Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Councillors give 2 fingers to public transport. The NTA might get around to it in about 20 years going by the CMATS timescales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Limerick74 wrote: »
    @corkcitycouncil: Wilton bus corridor Part 8 project voted down by Elected Members: 16 no vs. 8 yes.. #corkcc

Do we have a split on councillors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Huge news this morning. OCP are after buying 31 acres of the South Docks for €47m. Things could really kick on now. Possibly a new tower on the way also.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Huge news this morning. OCP are after buying 31 acres of the South Docks for €47m. Things could really kick on now. Possibly a new tower on the way also.

Where’s that site?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Looks to be Odlums and R&H Hall area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

okedoke wrote: »
    Where’s that site?

I haven't seen the exact location, but it's cited as "South Cork Docklands". The sale is by Origin Enterprises so that may be an indicator. I don't know where they have a site down there.

EDIT: Nigel got in before me and with more info ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

okedoke wrote: »
    Where’s that site?

Odlums and R&H hall along Kennedy key as far as but not including Franciscan well brewery, I believe. Basically next big chunk of waterfront.

Previous docklands development plan indicated a preference to fill block by block, so this would be the next site for strategic development as the Navigation Square block fills up.

Definite statement of intent and could easily land a thousand apartments down here with a boardwalk extension

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Where’s that site?

Excellent news. Need sustainable transport down that neck of the woods now. Although based on last night's performance by the councillors on the Wilton farce, public transport is way down the priority list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Excellent news. Need sustainable transport down that neck of the woods now. Although based on last night's performance by the councillors on the Wilton farce, public transport is way down the priority list.

Need moar cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I’m interested in finding out how Councillors voted, especially our Green Party representatives.

I’m interested in finding out how Councillors voted, especially our Green Party representatives.

Greens and SF voted for it. FFG and independents against.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

South docks are ideal for high rise, their shadows would be cast on the Lee, and the fish can't object.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

cgcsb wrote: »
    South docks are ideal for high rise, their shadows would be cast on the Lee, and the fish can't object.

An Taisce will! Ruin the vista's of the historic R&H building or something!

Great that it's OCP as they usually mean business.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

cgcsb wrote: »

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Great news about Kennedy quay development. That whole area is an absolute hole at the moment. Badly needs development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Kennedy Quay is the site in the Cork Docklands, even more so than the Port of Cork and Tivoli, really exciting to see

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

that's it. I'm moving to Cork. Taking a punt on the place becoming a decent, place with amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

MrDerp wrote: »
    Odlums and R&H hall along Kennedy key as far as but not including Franciscan well brewery, I believe. Basically next big chunk of waterfront.

Previous docklands development plan indicated a preference to fill block by block, so this would be the next site for strategic development as the Navigation Square block fills up.

Definite statement of intent and could easily land a thousand apartments down here with a boardwalk extension

Isn't most of that Quay (at least the bit right on the water,) on concrete stilts already?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Great news but from the examiner article there seems like there's going to be a lot of conditions attached to building there? Would these conditions be minor or could it end up delaying any plans that OCP have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Let's hope that the development includes a bridge across to the railway station, it's not everything but itd be a start.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Let's hope that the development includes a bridge across to the railway station, it's not everything but itd be a start.

There won't be a bridge anyway. That would be public infrastructure and as we've seen public transport/infrastructure projects in Cork are non-existent. Thankfully the private sector continue to invest but Cork has been long abandoned from a large scale public transport infrastructure perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

This is great news on the dockland development
    Only walked down there the other evening for a wander
    I suppose other large sites like the southern milling gang must be sitting on a goldmine and will be moving as well in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

leahyl wrote: »
    Great news but from the examiner article there seems like there's going to be a lot of conditions attached to building there? Would these conditions be minor or could it end up delaying any plans that OCP have?

Conditions should not be anything too strange.
    The whole area is supposed to be working to a general master plan and OCP have access to that, so they should be able to design with these in mind.

I imagine the city will push for very little parking etc.

I imagine the city will push for very little parking etc.

While opposing public transport measures. And government will continue to ignore the absolute necessity to accelerate the timelines to implement CMATS immediately!

On another note where exactly are the South Docks and Tivoli Local Area Plans at. Weren't they supposed to be published last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Dbu wrote: »
    This is great news on the dockland development
    Only walked down there the other evening for a wander
    I suppose other large sites like the southern milling gang must be sitting on a goldmine and will be moving as well in time?

Southern Milling is on this site right? As each development is built and filled up the value will increase downstream. The marquee/ford site was bought by Glenveagh for 15 million and there is talk of them building 1,000 apartments on site, it's gone quiet over the last year though. The ESB site is in process of closing down and will almost certainly be sold on for development. I'm not sure who owns the Franciscan Well brewery land but I imagine that they will be moved on if these developments actually happen. One thing you can be sure of is that any site which rely's on public investment will be the last to be completed, so expect Tivoli to be done sometime around 2150 about a century or so after the rest of docklands are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Hopefully the old Odlums building will get redeveloped as it could be fantastic. Definitely worth preserving unlike the Sextant :) (imho)

mainMediaSize=600x0_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

While opposing public transport measures. And government will continue to ignore the absolute necessity to accelerate the timelines to implement CMATS immediately!

On another note where exactly are the South Docks and Tivoli Local Area Plans at. Weren't they supposed to be published last year.

The two LAPs have stiil not been published. It was assumed that the Docklands Tower would not go for planning until the South Docks LAP was published, which still hasn't happened.

Now that the development has moved east of Albert Quay it's paramount they are published. Along with advancements of the Docklands road infrastructure (lol)

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    The two LAPs have stiil not been published. It was assumed that the Docklands Tower would not go for planning until the South Docks LAP was published, which still hasn't happened.

Now that the development has moved east of Albert Quay it's paramount they are published. Along with advancements of the Docklands road infrastructure (lol)

Find an article from the Examiner dated June 2017 saying the LAPs would be published in February 2018. :pac:

Advertisement