Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I for one will be one less car on the road if they ever decide to build the Carrigtwohill west train station. Plenty of my colleagues will do the same.
    For feic sake like, I can see the train pass along the tracks from the office window! Some low hanging fruit right there when it comes to public transport but alas, car comes first in Ireland.

To give you even lower hanging fruit, they could build a pathway beside the rail line from the current station to the proposed station location.

It would be a 500m walk for you.
    It would cost very little.
    It was specifically in the Cork Cycle Network Plan.
    I won't horrify you with it's specific current status, but let's just say council aren't thinking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

To give you even lower hanging fruit, they could build a pathway beside the rail line from the current station to the proposed station location.

I won't horrify you with it's specific current status, but let's just say council aren't thinking like that.

Would you believe that I have actually walked the fields to see if this is viable in its current state! It's not really but not much work is needed to actually make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Another shiny plan with zero intention of being implemented. Just like CMATS and a while host of other plans that have come and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Apogee wrote: »
    https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Corks-derelict-sites-are-worth-20-million-ae58db65-ee71-497c-923c-ea557c9800fb-ds

Not sure how significant it is, but St Kevin's 14 acre site is no longer listed on Daft or Lisney websites.

stKevinsAsylumSite_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-468579
    Echo wrote:
    COMMUNITIES in Sunday’s Well and Shanakiel must be consulted if proposals for a large-scale housing project at the landmark St Kevin’s Hospital site are to be successful, it has been warned.The red brick St Kevin’s Hospital, overlooking Lee Rd, is in the ownership of the Land Development Agency after it was put up for sale by the HSE for €2.95m. Details of the deal to acquire the 14-acre site have not been made available.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/St-Kevins-Hospital-to-become-large-scale-housing-project-amid-fears-of-backlash-from-nearby-residents-34f7498d-47a8-4979-ba5f-4a1944fb8840-ds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Why would they not just leave the Sextant as is? Would create a nice bit of character beside the new buildings and hardly taking up loads of space. Could see it being very popular for people working in the new office complexes for a drink after 5.00pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Why would they not just leave the Sextant as is? Would create a nice bit of character beside the new buildings and hardly taking up loads of space. Could see it being very popular for people working in the new office complexes for a drink after 5.00pm

Because its of zero architectural significance to a brand new rejuvenated area of Cork. Not one person has ever passed the Sextant and thought about its "character".

CHealy wrote: »
    Because its of zero architectural significance to a brand new rejuvenated area of Cork. Not one person has ever passed the Sextant and thought about its "character".

Well whatever about architectural significance, it is an art deco facade kind of matching the train station down the road. So I think it's a mistake by the developer not to try to keep it (the facade), personally.

The new "glass boxes" that are everywhere are fairly boring looking. I suspect we'll look at a lot of them in 20 years time and think there was a lack of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

á la The Ferryman in the IFSC on John Rogerson's Quay. Looks out of place but definitely fits in because of it. Plus it's hopping most days

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

snotboogie wrote: »
    Coming at the end of the month. Pretty decent update this time I think, unlike Q1 where essentially nothing happened. Still no major project started in 2019 though but I think there is a good chance of a massive flurry of activity starting at the end of Q3.

Not to sound like i'm entitled to your free time or anything, but was the Q2 update posted? I've scanned through the last months posts and couldn't see it.

Very much appreciate the effort you put into them.

Absolute codswallop. It's a characterful building that has always been admired as such by plenty of people.

• Advertisement

Absolute codswallop. It's a characterful building that has always been admired as such by plenty of people.

All of a sudden............

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Exactly. A few friends of mine have gone "Oh no, not the Sextant", but they haven't passed it or gone there in a few years. It's just a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Not to sound like i'm entitled to your free time or anything, but was the Q2 update posted? I've scanned through the last months posts and couldn't see it.

Very much appreciate the effort you put into them.

No problem at all, I title the updates based on the time period that has passed between the last update, think of it as "what happened in Q1". So April was the Q1 update and July (ahem) will be the Q2 update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

á la The Ferryman in the IFSC on John Rogerson's Quay. Looks out of place but definitely fits in because of it. Plus it's hopping most days

In fairness, they're incomparable.

One is like a dolls house, a beautiful well preserved, red brick Georgian building with a pub. The other, well, looks like an ugly blue yoke:

2i1ffvp.jpg

A few friends of mine have gone "Oh no, not the Sextant", but they haven't passed it or gone there in a few years.

Fascinating.
    wrote:
    It's just a pub.

You understand that it's the facade that people are discussing right?

In fairness, they're incomparable.
    One is like a dolls house, a beautiful well preserved, red brick Georgian building with a pub. The other, well, looks like an ugly blue yoke:

The ugliest thing in that picture is the brand new Navigation Square building.

A woeful combination of bland design with a hideous, decadent cheapo-looking viewing area across the top. Will age poorly.

On the other hand, One Albert Quay is an example of a modern office building done right.

I maintain that the new developments would benefit greatly from keeping the Sextant as is. Adds character and does not take up too much space.

Whether some lad who never gave the Sextant a second thought before and whose friends all drink in Canty's says otherwise is a point of indifference to me. Plenty of people are aware of the Sexton and look favorably on the building, and no amount of historical revisionism will change that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Exactly. A few friends of mine have gone "Oh no, not the Sextant", but they haven't passed it or gone there in a few years. It's just a pub.

spot on.

The same people who have just come to the conclusion the sextant should be saved on some nonsense of nostalgia had no objections to finer building knocked down in the past.
    no problem with St Kevins which is a vastly superior building possibly hauled down for a housing estate.

go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Speak for yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

You understand that it's the facade that people are discussing right?
    Yes. You do understand I can add to the discussion without having you in mind. It's a pub in an ugly boring blue building.
    Fascinating.
    :confused:
    Fascinating addition to the discussion.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Speak for yourself!

Are you in the 'all of a sudden' crew aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are you in the 'all of a sudden' crew aswell?
    Just pointing out that you can't speak for everyone. I made my feelings clear a while back but have been away so couldn't engage much. Always liked that building, disagree that it's architecturally or culturally insignificant, and posted supporting links to the Architectural survey of Ireland, but ultimately if it would be too difficult to integrate into a new development would accept the loss of it.

I highly disagree with the sentiment that people are just jumping on the save it bandwagon because they don't like high rise, in some sort of effort to discredit them.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just pointing out that you can't speak for everyone. I made my feelings clear a while back but have been away so couldn't engage much. Always liked that building, disagree that it's architecturally or culturally insignificant, and posted supporting links to the Architectural survey of Ireland, but ultimately if it would be too difficult to integrate into a new development would accept the loss of it.

I highly disagree with the sentiment that people are just jumping on the save it bandwagon because they don't like high rise, in some sort of effort to discredit them.

I'm in favour of the high rise in that location and I think the Sextant facade should have been kept.
    I don't really care one way or the other about the pub, it's irrelevant to me. It has little to do with nostalgia: i don't drink there and I wasn't around when it was first built.

Similarly I believe that the Odlums building facade should be kept. Not sure what will happen with that.

The ugliest thing in that picture is the brand new Navigation Square building.

A woeful combination of bland design with a hideous, decadent cheapo-looking viewing area across the top. Will age poorly.

On the other hand, One Albert Quay is an example of a modern office building done right.

I maintain that the new developments would benefit greatly from keeping the Sextant as is. Adds character and does not take up too much space.

Whether some lad who never gave the Sextant a second thought before and whose friends all drink in Canty's says otherwise is a point of indifference to me. Plenty of people are aware of the Sexton and look favorably on the building, and no amount of historical revisionism will change that.

I dont disagree navigation house is butt ugly!

But the only (mildly) intetesting aspect of the sextant is the front angled face and entrance and window (2nd/3rd floor) cornices and eaves.

Look at the hideous ground floor windows. jesus wept, no effort. Its such an architecturally significant building it spent some considerable time under a Jameson sign.

They could incorporate some aspects of it into a new design possibly, but as the event centre shows, civic minded design not a forte here.

Similarly I believe that the Odlums building facade should be kept. Not sure what will happen with that.

Deffo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I quite like the look of the sexta

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I quite like the look of the Sextant, especially in its shocking blue, I could maybe see the worth of trying to keep it, if it was going to be surrounded by 4 or 5 storey buildings,
    Not so keen on it being incorporated into a 15 or 20 storey tower, that's going to fill that whole block... But if the designers can come up with a decent way of incorporating it then great...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Christ what a joke this is. Proposal for that site to accommodate badly needed high density city apartments during a housing crisis and the 'We love the Sextant' brigade suddenly arise. Oh that's an important building! Says the person who probably literally forgot it existed until someone told them there was plans to build on the site. Same oul craic with the Port of Cork warehouses that have been sitting rotten for decades and nobody gave a sh!te about them... until developers showed interest in the site.

:rolleyes:

There is absolutely nothing about the sextant building that even remotely makes me have a quick think about maybe not knocking it. Get rid, Cork city needs the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

But the only (mildly) intetesting aspect of the sextant is the front angled face and entrance and window (2nd/3rd floor) cornices and eaves.

Look at the hideous ground floor windows. jesus wept, no effort. Its such an architecturally significant building it spent some considerable time under a Jameson sign.

At this rate we’ll be seeing a ‘Save Moore’s Hotel’ campaign whenever plans get released for that development

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

sheff_ wrote: »
    At this rate we’ll be seeing a ‘Save Moore’s Hotel’ campaign whenever plans get released for that development

The “save R&H Hall” crowd are probably getting mobilized too with the news on Tuesday

Advertisement