Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted on a jog back from the Marina this evening, planning permission for the docklands tower is up! Yes that does say 34 stories, who'd have expected that in Cork a few years ago :)

486784.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

opus wrote: »
    Spotted on a jog back from the Marina this evening, planning permission for the docklands tower is up! Yes that does say 34 stories, who'd have expected that in Cork a few years ago :)

486784.jpg

Fantastic. It's going to be a struggle to get this fantastic proposal off the ground with objectors but fingers crossed we see this built.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

There’s apparently been planning gone in for a McDonald’s near Kinsale Manor housing estate but I don’t see any planning notices on any sites around there. Anybody know if it’s actually going ahead or is it a rumor? There’s been a couple of attempts to out a McDonald’s in Kinsale before but it’s always been blocked by residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

That might just be the most upvotes ever, for a low-res, poorly-lit photo of a planning notice! :P

Huge tracks of hill being moved behind old St. Finbarr's, Farrenferris.

Are they finally beginning works on the primary school building for Gaelscoil Pheig Sayers?

• Advertisement

The new student hub in UCC looks like it's doesn't have too far to go.

486864.jpg
    486865.jpg

OK this is where I go all traditionalist.

Why the hell is UCC, repeatedly, destroying it's beauty?
    There is no way that this building looks at all complimentary

Giant shipping containers with windows is what came to mind when I saw it! They already have a student centre so I wait with interest to see what exactly a student hub is.

A friend of mine got the guided tour, said the views are fantastic.

Yeah, it does look like stacked shipping containers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

its hideous, at least if its was grey it might not stand out as bad as it does against the traditional building.

For every nice new building in this grey maritime dump there is a dozen ugly things.
    Guess its all about cost, backhanders, etc, but design and style is sadly lacking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

Dont they have to make it not blend in among the traditional buildings tho. The idea is its supposed to stick out, and not be "faux traditional"

RINO87 wrote: »
    Dont they have to make it not blend in among the traditional buildings tho. The idea is its supposed to stick out, and not be "faux traditional"

Why?
    It's a university, traditional is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I think it blends in quite well with its surroundings:
    ?width=630&version=1338215

I think it blends in quite well with its surroundings:
    ?width=630&version=1338215

I didn't say that this was a new phenomenon but at least the science building is off on its own a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

And yet in zones with little to no historic architecture ie; Port of Cork / Docklands the opposition crowd are getting their knickers in a right old twist! For nothing really.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Steve456

They already have a student centre so I wait with interest to see what exactly a student hub is.

It's supposed to be a one-stop shop for all student-facing admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

its hideous, at least if its was grey it might not stand out as bad as it does against the traditional building.

For every nice new building in this grey maritime dump there is a dozen ugly things.
    Guess its all about cost, backhanders, etc, but design and style is sadly lacking

I can assure you this certainly isn't the case.
    This is very much the desired design. O'Donnell + Tuomey are the architects.

Most people will never see it but this is kicking off shortly in the Lee Maltings.
    Permission is sought by University College Cork for development at the 'Phase 3 Building', Tyndall National Institute, Lee Maltings, Dyke Parade and Prospect Row, Cork. The proposed development comprises external and internal conservation works...and associated site works to the 'Phase 3 Building', a former Malting Kiln Building, which is a protected structure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

marno21 wrote: »

Fingers crossed this one doesn’t succumb to some pointless objection. If it goes ahead, I think it could really kick start the docklands regeneration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

486784.jpg

I would have thought 34 is too high? It would have a higher environmental cost than a number of say 5 storey buildings? Plus the tourists that come here from overseas, do they want their image of Ireland shattered by 34 storey buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

janfebmar wrote: »
    I would have thought 34 is too high? It would have a higher environmental cost than a number of say 5 storey buildings? Plus the tourists that come here from overseas, do they want their image of Ireland shattered by 34 storey buildings?

You’re right. They should have just built a bungalow down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

There’s enough a scenic countryside in Ireland that a tall building in a city isn’t going to ruin their holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Plus the tourists that come here from overseas, do they want their image of Ireland shattered by 34 storey buildings?

I don't think they whould expect to see rolling green hills in a city centre TBF. Tourism is huge in this country but when it comes to cities and particularly Cork right now - they're growing and they should grow upward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I was shocked recently to visit London only to find it doesn't still look like Peeky Blinders :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

You’re right. They should have just built a bungalow down there.

A bungalow is not the same as a cluster of say 5-storey buildings. Tourists may come to Ireland expecting to see thatched cottages but we must be realistic in accommodating our requirements. Do we really want to change our cityscape to be like every other large city in the world? Or should that be debated first? I am not convinced either way.

A bungalow is not the same as a cluster of say 5-storey buildings. Tourists may come to Ireland expecting to see thatched cottages but we must be realistic in accommodating our requirements. Do we really want to change our cityscape to be like every other large city in the world? Or should that be debated first? I am not convinced either way.

Yeah, because 5-6 storey buildings have really helped Dublin combat sprawl and accommodation needs
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Do we really want to change our cityscape to be like every other large city in the world?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You ok hun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I was shocked recently to visit London only to find it doesn't still look like Peeky Blinders :eek:

That shard ruined your view of the cotswolds I bet.

Advertisement