to have a new cool tall building in the pipeline, but that prospect shouldn't overshadow all the arguments against that particular project.

You're trying to frame this like people want a "novelty" and something "cool" like a tall building. That's quite false. It's about moving away from the decades long policy of low density sprawl in Ireland to a more sustainable urban environment. There is no future in continuing sprawl and maintaining buildings (with poor energy characteristics also) just for the sake of it.

As for the Prism. That site has been a derelict embarrassment to the city for decades. Any objections to it are simply contrarian for the sake of being contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

The greens tends to say one thing and then act in a completely different manner. They seem totally opposed to midrise developments all around the docklands so far. They’re whipping up hysteria about that port of cork building.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    The Greens in Cork are a strange bunch. They are against high-rise and densification which would inevitably lead to provision for sustainable transport options. They have the opposite of what you'd expect a Green philosophy to be.

The Greens are populists, might as well call them out for what they are.

They support what sounds best at that moment in the media and gets an emotional reaction from anyone who might dare to question them.

They're anti sprawl whilst being anti hi-rise, anti road development whilst being against something as essential as a metro service in Dublin.

They'll do very well at the next elections as the people who will elect them in, are a decade or more younger than most of us here who remember their policies from 10 years ago.

The heart of a city centre, crying for residential building, and you think that going up is for the sake of being cool??
    The Prism, being done for no reason but to go up? Right next to the bus station and railway?

A random yard and a building around it is not of any merit whatsoever, especially when compared to the needs of the citizens.
    There are plenty of buildings in this city which call on the city's history
    Custom House (yes including the warehouses)
    St. Peters
    Huge amount of the Coal Quay
    South Mall/Lapps Quay/Parnell Place junction

The Sextant is a random 3 storey building that is a very minor professional interest for architects and is nothing that you won't see in countless locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The heart of a city centre, crying for residential building, and you think that going up is for the sake of being cool??
    The Prism, being done for no reason but to go up? Right next to the bus station and railway?

A random yard and a building around it is not of any merit whatsoever, especially when compared to the needs of the citizens.
    There are plenty of buildings in this city which call on the city's history
    Custom House (yes including the warehouses)
    St. Peters
    Huge amount of the Coal Quay
    South Mall/Lapps Quay/Parnell Place junction

The Sextant is a random 3 storey building that is a very minor professional interest for architects and is nothing that you won't see in countless locations.

There's a pretty good reason most buildings I the city aren't much above 5 or 6 stories
    . it's the cost.. But if someone want to build 15 stories on the prisim site, then good luck to them,
    The mahon tower has planning, and it's stalled...
    I'd rather see 5 or 6 story buildings delivered in and around the city, than promised 15 to 30 story buildings that aren't deliverable...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'd rather see 5 or 6 story buildings delivered in and around the city, than promised 15 to 30 story buildings that aren't deliverable...

That's wonderful and all but it would still mean knocking the Sextant.
    The issue being discussed is not the height, rather the crap of any development being blocked/hindered for nonsensical arguments

• Advertisement

That's wonderful and all but it would still mean knocking the Sextant.
    The issue being discussed is not the height, rather the crap of any development being blocked/hindered for nonsensical arguments

The Sextant is just leverage to try to stop this. If the Sextant wasn’t there, there’d be another excuse. It’s never ending.

Advertisement