Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

sheff_ wrote: »
    At this rate we’ll be seeing a ‘Save Moore’s Hotel’ campaign whenever plans get released for that development

I'll have you know that's a beautiful and historically significant building.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

marno21 wrote: »
    The “save R&H Hall” crowd are probably getting mobilized too with the news on Tuesday

But thats a gorgeous building! The beautiful greyness, windowless, concrete slab adds character to the docklands and the city has been build around that! Destroying it will destroy the entire character of the city! The grey next to the river just looks so.. elegant and is a brilliant example of Corks history!

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Lads could you try not to be so dismissive of and openly mock people who are only voicing their genuine opinion. Everyone's thoughts have value.

It's not 'knock it and build all the tall shiny buildings' vs 'keep all the old buildings never make progress especially not high rise', people are more intelligent than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

TheChizler wrote: »
    people are more intelligent than that.

Are you sure? Leaving An Taisce aside there is an anti development spirit amongst a lot of people in the city when anything new gets proposed. Scared of change!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

Lads could you try not to be so dismissive of and openly mock people who are only voicing their genuine opinion. Everyone's thoughts have value.

It's not 'knock it and build all the tall shiny buildings' vs 'keep all the old buildings never make progress especially not high rise', people are more intelligent than that.

This is true. But really a wedge out of one corner is about the only thing of significance in the sextant building. Between Victoria Road roundabout and union quay the Phoenix/Charlie’s/the lobby, City Hall, the 2 old train stations and the entire row from the idle hour up to the roundabout look like they’re going nowhere. It’s not like the sextant is the last of its kind even in that locality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are you sure? Leaving An Taisce aside there is an anti development spirit amongst a lot of people in the city when anything new gets proposed. Scared of change!
    Well I'd be prepared to rephrase as 'most' people are more intelligent than that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

[ Same oul craic with the Port of Cork warehouses that have been sitting rotten for decades and nobody gave a sh!te about them... until developers showed interest in the site.

:rolleyes:
    .[/quote]

Well somebody must give a ****e, they're listed, and there was quite a issue over the removal of the slate veranda / overhang,
    And just because something is allowed to become derelict and unused doesn't mean it should be demolished,
    Yes they're gonna be difficult to repurpose, and that's reflected in the price paid...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Markcheese wrote: »
    Well somebody must give a ****e, they're listed
    That counts as giving a ****e?
    Add to a list, let rot away. Wait for someone else to really give a ****e, come up with an actual plan and finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's opposite to what was originally flagged. The tower now is on top of the custom House building instead of on the end of the site.

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Looks fantastic tbh.

Queue the objections in 3...2....

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

It will be great for the area, and yes no doubt some numpty will object, there's always at least 1 who will suggest it be left as is and opened as a museum for Cork flags of the middle parish or some other absurd idea. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

But thats a gorgeous building! The beautiful greyness, windowless, concrete slab adds character to the docklands and the city has been build around that! Destroying it will destroy the entire character of the city! The grey next to the river just looks so.. elegant and is a brilliant example of Corks history!

/s

https://twitter.com/savecorkcity/status/1112683675135680514

That is a far better proposal than those early renders released two years ago. I'm extremely happy with that

An Taisce will have a field day now what with the building now on top of the custom House. As well as any other number of cranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I really hope they get this built. It would be a real landmark building.

As far as I'm aware, these lads haven't got a proven record of building in Ireland yet do they?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    An Taisce will have a field day now what with the building now on top of the custom House. As well as any other number of cranks.

I thinks it's best to accept now that this will be appealed and delayed. It is what it is. I think that this will ultimately get through the planning process, by the time ABP get their hands on this they will have already approved The Prism and hopefully the JCD Tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's opposite to what was originally flagged. The tower now is on top of the custom House building instead of on the end of the site.

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

I think that looks absolutely stunning - love the way they have incorporated the Custom House with it!! Got a flutter of excitement there when I saw it! I really hope this gets the green light.

The comments on the Echo Facebook post for this are embarrassing but sadly representative of a large number of people in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The comments on the Echo Facebook post for this are embarrassing but sadly representative of a large number of people in Cork.

Can't believe some people; they are keeping the historic buildings and they're still not happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Facebook is no place to be trying to have level headed discussions about anything of importance. Facebook has no bearing on the planning outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Don't forget it's always the negative crowd that will make it their business to go online and shout loudest! Plenty out there (I hope) that would love to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If I could thank this 100 times, I would.

Of course developers want to knock everything old and build new. Because it's the only way? Because it's the best way?
    It is in its shlte!
    It's the cheapest way.

All you mockers who have no regard for older buildings unless they are classical play right into the hands of developers.
    You can have progress and development and conservation all at the same time. Yes, some buildings need to go for the sake of progress but there needs to be a grown up discussion on what can be kept and what should be kept.

Developers are in the business to make money. That's their job. They are not here to do what is best for the city. We need a grown up debate, not a polarised slagging match.

It would be a travesty to let the stone vaults at the Port of Cork /Cork Bonded Warehouse go. I can't believe people are being sagged off for wanting to preserve this architectural gem. I am all in favour of tower and redevelopment of this site.

I think, with good design, there could be merit in keeping the Sextant building. I am also in favour of developing this site.

Now here's one for you. I love the R&H Hall building. I just do. However, I get it that others find it ugly. I don't mock them for this. I'd love to see it repuposed but I suspect I'll never get to see this.

So, can we have a less black and white, mature discussion with an understanding that wanting to preserve architecture of varied types is not, necessarily, anti development and anti progress?

And yes, there are people at each extreme but forcing people to be one or the other is no good for anyone.

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

I think the new Custom House proposal is excellent - incorporates the old building, leaves the bonded warehouses largely intact, also leaves that area relatively open as a civic space and creates a real landmark building.

On the R&H hall - it may be ugly but it's still quite iconic and with the Odlums building is central to the docklands heritage. I would like to see it maintained or integrated in new developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I'm not exactly sure how you re-purpose R&H Hall. It's useful because it's height sets precedence, but outside of that, it'll just have to go.

On Odlums, yeah, that's a building that must and will stay.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    I think the new Custom House proposal is excellent - incorporates the old building, leaves the bonded warehouses largely intact, also leaves that area relatively open as a civic space and creates a real landmark building.

On the R&H hall - it may be ugly but it's still quite iconic and with the Odlums building is central to the docklands heritage. I would like to see it maintained or integrated in new developments.

R&H Hall re-purposing would be farcically expensive, unless there is monster money from overseas waiting to pour into the project I don't see how it would be feasible. I would agree that in an ideal scenario R&H Hall would be included in the new development, something like this conversion in South Africa but I don't see where that sort of money comes from? The Odlums building is protected and can't be knocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

With all these developments happening, I just can't get my head around how the government can justify doing nothing at all to improve transport in Cork between now and 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

cgcsb wrote: »
    With all these developments happening, I just can't get my head around how the government can justify doing nothing at all to improve transport in Cork between now and 2030.

probably because they know pigs will fly before most of them actually get built to be honest and CMATS was nothing more than a junket :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

All you mockers who have no regard for older buildings unless they are classical play right into the hands of developers.
    People who don't have the same point of view as you aren't playing into anyone hand, they are voicing their opinion (which you wish to thank 100 times).

I have no problem with the desire to retain buildings of value, but the uproar over the Sextant alienates people who otherwise may have sympathy with such a cause (similar to the way An Taisce have become a joke); which is one way to play into developers hands.

Yes, developers are in the business to make money, greed if you like. But people also need housing to live and places to work. The greed to consistently object to such developments (for their own self desires) isn't in the best interests of the city or it's people either.

Personally I think the R&H Hall is an ugly monolith that presents an eyesore for those who past by it on the way into the city. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Re-purposing would be great, but as per snotboogie, unfeasible.

Maybe there's some people that are mocking all older buildings, but I haven't seen that here (acknowledging that I do have some on ignore).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

snotboogie wrote: »
    can't be knocked.

I hope you're right. We have seen "difficult" buildings go bump in the night all too often.

I'm with others here in hoping that we could have a more mature discussion than "keep/knock everything". I think the Sextant facade is nicer than many of the identikit new buildings. I agree it's not an art deco masterpiece but it's not completely worthless architecture either.

I'd like to see some of the ESB turbine hall re-purposed Battersea-style. It's not an architectural gem, but would possibly make a good events building. R&H hall I'd say is possibly too narrow and tall to be useful for anything like that.

Advertisement