Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

Planning has been submitted to Cork City Council for the highest building in the country.

Nice to see The Echo not taking sides:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/A-planning-application-for-Irelands-tallest-building-has-been-lodged-with-Cork-City-Council-bffb8551-7013-4c97-aba0-745e2a3bdb4b-ds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

really hope this goes ahead

sadly you just know some will object, and the council I have little faith in, and red tape in this country could mean even if it goes ahead, it will take far longer than expected.

I do hope i am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

Is that councilor suggesting social housing should been thrown in on top of the hotel? If he is suggesting more residential units needed in that area I assume he’s backing the sextant development which has also been applied for last week. Although he is probably suggesting a hotel should be added into that residential development 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

Is that councilor suggesting social housing should been thrown in on top of the hotel? If he is suggesting more residential units needed in that area I assume he’s backing the sextant development which has also been applied for last week. Although he is probably suggesting a hotel should be added into that residential development ��

Why is it I feel that I would not be surprised if the likes of this politician opposes the Sextant development while insisting this one has a residential accomodation?

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Why is it I feel that I would not be surprised if the likes of this politician opposes the Sextant development while insisting this one has a residential accomodation?

because he thinks pubs and social housing go hand in hand ?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

really hope this goes ahead

sadly you just know some will object, and the council I have little faith in, and red tape in this country could mean even if it goes ahead, it will take far longer than expected.

I do hope i am wrong

Its a given there will be objections submitted and this means it will be delayed by approx 6 months to a year. I'm expecting that to be honest. I'm more concerned that the building will shrink to appease the perpetually disapproving.

Of course I hope i'm wrong but its likely IMO it will get decreased by 5 - 10 floors. Can't have too big a shadow cast on the river. It'll upset the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Its a given there will be objections submitted and this means it will be delayed by approx 6 months to a year. I'm expecting that to be honest. I'm more concerned that the building will shrink to appease the perpetually disapproving.

Of course I hope i'm wrong but its likely IMO it will get decreased by 5 - 10 floors. Can't have too big a shadow cast on the river. It'll upset the fish.

Remember it’s already after been shrunk by 13 storey’s. It was initially 47 on their website and after nearly two years in consultation with the city council I imagine all will go ahead as planned. Fingers crossed.

No doudt it will upset someone or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

New CSO stats for new dwelling completions for Q2 2019 are out: https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ndc/newdwellingcompletionsq22019/

139 units completed between the Northside and Southside up 1 from Q1, if you include the suburbs (Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Cobh, Glanmire) it's 282 up from 240 last quarter. 539 completed in the whole county up from 427 in Q1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

snotboogie wrote: »
    New CSO stats for new dwelling completions for Q2 2019 are out: https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ndc/newdwellingcompletionsq22019/

139 units completed between the Northside and Southside up 1 from Q1, if you include the suburbs (Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Cobh, Glanmire) it's 282 up from 240 last quarter. 539 completed in the whole county up from 427 in Q1.

I misread you!

Looks like Cork city suburbia is where most of the building is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Boutique-hotel-to-open-on-Corks-South-Mall-targeting-Millennials-db3d5e0d-ec74-4677-9906-01cc0379e665-ds

Why not build apartments in there instead? Maybe in wrong but i dont believe there is a hotel crisis in the country. And Isn't there already hotel being built 2mins away over the old fas building?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Burty330 wrote: »
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Boutique-hotel-to-open-on-Corks-South-Mall-targeting-Millennials-db3d5e0d-ec74-4677-9906-01cc0379e665-ds

Why not build apartments in there instead? Maybe in wrong but i dont believe there is a hotel crisis in the country. And Isn't there already hotel being built 2mins away over the old fas building?

God knows when that hotel will be built. It's fortunes seemed to be linked to the event centre.

Apartments on the South Mall will be very rare, for the foreseeable future.

It's a business street (always has been) and if we have to have hotels, I would rather them there (where we were never getting apartments) than somewhere viable for a multi purpose development.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Lack of hotels is resulting in apartments being used as Airbnb.
    This results in too few apartments being available for housing.

Every new bed helps the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Lack of hotels is resulting in apartments being used as Airbnb.
    This results in too few apartments being available for housing.

Every new bed helps the housing crisis.

It's too simplistic to say lack of hotels has resulted in Airbnb using apartments. Rip off hotels plus the reality that a lot of people prefer to have a home away from home while away as opposed to staying a hotel room are also at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 trackrunner

Tower crane up in the last few days for the student apartments on the old O’Mahony Packaging building on Melbourne Road.

OMahony-Packaging-1.jpg

OMahony-Packaging-2.jpg

No tower crane on Farrenlea Road student accommodation site yet but steady progress still been made.

farranlea-road-1.jpg

farranlea-road-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's too simplistic to say lack of hotels has resulted in Airbnb using apartments. Rip off hotels plus the reality that a lot of people prefer to have a home away from home while away as opposed to staying a hotel room are also at play.

I wasn't saying it was literally the only reason :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I wasn't saying it was literally the only reason :rolleyes:

Yeah the rolleyes tell it all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

You’d actually need to start offering aparthotels to deal with the Airbnb issue. There’s clearly a demand for self catering and it’s something you see a lot on the continent, especially for business travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

You’d actually need to start offering aparthotels to deal with the Airbnb issue. There’s clearly a demand for self catering and it’s something you see a lot on the continent, especially for business travel.

Something like Staycity, which operate in Dublin already I believe.

Tower crane up in the last few days for the student apartments on the old O’Mahony Packaging building on Melbourne Road.

OMahony-Packaging-1.jpg

OMahony-Packaging-2.jpg

No tower crane on Farrenlea Road student accommodation site yet but steady progress still been made.

farranlea-road-1.jpg

farranlea-road-2.jpg

Great update! Looks like there won't be a crane at Farranlea Rd given the progress made already

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/CorkCraneCount/status/1161246273049169920

Brilliant tweet from Cork Crane Count today showing how dense the area around the two public transport stations is becoming.

And this is before any development east of Albert Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Nice way of highlighting the 'cluster'. It still misses the Victoria Road apartments (6 & 10 floors) and the Dean St. hotel (7 floors). There's an additional building in Horgan's Quay not shown either (right where "Hertz Car Hire" is written) but may be included in the building heights listed below.

Apartments on Millerd St are up to first floor level.

488088.jpg

As well I spotted the planning notice for the alterations to student flats at the Coca Cola site on the Straight Road is stuck on the fence.

I thought Coca Cola were fully through planning?

Another tall building gone for planning in Cork:

Fast track planning permission being sought for 17-storey apartment tower in Cork city

The article also includes and update on the Mahon Tower site which is "quietly being marketed for sale" looking at the developers for this tower I would fear the same outcome here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Another tall building gone for planning in Cork:

Fast track planning permission being sought for 17-storey apartment tower in Cork city

The article also includes and update on the Mahon Tower site which is "quietly being marketed for sale" looking at the developers for this tower I would fear the same outcome here

Serious ambition shown in Cork. Imagine if all the planned high rises go ahead as in how high will the rest of the docklands become as development moves downstream!!

I thought Coca Cola were fully through planning?

Went back for alterations, someone posted about it either here or on the Sky Scraper City forum previously. I just noticed the planning notice as I was jogging past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Advertisement