Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

The proposed tower and the redevelopment of the warehouses looks fantastic IMHO. Much better than the original proposal. Great incorporation of the past with the future. If this can go ahead it would become a symbol for Cork. Considering the 25 proposed tower across the road with the re-use of the old train station it's a great mix of modern and the past. Lets hope both get built along with the Prism.

C_e I think there would be very very few people who would share the same passion for what is basically a concrete block akin to something you would see near Chernobyl. Seriously if that becomes a 'thing' as in a group is formed to protect it? I don't know... I give up.:confused:

Its a whingers paradise these days in Cork city with all these horrific plans for massive infrastructure investment. Disgraceful!

I mean I would actually support any group fighting towards maintaining the Oldums in any nee development but a mass concrete grain silo?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I really can't see why anyone would object to this tbh.

It includes full restorative redevelopment of the bonded warehouses, brings life into the area, a new microdistillery where the 40 storey tower was to go, the new hotel and apartments in the 34 storey building, and all close to the expanding CBD and the train station, along with the N8.

With the abolition of building heights and the coming on stream of the Prism, JCD Albert Quay etc, new buildings won't be stopped, they'll just be delayed. And if they are delayed, there really are no winners in such a scenario.

I think this has a real good chance of happening too. These guys don't seem like flippers after a quick buck given the effort gone into this so far. It more seems to me like two fellas from the region who had to emigrate for work and now are returning after making their money to leave their mark on their nearest home city. This really is a wonderful development and it was well worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A building of that scale is gonna end up being an an Bord plánála job anyway, they'll know a few floors off, and tweak it a bit, but there's not really much reason to refuse it (as long as its not compromising the current listed buildings),
    I think the tower looks far better at the western end of the site than the original proposal...
    Any one want to hazard a guess on timelines,? And Wether the prisim gets started first..?
    And How many new Hotels are proposed for cork at the moment? (Sullivans Quay, parnell place, custom House, throw in hogan's Quay, is there one in penrose Quay?)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

marno21 wrote: »
    I really can't see why anyone would object to this tbh.

Duck; Objections incoming!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

C_e I think there would be very very few people who would share the same passion for what is basically a concrete block akin to something you would see near Chernobyl. Seriously if that becomes a 'thing' as in a group is formed to protect it? I don't know... I give up.:confused:

Its a whingers paradise these days in Cork city with all these horrific plans for massive infrastructure investment. Disgraceful!

The save poolbeg campaign in Dublin might disagree with you. It's not totally abnormal to see value in some of these old industrial buildings.

Look I suspect that you're not a fan of brutalism (you're urgently needed up in UCC: the Kane building is calling out to be demolished). But IMO a lot of the newer buildings in Cork are terribly cheap looking. If you'll meet me half way, I feel about the Capitol the way you feel about R&H hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Whats the other tall building in the cgi pic I assume whats being built on horgans quay?

ofcork wrote: »
    Whats the other tall building in the cgi pic I assume whats being built on horgans quay?

I don't think so, going by Horgan's Quay website:
    http://www.hqcork.ie/

I think it's the prism one.
    https://theprismbuilding.ie/about/

The save poolbeg campaign in Dublin might disagree with you. It's not totally abnormal to see value in some of these old industrial buildings.

Look I suspect that you're not a fan of brutalism (you're urgently needed up in UCC: the Kane building is calling out to be demolished). But IMO a lot of the newer buildings in Cork are terribly cheap looking. If you'll meet me half way, I feel about the Capitol the way you feel about R&H hall.

I'm actually not against renovations on industrial buildings.

I know it's renovation is industry to industry but the Roe&Co distillery in StJames gate is perfect (and I hate giving Diageo credit for anything)

It's as stark a building as you'll get but it's damn beautiful.

I was in it when it was a dilapidated power station, change is remarkable

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0610/1054515-roe-co-distillery/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Looks like it could be the prism alright same developers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

What I am trying to say is that if we want good, attractive, sustainable development, it is the job of the city to impose this. If it is more expensive to preserve buildings, then developers will , naturally, rail against that. This is not a reason to not preserve old buildings. If we don't impose conditions on the developers we will end up with more Merchant's Quay monstrosities and an awful, soulless city.

No developer is developing for the public good - and nor would I expect them to.

This is why we need strong, joined up, enforceable, consistent planning.

Yup all well made points but as far as i'm concerned not applicable when referring to the Port of Cork warehouses and the Sextant site.

1. The POC warehouses are going to be incorporated into the tower development based on existing artists renderings. So what more do those objecting want? Don't see the beef here at all.

2. The Sextant is not historically significant, is not listed and IMO has no redeeming architectural features whatsoever that should merit sympathetic treatment. But as you implied each to their own. You think the R&H concrete silo is fantastic, I think its ugly, always have and don't know one single person who would claim otherwise.

Don't get me wrong. If a developer proposed a 30 storey high rise next to a beautiful and historically significant building i'd be the first to wade in. But in both cases here i'm not seeing enough to even make me blink.
    Lets hope both get built along with the Prism.

As far as I know the Prism is a definite green light. It has been approved and work will commence shortly. Open to correction on this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It is indeed the Prism. Both Tower Holdings developments of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Honestly, the mass concrete grain silo is hideous and it also towers over a very nice residential area at the end of the marina / Blackrock area.

If you want to pay tribute to the port's agrifood heritage, there are far better ways to do so than maintaining an ugly concrete block. I mean if you were to propose constructing that building now there would be absolute uproar. I think it speaks for a time when the city didn't care what it looked like and the port was treated shamefully with some of those structures.

It's also of a time when what should be parkland was turned into heavy industry under a ford motor plant and later a large power station, complete with coal and slag heaps.

Some of that stuff isn't worth preserving. There are a few brick facades, but seriously we are getting carried away with ourselves preserving a big concrete silo, the likes of which you'll find all over the place. It's neither unique nor does it bring anything to the area other than a depressing memory of a depressing 20th century run down port that was staring into a grim future.

Who's going to maintain a windowless concrete shell structure? It's not really going to have any purpose nor will it be able to be incorporated into any new development. You'll end up with a big ugly derelict grain silo in the middle of a modern cityscape.

Honestly, the mass concrete grain silo is hideous and it also towers over a very nice residential area at the end of the marina / Blackrock area.

If you want to pay tribute to the port's agrifood heritage, there are far better ways to do so than maintaining an ugly concrete block. I mean if you were to propose constructing that building now there would be absolute uproar. I think it speaks for a time when the city didn't care what it looked like and the port was treated shamefully with some of those structures.

You may be in for a rude awakening.

They're going to densely build tall cuboid concrete blocks throughout that area, according to the master plan.

And the thing you're currently considering ugly could end up being one of the only things that looks any bit unique.

Don't get me wrong, I personally don't see much value in R&H Hall being maintained, I just don't expect much better in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You may be in for a rude awakening.

They're going to densely build tall cuboid concrete blocks throughout that area, according to the master plan.

And the thing you're currently considering ugly could end up being one of the only things that looks any bit unique.

What master plan? It hasn't been released yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Markcheese wrote: »
    A building of that scale is gonna end up being an an Bord plánála job anyway, they'll know a few floors off, and tweak it a bit, but there's not really much reason to refuse it (as long as its not compromising the current listed buildings),
    I think the tower looks far better at the western end of the site than the original proposal...
    Any one want to hazard a guess on timelines,? And Wether the prisim gets started first..?
    And How many new Hotels are proposed for cork at the moment? (Sullivans Quay, parnell place, custom House, throw in hogan's Quay, is there one in penrose Quay?)

I'd say ground could be broke about 15 months from now if Tower Holdings are really serious, a more realistic timeline may be 24 months and then probably 3-4 years to build. The Prism is essentially ready to go now, Tower Holdings have said they will start before the end of the year.

Horgan's Quay hotel is under construction, Parnell Place may start this year, Sullivan's Quay is for sale and probably won't be built until the event centre is, no hotel on Penrose Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

There's nothing unique about it. Every port in Europe and North America had similar big ugly grain silos.

There'll be a massive problem maintaining that structure. Are you suggesting the City Council should maintain it out of tight budgets for amenities and public housing?

I can't see how it could be incorporated into any new development and you can't cut holes in a silo to create windows, as the structure is like a concrete tank. It would become unstable. So all you're left with is a big, windowless, concrete box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

namloc1980 wrote: »

He's referring to the Origin Holdings plan, which won't be followed by OCP.

Sorry I should have been clearer, you're right that the plan hasn't been released. But the scant detail that we have so far indicates that this area will be dense and will be high.
    Apogee wrote: »

snotboogie wrote: »
    He's referring to the Origin Holdings plan, which won't be followed by OCP.

Exactly, thanks.
    The general plan for the area is dense and high.

I'm not arguing to keep it: all I'm saying is not to criticise R&H Hall for being a tall concrete cuboid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

It's opposite to what was originally flagged. The tower now is on top of the custom House building instead of on the end of the site.

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

I love the buildings on the right. Are these the warehouses people are referring to? I always thought these could be re-developed into something like the Faneuil markets in Boston.

Loire wrote: »
    I love the buildings on the right. Are these the warehouses people are referring to? I always thought these could be re-developed into something like the Faneuil markets in Boston.

Yes these are the protected bonded warehouses which some people feel have no architectural merit.

Yes these are the protected bonded warehouses which some people feel have no architectural merit.

Wait what?
    Who is saying that?

If I remember the arguments were that people was complaining the the developments wanted to repurpose and develop the internals, while keeping the exterior.

Wait what?
    Who is saying that?

If I remember the arguments were that people was complaining the the developments wanted to repurpose and develop the internals, while keeping the exterior.

Christ what a joke this is. Proposal for that site to accommodate badly needed high density city apartments during a housing crisis and the 'We love the Sextant' brigade suddenly arise. Oh that's an important building! Says the person who probably literally forgot it existed until someone told them there was plans to build on the site. Same oul craic with the Port of Cork warehouses that have been sitting rotten for decades and nobody gave a sh!te about them... until developers showed interest in the site.

:rolleyes:

There is absolutely nothing about the sextant building that even remotely makes me have a quick think about maybe not knocking it. Get rid, Cork city needs the investment.

Everyone's opinions are different: I'd been down beside those bonded warehouses a few times many years ago and thought they were beautiful.

I appreciate that not everyone shares this opinion.

Loire wrote: »

Ah would you stop. The vast majority of people want to see them saved and integrated into a new development rather than the falling down ruins they currently are!

Ah would you stop. The vast majority of people want to see them saved and integrated into a new development rather than the falling down ruins they currently are!

You'd think so, yeah. I'd love to see them saved.

I believe they're listed buildings also.

But the arguments were that objectors did not want those warehouses developed for anything other than a market or public amenity Etc.
    They did not want the port of cork building (New or Old design) put there at all.

No one wants them demolished, development proponents have always wanted to incorporate them into the designs.

They are. In earlier post I complemented the mix of old and new. That's what really stands out in the proposed design for me.

But the arguments were that objectors did not want those warehouses developed for anything other than a market or public amenity Etc.
    They did not want the port of cork building (New or Old design) put there at all.

No one wants them demolished, development proponents have always wanted to incorporate them into the designs.

Yeah I don't know anything about any objectors and I'm delighted to see anyone willing to do something with the site.
    I just disagree that the idea that they were "sitting rotten for decades and nobody gave a sh!te about them... until developers showed interest in the site". Those buildings do have architectural merit.

All IMO of course. I appreciate that one person's beautiful architecture is another person's dilapidated old ruin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

how is that cork events centre coming along then ?

and Marina park?!, Tivoli, Bus Connects...it's just so incredibly frustrating the culture there with the local NIMBYs and Councillors

Advertisement