Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yes that's exactly right.
    A massive job with a massive cost. But I think the strategy of trying to wall almost the entire harbour piecemeal won't actually be possible.

The plus would be it protects the entire harbour, and environmentally the harbour stays largely the same, (yes you probably would have to blow up Fort Davis (??) and bulldoze it into the sea, ( with An absolute dam load of concrete.)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Crow's Nest Student Accommodation development expected to commence next month.

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1153596589400821760?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I don't think they're a fully proven technology.

Neither was the technology used at Ardnacrusha, it was very much a Siemens prototype. Still running 90 years later. (Just saying).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Agreed but I think that is more for free standing/floating units.

This would basically be a massive hydro electric dam no?
    Issues I see of the bat are 2 way water flow and salt water.

These two issues aren't impossible to overcome.
    Check out the OPW report on the barrier concept though: it'd require a lot of dredging etc. It's not impossible, but it's higher cost and impact than the Little Island normally open barrier concept. The Little Island normally open barrier has the lowest cost and impact of any barrier system they investigated. It's worth a read.

These two issues aren't impossible to overcome.
    Check out the OPW report on the barrier concept though: it'd require a lot of dredging etc. It's not impossible, but it's higher cost and impact than the Little Island normally open barrier concept. The Little Island normally open barrier has the lowest cost and impact of any barrier system they investigated. It's worth a read.

Long term electricity generation would pay off over several years (why was broke Ireland more long term thinking that affluent present day Ireland?)

But slit settling would be a major consideration, agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Agreed but I think that is more for free standing/floating units.

This would basically be a massive hydro electric dam no?
    Issues I see of the bat are 2 way water flow and salt water.

Not sure of anything else though

such as
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rance_Tidal_Power_Station

You need to bear two things in mind:
    1) The tidal fall at Rance (and along along that section of the coastline) is massive 8 - 15m. By contrast, the peak tidal range in Cork is about 5m. I don't know if that is sufficient to make generation viable. Given the capacity factor of arouns 23-25% of these type of installations and the lower tidal range, you could end up spending up to a billion euros for an average output of perhaps 20-30MW. I doubt that generation further upstream near Little Island would be even worth considering.

2) Marine use upstream of the Rance barrier is leisure only. There is a small lock at the Western end for the occasional yacht but that's about it. A barrier across the Cork harbour channel would have to accommodate a significant amount of commercial shipping.

You need to bear two things in mind:

2) Marine use upstream of the Rance barrier is leisure only. There is a small lock at the Western end for the occasional yacht but that's about it. A barrier across the Cork harbour channel would have to accommodate a significant amount of commercial shipping.

This alone is a massive *ahem* barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

polaris68 wrote: »
    Crow's Nest Student Accommodation development expected to commence next month.

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1153596589400821760?s=19

I'm delighted to see this go ahead. That site has been sitting derelict for must be nearly 20 yrs.

I'm delighted to see this go ahead. That site has been sitting derelict for must be nearly 20 yrs.

Not that long, I remember being in there during college.
    Burned in 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Not that long, I remember being in there during college.
    Burned in 2004

Ah ok for some reason I thought it went up in 99/2000. I definitely had a few jars there in the late 90's

• Advertisement

Maybe not the right forum, but Lakeview Roundabout is about to be upgraded:
    Cork East Fine Gael TD and Minister of State at the Department of Justice, David Stanton, has been advised that work is due to commence shortly on the construction of a slip road at Lakeview Roundabout on the N25 outside Midleton.
    https://www.thecork.ie/2019/07/22/investment-in-cork-roads-lakeview-roundabout-slip-road-midleton/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

https://www.thecork.ie/2019/07/22/investment-in-cork-roads-lakeview-roundabout-slip-road-midleton/

Hopefully they don't cock it up like they did with Shannon Park roundabout!

high horse wrote: »
    Hopefully they don't cock it up like they did with Shannon Park roundabout!

I haven't seen the design but it sounds like vehicles from East (Castlemartyr) to West (Cork) will now have to deal with a slip-lane of fast-moving traffic on their left, as they come off the roundabout.

Thinking of it in the context of cyclists/tractors/HGV's/cranes, it doesn't sound ideal.

You might say "maybe slower vehicles shouldn't be on that dual carriageway" but they are allowed to be and frequently are on it at present.

It shouldn't be that difficult, traffic taking the first exit (coming from whitegate) take the left lane of the dual carriageway exclusively,
    And all other traffic taking the n25 west, will take the right lane, traffic would merge further down the n 25
    In effect ,the dual carriageway wouldn't start till after the merge.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

You might say "maybe slower vehicles shouldn't be on that dual carriageway" but they are allowed to be and frequently are on it at present.

Honestly I have no issue with them being there, as they have no viable alternative and it is a Carriage way not Motorway

Up to faster motorists to take care when on such roads.

Area where I do have issue with is the NTA (or whomever) increasing N routes to 120kmh such as the Ballincollig bypass and Tunnel to Carrigtwohill.
    Either leave it at 100kmh or designate it as a motorway

About time, it's a nightmare

Next they should get rid of the footbridge and do a fly over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

The tidal fall at Rance (and along along that section of the coastline) is massive 8 - 15m. By contrast, the peak tidal range in Cork is about 5m.

Catching up with this thread...glad somebody finally mentioned the lack of head. 5m is way too little. For comparison, the head at Ardnacrusha is about 30m.

I'd love a fly-under personally, in a dream scenario.
    Straight-through East-West as a tunnel (cut&cover) and the surface level given back to the town. I saw this recently completed in Austria and aside from the high cost it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I'd love a fly-under personally, in a dream scenario.
    Straight-through East-West as a tunnel (cut&cover) and the surface level given back to the town. I saw this recently completed in Austria and aside from the high cost it was great.

Much better than flyovers which is all we get here.

Ultimately, this roundabout will only truly be sorted with the Middleton to Youghal road scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Does anyone know what that ugly builders' yard just on the quay behind the Bridewell is? It's been there for decades from what I remember and what I've heard and it's an absolute eyesore in a very prominent location.

What is it and what project has been on going since the 1980s?

• Advertisement

It's been closed for 13 or 14 years, there was a big city council architectural competition for the yard and the derilict ground in front of the Garda Station, but it all stopped with the bust...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/praise-for-cork-council-urban-design-project-1.443995

So the competition was in 2005, and it was still a working timber yard after that...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It was an appliance repair workshop no? Whirlpool or some such

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It was an appliance repair workshop no? Whirlpool or some such
    Philips I think

I think the builders providers was Parker
    S,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I don't know where to ask this. Where has the restaurants recommendations thread gone? It's not showing up in the list of threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

I don't know where to ask this. Where has the restaurants recommendations thread gone? It's not showing up in the list of threads.

It's at the very top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

It's at the very top of the page.

Was hidden in mobile view under separate menu called "important threads".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Site is cleared for the housing development at the 'Circus Field' in Ballincollig.

486642.jpg

opus wrote: »
    Site is cleared for the housing development at the 'Circus Field' in Ballincollig.

486642.jpg

That's across from the white horse and supervalue,??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Markcheese wrote: »
    That's across from the white horse and supervalue,??
    Yup, was wondering what was going in there when I passed it at the weekend.

Advertisement