Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Apartment living is not attractive as, up to now, there has not really been a need for such. We have the one of (perhaps the very) lowest population densities in Europe and very small cities.

It's only recently with 2 parents working and proliferation of cars do we see the choking of our cities, which will push people to higher density (coupled with the crazy lack of house building)

Also, up to now, our apartments have been disgracefully built with extremely light touch regulation and social needs.

I think that there is a primary school in Middle Parish and another on South Douglas Street. Can not think of any more.

The apartments that have been built have been fairly shîte for family living, poor access to green/communal spaces, coupled with Irish families not wanting to live in apartments.
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg?!

The apartments that have been built have been fairly shîte for family living, poor access to green/communal spaces, coupled with Irish families not wanting to live in apartments.
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg?!

Ballymun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ballymun?

Ballymun is what not to do all right, not only from design, but everything. but its a bit different from high density beside existing services.
    Massive greenfield development of 1000s units, but no services (shops etc.) when built, a couple KM outside city. Miles from anything.
    As tenants couldnt buy flats when circumstances improved, they moved out, leaving just social dependants, and the resulting antisocial problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

JCD clearly stated that the Sextant tower plan was due to companies giving out about their staff finding it hard to find accommodation. IMO he was referring particularly to Apple and the large number of young foreign staff. In this case why would schools in the area matter. This type of accommodation will never really be for a family with kids.

Ballymun is what not to do all right, not only from design, but everything. but its a bit different from high density beside existing services.
    Massive greenfield development of 1000s units, but no services (shops etc.) when built, a couple KM outside city. Miles from anything.
    As tenants couldnt buy flats when circumstances improved, they moved out, leaving just social dependants, and the resulting antisocial problems

Oh I know anf I think it's a reason why Ireland hates apartments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

JCD clearly stated that the Sextant tower plan was due to companies giving out about their staff finding it hard to find accommodation. IMO he was referring particularly to Apple and the large number of young foreign staff. In this case why would schools in the area matter. This type of accommodation will never really be for a family with kids.

Also one or two of the other faangs possibly moving in across the way at their own development in Penrose Dock. Phase two of Navigation Square is really coming along now but still no tenant announcement, they seem to be struggling a bit. I’d say OCP will be done with office for a while once they get out of this, they just don’t seem to have the connections that JCD and BAM do. The Ballincollig office developerment looks nearly done too and no announcement there either, though the local media has completely ignored that development from the start so there could well be something in the background.

Nothing on the two massive student developments out past UCC or on the York St hotel. Despite the insane level of construction going on in the docks, no major projects have started in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

These PT projects will cause loads of similar of protests in urban areas and the politicians will be surely tested to get them through. May need to increase capacity in ABP and take the decision making out of local councillors. Part 8s are no good for anything controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Just read one of the signs being held up by one of the children. "Down with the threats of the NTA, our community killed like Du Plantier". What kind of a shower are they? So disrespectful. I hope they bulldoze all the gardens out there.

Is anyone surprised by people fighting to protect their gardens?
    And it is not just their garden, they will go from having heavy traffic 15-20M away to pretty much outside their windows. That makes a huge difference

If someone came to me and said "I'm taking several metres of your garden, and replacing it with a multi lane road now up to your window" I can tell you that my response would not be polite. So while I fully agree that the widening has to happen, I would be less than truthful if I said that I don't totally understand their objections.

Do we need the road widened, as a city? Yes
    Does that mean that those impacted are being needlessly stubborn? Not really

As much as we give out about the NIMBY activist it's so much easier for those of us not impacted to roll our eyes and complain about them.
    Are we, say, a GIIBY (Grand If It's Your Backyard)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I don't really understand what the locals in Wilton want. Other than "No Change", obviously, but that's not possible.

They want to reduce traffic outside their homes and protect their gardens at the same time, but CPO'ing their gardens IS the effort to reduce traffic, and many of the gardens are currently used for parking numerous cars in the first place.

Perhaps a one-way system could be viable, if council simultaneously CPO a strip of Pres RFC and came out into Roger Casement Park. Seems like a bad solution for everyone east of Wilton Road though.

From reading the background documents of CMATS ("Supporting Measures") it looks like a congestion charge should be brought in ASAP.

Is anyone surprised by people fighting to protect their gardens?
    And it is not just their garden, they will go from having heavy traffic 15-20M away to pretty much outside their windows. That makes a huge difference

If someone came to me and said "I'm taking several metres of your garden, and replacing it with a multi lane road now up to your window" I can tell you that my response would not be polite. So while I fully agree that the widening has to happen, I would be less than truthful if I said that I don't totally understand their objections.

Do we need the road widened, as a city? Yes
    Does that mean that those impacted are being needlessly stubborn? Not really

As much as we give out about the NIMBY activist it's so much easier for those of us not impacted to roll our eyes and complain about them.
    Are we, say, a GIIBY (Grand If It's Your Backyard)?

Did you see the plan? It's to put in cycle lanes on the outside and then bus lanes. The heavy traffic will be in the same place it is now. And many of the "gardens" are used to park cars.

And the residents would also be on possibly the best bus route in the city, all subsidised by the city.

I agree that they've reason to be aggrieved BTW, just that the picture you paint isn't 100% accurate.

From reading the background documents of CMATS ("Supporting Measures") it looks like a congestion charge should be brought in ASAP.

How do you congestion charge a suburb next to the main hospital in the south of the country though and right between two huge colleges and the FAS training school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I think this group is headed up by the same man who was in the paper recently objecting to the redevelopment of Wilton shopping centre because there was no "infrastructure" for the traffic. When I rented there petitions would go around every so often for various things, no HGVs, no traffic during rush hour etc

Did you see the plan? It's to put in cycle lanes on the outside and then bus lanes. The heavy traffic will be in the same place it is now. And many of the "gardens" are used to park cars.

And the residents would also be on possibly the best bus route in the city, all subsidised by the city.

I agree that they've reason to be aggrieved BTW, just that the picture you paint isn't 100% accurate.

It's still bringing traffic closer no matter which way it's swung.

I'd have little/no sympathy if there was a CPO option on the entire property TBH

How do you congestion charge a suburb next to the main hospital in the south of the country though and right between two huge colleges and the FAS training school?

Let's start by saying
    I know nothing whatsoever about implementing congestion charges.
    Then
    CMATS study says it would reduce motorised traffic by a significant amount.

But anyway, the point:
    Wilton Road's not really a suburb: exactly as you say it's right between all these major trip generators. At a guess it'd be the prime place to start with a congestion charge.
    It's on possibly the best bus route in the country. And most people from outside the city do not use Wilton Road to access CUH. Most of them do not use Wilton Road to access UCC or CIT either. It's primarily used for people to get to the city centre from the west, and for people to cross the city between North and South.

It's still bringing traffic closer no matter which way it's swung.

I'd have little/no sympathy if there was a CPO option on the entire property TBH

Yeah traffic is closer, but it's primarily (only?) bicycles.
    The bus (every 15 mins) will be effectively in the same place it is now. And it's specifically NOT HGV's, or heavy traffic.

The bus (every 15 mins) will be effectively in the same place it is now. And it's specifically NOT HGV's, or heavy traffic.

I've got an answer to all this anyway :D:D
    Build the bloody North Ring Road.

Most of that traffic is stuck because of the traffic backlog going towards Wellington bridge, going up towards Sunday's Well.

Most of that traffic is stuck because of the traffic backlog going towards Wellington bridge, going up towards Sunday's Well.

I'd agree. North Ring Road + Congestion Charge should drop traffic on Wilton Road dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

In fairness Cork County Council's redesign of the road is a shambles, regardless of the resident's gardens, the NTA will have to redesign it properly. Basically the council are attempting to create 2 car lanes where possible, and then give secondary consideration to bus and bikes. The NTA will do the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

So, the residents are losing a significant portion of their family property to facilitate the private transport choice of a small minority?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

If someone came to me and said "I'm taking several metres of your garden, and replacing it with a multi lane road now up to your window" I can tell you that my response would not be polite.

Would getting a nice tax free lump of compensation money help ease the pain?

Would getting a nice tax free lump of compensation money help ease the pain?

Not necessarily to be honest. At my age I can happily move and not have it an issue, as long as my move to a similar property does not leave me out of pocket. That's why there should be a full CPO option if they are impacting drastically.

Were I in my 60's and my entire life worth of family memories? I'd be a curmudgeon to be bloody honest.

I'd agree. North Ring Road + Congestion Charge should drop traffic on Wilton Road dramatically.

This Is what I would get behind. Give alternatives and then implement a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Not necessarily to be honest. At my age I can happily move and not have it an issue, as long as my move to a similar property does not leave me out of pocket. That's why there should be a full CPO option if they are impacting drastically.

Were I in my 60's and my entire life worth of family memories? I'd be a curmudgeon to be bloody honest.

Surely being told your garden is going to be affected (by as much as a few meters) automatically makes it a CPO. I'm pretty sure any affected NIMBYs get a nice chunk of dough for their troubles. I'm open to correction on that.

Surely being told your garden is going to be affected automatically makes it a CPO. I'm pretty sure any affected NIMBYs get a nice chunk of dough for their troubles. I'm open to correction on that.

I mean the whole property. Buy me out of my house and I'm happy, again I'm still at the age where a move isn't going to overly bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Just read one of the signs being held up by one of the children. "Down with the threats of the NTA, our community killed like Du Plantier". What kind of a shower are they? So disrespectful. I hope they bulldoze all the gardens out there.

Yeah, what the hell is that about??!!

From the very small sample of pictures it looks to be retired folk getting their grandkids to do the protesting for them.....devaluing their own inheritance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

RINO87 wrote: »

From the very small sample of pictures it looks to be retired folk getting their grandkids to do the protesting for them.....devaluing their own inheritance!!

Makes a better photo to hurd in the grandkids from all over than to admit you don't want to lose your parking income for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

to admit you don't want to lose your parking income for the greater good.

I agree with the need for the road widening in principle but where exactly do ye all think the residents cars are now going to be parked? That is a high congestion area with the hospital staff / patients / visitors looking for parking as well.

For that matter a lot of those houses are house shares for medical staff and students, they all have a car each so four to six cars per house, depending on bedroom numbers. Do you think these cars will magically disappear? Think of the practicalities of living there when you go home outside the city at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Cos, yeah spending mega billions (and it will be) to increase car use is exactly what the city needs... (although, making wilton road wider will do little to nothing for traffic coming from the North city...)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement