Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

janfebmar wrote: »
    Do we really want to change our cityscape to be like every other large city in the world?
    yes
    Or should that be debated first? I am not convinced either way.

No, debate time is over we've already destroyed the country with sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

I would have thought 34 is too high? It would have a higher environmental cost than a number of say 5 storey buildings? Plus the tourists that come here from overseas, do they want their image of Ireland shattered by 34 storey buildings?

Are we going to deprive the people of Cork of 400 homes because of some tourists visiting the Dingle Peninsula?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

I would have thought 34 is too high? It would have a higher environmental cost than a number of say 5 storey buildings? Plus the tourists that come here from overseas, do they want their image of Ireland shattered by 34 storey buildings?

This comment must be a wind up, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Meursault wrote: »
    This comment must be a wind up, surely?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Thankfully, from people I've spoken to, the opponents seem to be in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

opus wrote: »
    Spotted on a jog back from the Marina this evening, planning permission for the docklands tower is up! Yes that does say 34 stories, who'd have expected that in Cork a few years ago :)

486784.jpg

Please do explain how one 34 storey tower has a higher environmental cost than a number of 5 storey buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Please do explain how one 34 storey tower has a higher environmental cost than a number of 5 storey buildings.

I'd also say that visitors to Ireland would be more impressed with a compact, low environmental impact modern city with high rise than a sprawling mess of ticky tacky boxes going off into the previously unspoilt countryside.

The area under development is docklands. It's hosted heavy industries like coal fired power generation, manufacturing like Ford and Dunlop and countless other very high environmental impact facilities in the past.

The impact of sprawl, increased traffic and building low rise over what was green space is FAR FAR worse.

If anything this structure reduces Cork's environmental impact and goes a long way towards cleaning up and restoring what is currently a brownfield site that has been a post industrial mess for decades and opens up a disused part of the city as a vibrant, lived and worked in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Who gives a flying fuxk what tourists think.

We’re building for us. People
    Who actually live in Cork.

Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

sozbox wrote: »

Christ almighty.

Is it not going to be a hotel though?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Plus the tourists that come here from overseas, do they want their image of Ireland shattered by 34 storey buildings?

You mean improved surely.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Is it not going to be a hotel though?

Yeah but it will provide a lot of jobs, lessen the need for other plots be needed for hotels, allow easier planning for Docklands apartment complexes, and provide a template for other structures.

I imagine that any tourists in that hotel will not care that a city centre hotel is large and caters to their needs centrally. So their opinion on what kind of hotel gets built (5 Vs 34 storey) is not really material

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Plus the tourists that come here from overseas, do they want their image of Ireland shattered by 34 storey buildings?

Really ?

I thought the mountains of rubbish bags dumped on the sides of roads in most of the council estates would be worse

or how about the little chav urchins going around day and night on their scrambler bikes ripping up what few green areas are left

or maybe the travellers and their sulkies on the main roads

What about the dead horse in a ditch yesterday in cork

What about spring lane and the thousands of tonnes of litter.

The feral dogs running amok neither licensed, vaccinated, micro chipped, or controlled

How about the beggars that have made places like McCurtain Street the begging capital of Europe.

I can assure you a 30 odd storey building will not be among the negative impressions a tourist would take away from cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

sozbox wrote: »

Christ almighty.

I suppose we should all put on our stage O’Irish accents, hide the telly, get out the horse and trap and get the house thatched? lol

Tourists’ impressions of Cork City in my experience tend to be a *lot* more positive than most of the posts that I’m seeing here!

Making Cork more densely populated means more people, more vibrancy and more money spent in the city center and that’s fundamentally what this city lives or dies on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I am no expert, but I read that "Lifts alone can account for between 5% and 15% of the running costs of a high building. Tall buildings by their very nature can use twice as much energy as equivalent low buildings – to raise people, goods, water etc." Other people are of the opinion high-rise builds cost more to construct, and that there are daylight/microclimate impacts, effects on the historic environment etc”.

Also tall problems can create other unexpected challenges, you do not need to look at major disasters in high rise buildings around the world to see that.
    Really ?

I thought the mountains of rubbish bags dumped on the sides of roads in most of the council estates would be worse

or how about the little chav urchins going around day and night on their scrambler bikes ripping up what few green areas are left

or maybe the travellers and their sulkies on the main roads

What about the dead horse in a ditch yesterday in cork

What about spring lane and the thousands of tonnes of litter.

The feral dogs running amok neither licensed, vaccinated, micro chipped, or controlled

How about the beggars that have made places like McCurtain Street the begging capital of Europe.

Maybe we should be able to fix the above problems or maintain the above better before we try to maintain a 30 storey? Like 2 wrongs do not make a right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I am no expert
    That's where you should have stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Also tall problems can create other unexpected challenges, you do not need to look at major disasters in high rise buildings around the world to see that.

Ah would you give over. Yes, there is occasionally a tragedy in a high rise building somewhere. But the incidence of these tragedies has to be seen in proportion to the huge number of such buildings in the World. By the same token, we occasionally hear about a bus crash somewhere killing dozens, but nobody would use this to justify not using buses, apart from Dustin Hoffman's character in Rain Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Are these the type of complaints ABP have to put up with when approving a building project?

Cos I don't envy them having their time wasted with nonsense like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I suspect you've never been on McCurtain or you've never been in another city.

What hyperbolic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nyck04

cantalach wrote: »
    Ah would you give over. Yes, there is occasionally a tragedy in a high rise building somewhere. But the incidence of these tragedies has to be seen in proportion to the huge number of such buildings in the World. By the same token, we occasionally hear about a bus crash somewhere killing dozens, but nobody would use this to justify not using buses, apart from Dustin Hoffman's character in Rain Man.

I think you are replying to a wind up merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I've never counted more than 1 beggar at anytime on MacCurtain Street and must have walked it over 1,000 times.

There can be a few drunks about the place alright. But there's 3 off licences on or next to MacCurtain Street and it's across the bridge from The Simon Community building, so that's inevitable.

It's not even the main begging spot in Cork. For the poster to say Europe is beyond a silly comparison.

I suspect you've never been on McCurtain or you've never been in another city.

What hyperbolic nonsense.

I have been in Germany, France,Belgium, Holland , Wales, Scotland, England and the North, and nowhere comes as bad as cork to begging......only amstrerdam in Holland might come close.

I had a pint outside Dan Lowreys about ten days ago and was tapped by 5 different people.
    I have been tapped constantly outside the shelbourne and cork arms when having a smoke.

I dont get why you are so defensive about the city when begging is worse than its ever been, and if you cannot see that, your judgement is clouded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Crimsonred

I've never counted more than 1 beggar at anytime on MacCurtain Street and must have walked it over 1,000 times.

There can be a few drunks about the place alright. But there's 3 off licences on or next to MacCurtain Street and it's across the bridge from The Simon Community building, so that's inevitable.

It's not even the main begging spot in Cork. For the poster to say Europe is beyond a silly comparison.

Dublin is the worst city in the western world for begging, that city is a blot on the Irish landscape.

Heroin is an awful scourge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Crimsonred wrote: »
    Dublin is the worst city in the western world for begging,

I’m not a fan of Dublin but that is simply untrue. Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Portland - to name just three wealthy U.S. cities I’ve visited in the last two years - all have a much bigger problem with homelessness and begging than Dublin.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

cantalach wrote: »
    I’m not a fan of Dublin but that is simply untrue. Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Portland - to name just three wealthy U.S. cities I’ve visited in the last two years - all have a much bigger problem with homelessness and begging than Dublin.

You can add Vancouver to that list as well in terms of scale. The beggars were very polite there and not threatening at all for the most part. I do find the begging in Dublin borderline aggressive at times though. Cork isn't too bad. I've encountered passive aggression the odd time from beggars here but nothing too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Anyone who thinks the begging in Cork is bad needs to open their eyes when traveling to pretty much any city around Europe.

Speaking of McCurtain street I think it's turning into one of the best streets in the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Italix wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the begging in Cork is bad needs to open their eyes when traveling to pretty much any city around Europe.

Speaking of McCurtain street I think it's turning into one of the best streets in the City.

Good vibe on MacCurtain Street alright. Badly let down by the shítshow that is parking there. Double parking is common and the bus lane might as well not exist as it is constantly jammed with cars parked up.

Italix wrote: »

because its such a busy hub these days and a good spot, that is why you are getting the beggars.

I take it you are not a smoker, cos if you were you would be tapped constantly not just by homeless, but every urchin looking for a euro or a fag,, while you were on the street

And I have been around europe, believe me McCurtain street is bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

because its such a busy hub these days and a good spot, that is why you are getting the beggars.

I take it you are not a smoker, cos if you were you would be tapped constantly not just by homeless, but every urchin looking for a euro or a fag,, while you were on the street

And I have been around europe, believe me McCurtain street is bad
    No. Been to McCurtain St a number of times. Waited outside Sun of a Bun the last time for 20-25mins. Not one beggar spotted, not even on the way back to the car at the end of Wellington St. Not bad for the worst place in Western Europe for begging (which is a fabrication and liars just get added to the ignore list).

I'm sorry but MacCurtin Street is nothing compared to Dublin streets abd certainly not even worth comparing to Lisbon, London, or Bilbao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The worst thing about McCurtain street is the road itself. It's in an appalling state. Whole thing needs to be resurfaced and the road slightly widened outside the leisureplex to actually accommodate the 3 lanes that's it's supposed to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The worst thing about McCurtain street is the road itself. It's in an appalling state. Whole thing needs to be resurfaced and the road slightly widened outside the leisureplex to actually accommodate the 3 lanes that's it's supposed to have.

Plan is to resurface and go contra-flow

Advertisement