Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

The Sextant is just leverage to try to stop this. If the Sextant wasn’t there, there’d be another excuse. It’s never ending.

Of course it is, that's why I jokingly said that the next objection would be that it blocks the historic view of The Elysian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I think theres enough will from those that be to get these things over the line. Fellas like Boyle and the artist who's been mouthing off on Twitter again will shout loud but thats about it. You'd have to trust the decision makers wont make a call based on some fellas Twitter campaign.

The Port of Cork site is an incredible waste of such a prime and unique city center location, if they said to me they were knocking the entire thing I wouldnt blink twice.

The Sextant is an empty bar with a half old looking facade, bye bye.

The Prism getting planning has paved the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Markcheese wrote: »
    There's a pretty good reason most buildings I the city aren't much above 5 or 6 stories
    . it's the cost.. But if someone want to build 15 stories on the prisim site, then good luck to them,
    The mahon tower has planning, and it's stalled...
    I'd rather see 5 or 6 story buildings delivered in and around the city, than promised 15 to 30 story buildings that aren't deliverable...

You could say the developers of the the Prism and Port of Tower are unproven in their developments in Cork but thats not true of JCD. Once/if the planning goes through, they will start work on it straight after they finish Penrose Dock.

Bring it on I say. Just to say that not all 220 apartments would be generally available to the public. There probably will be managed apartments that local companies can use as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

The greens tends to say one thing and then act in a completely different manner. They seem totally opposed to midrise developments all around the docklands so far. They’re whipping up hysteria about that port of cork building.

And just today they are suggesting cancelling the M20:

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/green-party-want-m20-plans-scrapped/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

TheChizler wrote: »
    In fairness to Dan he's been consistent on this. Back in February he was talking about the architectural merit of the Sextant building, and was opposed to demolishing it. He's against removing the building, not against the type of building it's being replaced with. Whether that argument has merit or not is a different matter, but I see no reason to believe he's against high-rise per se.

https://twitter.com/cllrkmac/status/1093883045483028481
    https://twitter.com/sendboyle/status/1093953808097599490

In fairness he's a whinger determined on objecting to any new developments. Its a dull historically insignificant 3 storey town house that is looking increasingly silly as the new buildings around it get finished. Its not even pleasant looking for god sake.

Its incredible that this is even being used a point of opposition for a proposed building that will provide badly needed high density accommodation in the city center during a housing crisis. What a joke, its laughable.

Not that I ever have voted for the Greens but if this is the type of tripe they come out with I'll make sure I never do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

kub wrote: »

I travel from Cork to Galway regularly and you could very easily improve that route by putting a bypass around Charleville and Buttevant, a few climbing lanes to take out tractors/ lorries etc. and sort out Rathduff.

Treviso wrote: »
    Bring it on I say. Just to say that not all 220 apartments would be generally available to the public. There probably will be managed apartments that local companies can use as well

But they free up apartments that would be taken in other areas otherwise

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    I travel from Cork to Galway regularly and you could very easily improve that route by putting a bypass around Charleville and Buttevant, a few climbing lanes to take out tractors/ lorries etc. and sort out Rathduff.
    Sort out Rathduff and you move an even bigger jam to Mallow.

There is one solution here, the M20. If the country was half competent at this stuff we'd be driving on it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Another twist to the North Main Street saga.

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1144581602393186306

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

kub wrote: »

No problem with his other point that Cork and Limerick should get proper public transport but he's framing this as a one or the other choice when it shouldn't be at all. Future electric and autonomous vehicles will need decent road infrastructure. What about something visionary like putting in provision for a rail line alongside the M20? Especially the last stage from say Charleville to Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

In fairness he's a whinger determined on objecting to any new developments. Its a dull historically insignificant 3 storey town house that is looking increasingly silly as the new buildings around it get finished. Its not even pleasant looking for god sake.

Its incredible that this is even being used a point of opposition for a proposed building that will provide badly needed high density accommodation in the city center during a housing crisis. What a joke, its laughable.

Not that I ever have voted for the Greens but if this is the type of tripe they come out with I'll make sure I never do.

And how long has the Sextant even been a decent hipster bar?

It's nice now but I don'y remember it being anything special 10/ 15 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted a planning notice on the former religious (of some sort!) building next to Bishop Lucey park on South Main St for conversion to retail at ground floor & two overhead apartments.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    And how long has the Sextant even been a decent hipster bar?

It's nice now but I don'y remember it being anything special 10/ 15 years ago...

It was a dock workers bar really, up to then, like the idle hour

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I see both sides of this argument.
    The Sextant is a nice building. It's of local significance but not of huge interest architecturally.

However, I don't buy the argument that the only way to address the housing crisis is to demolish all built heritage in the city centre and replace it with 20-storey glass boxes with little or no architectural merit. These are definitely part of the solution, but they are not the only solution.

The eastern city centre is in danger of becoming a hodgepodge of mid-size generic buildings. Encouraging 4-8 storey development in clusters in the near suburbs has far more potential than building a few vanity project glass towers in the city centre while allowing the sea of low-rise development in the suburbs to continue to stretch out to Glanmire, Carrigaline, Ballincollig and beyond.

I would like the Sextant building retained. It has a fairly small footprint anyway and a more imaginative development might find a way to incorporate it or to build around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The Sextant is the name of a pub, I can guarantee anyone calling to save the building would never ever have thought about the building until the news it had been purchased, all of a sudden "it must be saved". Its of no importance whatsoever to this city, get rid of it and lets get a nice modern quarter up and running down that end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

& close to jobs.
    Could there be anything more "sustainable".
    Boosting population in the city centre rather than suburban sprawling.

Much to my chagrin, i voted for them last general election. Never again. Although i did give a no.3 for your one in Europe this time. Theres something smug and sanctimonious about the locals.

Cork in 10 years
    2j0hyj9.jpg

But they free up apartments that would be taken in other areas otherwise

More that they would free up hotel rooms as most multinational visitors would spend their time in hotel rooms instead of these managed apartments

Treviso wrote: »
    More that they would free up hotel rooms as most multinational visitors would spend their time in hotel rooms instead of these managed apartments

Which allows more tourists who spend money in local economy, still a win

Encouraging 4-8 storey development in clusters in the near suburbs has far more potential than building a few vanity project glass towers in the city centre while allowing the sea of low-rise development in the suburbs to continue to stretch out to Glanmire, Carrigaline, Ballincollig and beyond.

Is this not a bit contradictory though?

Stick the high(er) rises in the city centre, close to each other, rather than spread out over a wider radius. Higher density population clustered together would allow better public transport connectivity like light rail to major employment hubs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

However, I don't buy the argument that the only way to address the housing crisis is to demolish all built heritage in the city centre and replace it with 20-storey glass boxes with little or no architectural merit. These are definitely part of the solution, but they are not the only solution.
    Who’s making that argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

What's with the continual use of the word "glass" as a derogitory term when referring to new buildings? It's perplexing, as if letting light into a building/office/apartment is some awful thing. Particularly in Ireland where we get little sunlight as it is.

Do some just want concrete blocks with tiny windows or what? We should make more buildings like the R&H Hall building. Plenty of darkness in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What's with the continual use of the word "glass" as a derogitory term when referring to new buildings? It's perplexing, as if letting light into a building/office/apartment is some awful thing. Particularly in Ireland where we get little sunlight as it is.

Do some just want concrete blocks with tiny windows or what? We should make more buildings like the R&H Hall building. Plenty of darkness in there.

No they want dark hovels with solid walls and a slit for a window and no floors, just muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I see both sides of this argument.
    The Sextant is a nice building. It's of local significance but not of huge interest architecturally.

The eastern city centre is in danger of becoming a hodgepodge of mid-size generic buildings. Encouraging 4-8 storey development in clusters in the near suburbs has far more potential than building a few vanity project glass towers in the city centre while allowing the sea of low-rise development in the suburbs to continue to stretch out to Glanmire, Carrigaline, Ballincollig and beyond.

I would like the Sextant building retained. It has a fairly small footprint anyway and a more imaginative development might find a way to incorporate it or to build around it.

Who says that tall city centre buildings are the only way to address the housing crisis? It’s one of many solutions. How is this a vanity project? This is a private developer maximizing returns on a small site. There are quite a few suburban mid density apartment proposals, almost all have faced massive protests. The Greens also opposed the Glanmire apartment development and their go to line was that tall apartment buildings should be clustered in the docklands, they are now two for two in publically opposing the very developments they proposed themselves. It’s classic populist NIMBYism

Which allows more tourists who spend money in local economy, still a win

Yes I agree. We're on the same page here, I'm hoping it goes ahead too. Just wanted to clarify that all apartments won't be available to buy/rent. I think Penrose dock is similar too.

There's definitely a market for managed company apartments in Cork. You see similar apartments in Dublin that go for over 3k a month - still works out cheaper for companies over a hotel stay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I had a few drinks in the Sextant once and for that reason I think it should be preserved just as it is forever.

I had a few drinks in the Sextant once and for that reason I think it should be preserved just as it is forever.

We could put a plaque on the wall for posterity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

opus wrote: »
    Spotted a planning notice on the former religious (of some sort!) building next to Bishop Lucey park on South Main St for conversion to retail at ground floor & two overhead apartments.

Curious little building, I remember reading this last year:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/cork-city-church-seeks-enlightened-buyer-with-300k-to-spend-1.3425254

It's the former 'Christian Science' building, built in 1982 and paid for by Dunnes Stores, when Dunnes purchased their original premises on Bowling Green St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted this bit of demolition on John St (behind the Heineken brewery) when I was out for a jog yesterday. Apartments I assume.

484027.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

opus wrote: »
    Spotted this bit of demolition on John St (behind the Heineken brewery) when I was out for a jog yesterday. Apartments I assume.

484027.jpg

Is that by the bottom of John st where it meets Cathedral Walk?

Advertisement